Author Topic: Free HDTV  (Read 1483 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Free HDTV
« on: December 22, 2007, 02:59:38 PM »
Here's how to build the antenna for peanuts.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/762088/coat_hanger_hdtv_antenna_better_than_store_bought_amazing.

This will work fine with a standard 3X4 TV if you have an HDTV converter or a DVD or VHS playerwith an HDTV built in.

No cable, no dish required. FREE. Always my favorite price.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Free HDTV
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 01:12:50 AM »
lol
I recognize that
It`s a fishbone
I think the real name is swan antenea
great vid
that should also make a great regular tv antenae
I have most of the parts lying around.
I will make one
thanks
that`s 50`s technology
good to see siomething are still usable

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 06:30:35 AM »
An HDTV antenna requires a slightly different configuration than an NTSC antenna.

I bought an HDTV tuner, but another possibility would be to buy a DVD or VHS player with a DVD tuner built into it, which would not cost much more.

When they first started talking about HDTV, everyone said the tuners should cost around $50, but there are none available at this price.

Amazon does have some listed, though.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 09:59:23 AM »
When they first started talking about HDTV, everyone said the tuners should cost around $50, but there are none available at this price.

You continue to confuse "digital TV" with "HDTV".

Digital TV tuners are cheap. You can buy a TV with a digital tuner for under $100.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 11:18:42 AM »
Where?

I have seen none for this price. More importantly to what I originally posted, I have NEVER seen a digital TV tuner for the $50 price quoted.

"under $100" means $99.99 plus tax and perhaps shipping. That is DOUBLE $50.

All HDTV is digital.

This antenna will enable anyone to receive HDTV and all digital TV signals.

You were not confused by what I posted, you just like to niggle.

niggle, niggle, niggle.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 11:25:08 AM by Xavier_Onassis »

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 01:08:53 PM »
All HDTV is digital.

But not all digital is HDTV. High Definition TV is a subset of digital service. That means that there are other digital services that are not HDTV.

Where?

I've provided the links to Walmart's TVs with digital tuners for under $100 several times now. Heck, I saw a TV with a digital receiver at Walmart just after Thanksgiving for $49.99. HDTV receivers for computers are under $50 link, and regular digital receivers for computers are under $20 link.

I have seen none for this price. More importantly to what I originally posted, I have NEVER seen a digital TV tuner for the $50 price quoted.

Here is one for $56 and change. link Didn't feel like spending any more time educating you, since you apparently cannot understand English.

This antenna will enable anyone to receive HDTV and all digital TV signals.

No it won't. It will allow anyone with a digital TV tuner to receive digital signals. Most TVs sold in the last 15 years or so have had digital tuners. Most, however, do not have HDTV tuners, but like I said, not all digital is HDTV.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 01:13:36 PM »
We were getting free HDTV, as soon as we bought our seperate HD tuner with the Digital TV approx 3yrs ago, and using our existing antenna.  No modifications necessary    8)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 01:49:47 PM »
You can receive digital TV with a standard antenna, but you will get stronger signals and more stations with an antenna configured for the new frequency. I am using a powered Terk antenna at present, and some stations break up a bit and more distant ones do not come in at all. An indoor rabbit-ear antenna works rather poorly when you use it with digital signals.

The $56.00 digital tuner is not only unavailable, they want nearly $19 to send it. That is rather a lot more than $50. The best way to get a digital signal would be to buy a DVD or DVD/VHS player with the tuner included. These are mostly available only on line.

If you should venture to a retail electronics store, like Brands Mart, and ask about digital antennas, they will try to sell you a thousand dollar TV that still will only work with cable or dish. They have never heard of digital tuners, or digital radios or digital anything other that "HDTV ready" TVs.

It is incredible how utterly ignorant commission sales clowns  such stores are . I do not think many of them could empty piss out of his shoe if the instructions were written on the bottom of the sole.

Of course, I meant that the DIY antenna will pick up a digital signal only by use of a digital tuner. This seemed too obvious to mention to a genius like Ami, who seems to feel we are unaware of his omniscience.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 02:07:17 PM »
You can receive digital TV with a standard antenna, but you will get stronger signals and more stations with an antenna configured for the new frequency.

As I said, I was getting HD with my existing antenna, 720P, the amount my TV could muster with the HD tuner.  No modifications necessary, and completely free

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 03:30:14 PM »
The $56.00 digital tuner is not only unavailable, they want nearly $19 to send it. That is rather a lot more than $50. The best way to get a digital signal would be to buy a DVD or DVD/VHS player with the tuner included. These are mostly available only on line.

Since I have no need of it - I've bought TVs with in the last 15 years, so they all have digital tuners already - I've never really looked for it. I also use satellite, so I have no need of the digital tuner in the set, much less buying another one. Considering I found one for $56 after searching for like 10 seconds, I'm pretty sure that a dedicated search will find one for under $50. As I said, they're available for computers for under $20.

If you should venture to a retail electronics store, like Brands Mart, and ask about digital antennas, they will try to sell you a thousand dollar TV that still will only work with cable or dish. They have never heard of digital tuners, or digital radios or digital anything other that "HDTV ready" TVs.

I don't walk into any store until I've done my research ahead of time. Then I can't be sold something I don't want or need.

Of course, I meant that the DIY antenna will pick up a digital signal only by use of a digital tuner. This seemed too obvious to mention to a genius like Ami, who seems to feel we are unaware of his omniscience.

Of course, we will never be unaware of your omniscience, since you tell us about it all the time.