Author Topic: Richardson to legalize medical marijuana  (Read 2302 times)

The_Professor

Richardson to legalize medical marijuana
« on: March 17, 2007, 02:28:43 PM »
Richardson to legalize medical marijuana
'Its the right thing to do' despite concerns about presidential ambitions

The Associated Press
Updated: 11:38 a.m. ET March 16, 2007
SANTA FE, N.M. - Democratic Gov. Bill Richardson, poised to sign a bill making New Mexico the 12th state to legalize medical marijuana, said Thursday he realizes his action could become an issue in the presidential race.

"So what if it's risky? It's the right thing to do," said Richardson, one of the candidates in the crowded 2008 field. "What we're talking about is 160 people in deep pain. It only affects them."

The legislation would create a program under which some patients - with a doctor's recommendation - could use marijuana provided by the state health department. Lawmakers approved the bill Wednesday. The governor is expected to sign it in the next few weeks.

The proposal and the presidency
Richardson has supported the proposal since he first ran in 2002. But he pushed especially hard for it this year, leaning on some Democrats to change their votes after the bill initially failed.

"Give him credit. It's not something you do because you're going to garner great political support for it. It is a bit controversial," said Thomas Mann, a political analyst at the Brookings Institution in Washington. By the same token, Mann says, it is not likely to hurt him in the Democratic contests.

"If he were to surprise us all and actually win the Democratic nomination, he's got an interesting mix of positions" that would not be undercut by his support of medical marijuana, Mann said.

"It's an interesting risk," added Lonna Atkeson, professor of political science at the University of New Mexico. "I'm somewhat surprised, because I think he's sort of cautious, usually."

A majority of the states that have legalized medical marijuana are in the West, and Atkeson suggested his position could play well in the region. But it could also give Richardson's rivals a potential issue to focus on.

'My God, let's be reasonable'
Drug Policy Alliance New Mexico said Richardson will be the first presidential candidate ever to advocate medical marijuana "by vocally supporting and signing legislation."

In signing the measure, Richardson "will be sending a strong message that states can and should exercise their right to do what is in the best interest of their citizens free from intrusion from the Federal government," said Reena Szczepanski of the advocacy group.

Richardson said he has been asked about the issue by only a few voters while campaigning in Iowa. He said the White House had urged him not to sign the bill.

"I don't see it as being a big issue," he said. "This is for medicinal purpose, for ... people that are suffering. My God, let's be reasonable," he said.

The federal government declares marijuana an illegal controlled substance with no medical value.

A federal appeals court in San Francisco ruled on Wednesday that a woman whose doctor says marijuana is the only medicine keeping her alive can face federal prosecution on drug charges.

The Supreme Court ruled against the woman two years ago, saying medical marijuana users and their suppliers could be prosecuted for breaching federal drug laws even if they lived in a state such as California where medical pot is legal.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17643246/

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Richardson to legalize medical marijuana
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 02:44:26 PM »
Stoner Crowd..........check
Libertarians..............check

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 04:28:10 PM »
Stoner Crowd..........check
Libertarians..............check

There is a growing croud of cancer survivers and others who might gain a miedicinal benifit ...check them and their freinds?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 10:20:18 PM »
People who don't want to build more prisons than schools-------check

Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 11:31:14 PM »
There is a growing croud of cancer survivers and others who might gain a miedicinal benifit ...check them and their freinds?

People who don't want to build more prisons than schools-------check

Every voting bloc counts in the primary game.  If i were to consider voting dem Richardson has the experience that would make him very palatable.

Foreign affairs.......check
executive experience......check
tax cutter..........check
NRA approval ............. check

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 12:28:20 AM »
In signing the measure, Richardson "will be sending a strong message that states can and should exercise their right to do what is in the best interest of their citizens free from intrusion from the Federal government," said Reena Szczepanski of the advocacy group.

I'm pretty sure I was told that "states rights" is just a code word for racism.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

MissusDe

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 12:33:55 AM »
"So what if it's risky? It's the right thing to do."

If more politicians - both liberal and conservative - took this stance, we'd all benefit. 

It's a shame that many politicians begin their careers with a true desire to make a difference for the better....but then they quickly discover that  in order to attract backers and votes, they need to become a packaged commodity based on style over substance. Governor Richardson appears to be more concerned about what is best for the people rather than what is best for his own interests, and that attitude is in short supply among our country's politicians.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 02:46:02 AM »
I heard (via SNL) that the NM anti-cockfighting bill passed.

Will it take longer to pass the medical marijuana bill?  Will there be irate preachers?  Will there be uncomfortable dinner table discussions?  "Mom, what do YOU think about..." ;)
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 02:57:26 AM »
Will there be irate preachers?

Does it matter who opposes?

Will there be uncomfortable dinner table discussions?  "Mom, what do YOU think about..."

I don't think the medicinal marijuana issue is about smoking dope. I think it is a states rights issue. Besides if a parent smoked marijuana in the past or even still smokes it, being honest shouldn't be an uncomfortable situation when discussing it with your children. Honesty should be the policy, all part of the teaching process.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 03:10:47 AM by BT »

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 04:51:40 PM »
Sure, it matters who opposes.  The congregations write letters, send emails, etc. to their state representatives.  They may see it and  paint it as a gateway to legalizing drugs period, and if that sticks, then there is no pain relief for the people the bill intends to help.  You know how things get off track.   

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 07:32:46 PM »
Sure, it matters who opposes.  The congregations write letters, send emails, etc. to their state representatives.  They may see it and  paint it as a gateway to legalizing drugs period, and if that sticks, then there is no pain relief for the people the bill intends to help.  You know how things get off track.   

You seem to have a problem with preachers. My guess is big evil pharma would be the ones to fight it harder than some church folk. And the feds will fight it because it is a control issue and of course they get their pockets lined by big evil pharma.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 07:43:45 PM »
I really don't have a problem with preachers; I know they have power of persuasion over people in their churches.  I went to marches and did volunteer work during the 60s that our preacher spoke about.