Author Topic: The Hunting of the (terrorist) Snark  (Read 56924 times)

Cynthia

Re: The Hunting of the (terrorist) Snark
« Reply #165 on: July 18, 2008, 02:27:17 PM »
Brought back, not by popular demand, but by a demand that is long overdue.

We are at a stage in this "war" situation where we have to borrow troops from Iraq to fight in Afghanistan. That is the result of poor planning on the part of the US. ie. Bush and his own team.

Perhaps i misunderstood you. Were you not in favor of fighting the Taliban and Al Queda in Afghanistan? If memory serves Bear and Prince have never had a problem with us being there.

So with calls for a new surge in Afghanistan being heard and implemented i don't foresee any objections from those who disagree with a position in Iraq. Because it is a popular demand from the US population.

True, but, I strongly believe that we should have fought in Afghanistan ONLY.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #166 on: July 18, 2008, 02:34:52 PM »

You are certainly entitled to that opion. And over time you just might get your wish.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #167 on: July 18, 2008, 03:49:20 PM »

You are certainly entitled to that opinion. And over time you just might get your wish.
======================================

Wouldn't this involve the use of a time-travel device?

Unless there is a change in the space-time continuum, having invaded Iraq, we shall ALWAYS have invaded Iraq.

Does the modal auxiliary verb "should" used in the future or present tense have any real meaning with regard to past actions?

I mean, unless time travel is effectuated, I mean.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 03:53:27 PM by Xavier_Onassis »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: July 18, 2008, 04:49:19 PM »
I think common sense, Xo, produces the context that in time, our troops may only be in Afghanistan         ::)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: July 18, 2008, 05:17:53 PM »

On the contrary  the course of recent history seems to have proven it quite well.

Not that I can see. Again, we've provided recruitment tools and a training ground. We have not acquired Osama bin Laden. Al-Qaeda still functions and is possibly growing. So, no, that "the Bush plan [...] maximises harm to the organisation" has not been proven at all.

To address the rest of your post, I would only end up repeating myself. And I really don't feel like doing that today.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: July 18, 2008, 06:29:58 PM »
Brought back, not by popular demand, but by a demand that is long overdue.

We are at a stage in this "war" situation where we have to borrow troops from Iraq to fight in Afghanistan. That is the result of poor planning on the part of the US. ie. Bush and his own team.

Perhaps i misunderstood you. Were you not in favor of fighting the Taliban and Al Queda in Afghanistan? If memory serves Bear and Prince have never had a problem with us being there.

So with calls for a new surge in Afghanistan being heard and implemented i don't foresee any objections from those who disagree with a position in Iraq. Because it is a popular demand from the US population.

How would that have worked?

Can we suppose that Al Queda would have stayed in Afganistan while we rounded them all up?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: July 18, 2008, 06:33:13 PM »

On the contrary  the course of recent history seems to have proven it quite well.

Not that I can see. Again, we've provided recruitment tools and a training ground. We have not acquired Osama bin Laden. Al-Qaeda still functions and is possibly growing. So, no, that "the Bush plan [...] maximises harm to the organisation" has not been proven at all.

To address the rest of your post, I would only end up repeating myself. And I really don't feel like doing that today.

I don't know why you can't see it , the FBI and CIA had success after success going after individuals who were brought to trial , but the concept of law enforcement is a flawed way to conduct a war. Law enforcement worked to reduce the KKK and the Mafia but we controll the territory they haunt already.

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: July 18, 2008, 06:56:55 PM »
If memory serves Bear and Prince have never had a problem with us being there.

The only problem I have had with the US having troops in Afghanistan is that our beloved something-or-other-in chief didn't leave enough of them there long enough to finish the job properly. Would have saved a lot of grief if he had.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: July 18, 2008, 08:03:02 PM »
If memory serves Bear and Prince have never had a problem with us being there.

The only problem I have had with the US having troops in Afghanistan is that our beloved something-or-other-in chief didn't leave enough of them there long enough to finish the job properly. Would have saved a lot of grief if he had.

What would be the point of chaseing them entirely out of Afganistan?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: July 18, 2008, 08:22:51 PM »
Local Afghans in the border regions are increasingly concerned about the return of the "Araban" or "Ikhwanis," as Arab fighters are known in the Pashtun language, Williams wrote in a CTC paper. He said there were rumors of hardened Arab fighters from Iraq training Afghan Pashtuns in the previously taboo tactic of suicide bombing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/18/afghanistan-draws-foreign_n_113544.html

Turkey also appears to have emerged as a source of recruits. Williams estimated as many as 100 Turks had made their way to Pakistan to join the fight in Afghanistan.

"The story of Turkish involvement in transnational jihadism is one of the best kept stories of the war on terror," said Williams, who noted that al-Qaida videos posted on YouTube mention Turks engaging in the insurgency. "The local Afghans whom I talked to claim that the Turks and other foreigners are more prone to suicidal assaults than the local Taliban."

Cynthia

« Reply #175 on: July 18, 2008, 08:36:03 PM »
I think common sense, Xo, produces the context that in time, our troops may only be in Afghanistan         ::)

But, that is not what I said, Sirs. Indeed, I meant that we SHOULD HAVE set forces into Afghanistan from the getgo.

Sure, in time, we will get our way, but too little too late, sadly.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: July 18, 2008, 08:42:15 PM »

But, that is not what I said, Sirs. Indeed, I meant that we SHOULD HAVE set forces into Afghanistan from the getgo.

Yes, we all know what you said.  Bt simply implied you may still get your wish with troops eventually only being in Afghanistan.  Or do you not want them there either, now?

Well, that's 1 viewpoint.  I personally am glad to see how effective the surge has been...so much so that Obama has had to do a complete 180 in his rhetoric, and had to scrap his original position regarding the surge, from his website.  Gotta love that conviction
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: July 18, 2008, 10:30:06 PM »

I don't know why you can't see it

Because I look at the situation with critical assessment of the facts.

the FBI and CIA had success after success going after individuals who were brought to trial , but the concept of law enforcement is a flawed way to conduct a war.

That presumes that we need to conduct a war and that conducting a war is the most effective method of dealing with terrorists. Neither has been demonstrated to be true.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Cynthia

« Reply #178 on: July 18, 2008, 10:32:16 PM »

Yes, we all know what you said.  Bt simply implied you may still get your wish with troops eventually only being in Afghanistan.  Or do you not want them there either, now?

Well, that's 1 viewpoint.  I personally am glad to see how effective the surge has been...so much so that Obama has had to do a complete 180 in his rhetoric, and had to scrap his original position regarding the surge, from his website.  Gotta love that conviction
"Yes, we all know what you said." I think common sense, Xo, produces the context that in time, our troops may only be in Afghanistan"

First of all, Sirs, who are the "we"zzy Froggies in your pocket?

You're a bit patronizin', with all due respect.... . ( :(So much for cleaning your slate.)

I personally am glad to see how effective the surge has been...so much so that Obama has had to do a complete 180 in his rhetoric, and had to scrap his original position regarding the surge, from his website.  Gotta love that conviction."

The war should have been focused in the Afghani arena. .....AND--- AND, hey perhaps Obama would have been caught by now.

DO Ya THink??

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #179 on: July 18, 2008, 11:01:17 PM »
The war should have been focused in the Afghani arena. .....AND--- AND, hey perhaps Obama would have been caught by now.

You meant Osama, I presume. And to capture Osama means going into Pakistan, which i also assume you are advocating.

Then again maybe not. Hard to tell sometimes.