Author Topic: bad habits  (Read 2513 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
bad habits
« on: March 26, 2007, 03:19:41 PM »
The 5 most expensive addictions

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Forbes/The5MostExpensiveAddictions.aspx

Alcohol. Estimated annual cost: $166 billion. Binge drinking hits the unemployed harder on a per capita basis -- 10.4%, vs. 8.4% of employed people. It is most prevalent in small metropolitan locales, rather than big cities or rural areas. The $18 billion spent on alcohol and drug treatment last year represented 1.3% of all health care spending.

Smoking. Estimated annual cost: $157 billion. The tab includes $75 billion in direct medical expenses, with the rest in lost productivity from ill patients missing work. Given the low-tax (or no-tax) underground cigarette economy on the Web and on Indian reservations, it's unlikely that sales and usage have dropped much over the past decade, official government statistics notwithstanding.

Drugs. Estimated annual cost: $110 billion. Like alcohol, illicit drug use is more prevalent among the unemployed. Most addicts are also heavy drinkers, though only a small minority of alcoholics are drug abusers. Crystal meth has followed marijuana, cocaine and heroin as the drug of choice among the young set.

Overeating. Estimated annual cost: $107 billion. Overeating increases the risk of many health problems, including heart attacks. Obesity causes 14% of attacks suffered by males and 20% of those suffered by females, the National Institutes for Health says, and fewer than a third of adults get regular exercise. The bulk of the $107 billion is the direct cost to treat heart disease, osteoarthritis, hypertension, gall bladder disease and cancer.

Gambling. Estimated annual cost: $40 billion. Addicted gamblers often feel compelled to chase after bad bets with more money in the hope of winning back their losses. And some who catch the fever develop the need to periodically raise the betting stakes to keep the same thrill. Also, addicts often face job loss, bankruptcy and forced home sales, and they are at greater risk to commit crimes like forgery and embezzlement.

The_Professor

Re: bad habits
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 05:23:02 PM »
lol..and your point being? I might surmise that most of all are addicted to SOMETHING, being flawed beings.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 02:13:14 PM by The_Professor »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 05:27:58 PM »
lol..and your point being?

There doesn't need to be a point if I find something interesting.

But now that I think of it , does the weight of bad habits represent a reserve of harvestable resorce that reduction of bad habit could make availible ?

Is there a minimum of bad habbits we must allow to keep the people from feeling repressed?

The_Professor

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 05:33:17 PM »
Yes, but inlikley on a practical scale, and Yes, just good ole God-beathed human nature.

K liked the B present, BTW.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 05:49:46 PM »
Good I wish it could be more and that we could meet , but I am still worried about being infectious.

The_Professor

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 06:35:28 PM »
Ouch! It has been a while too. What did you have again?

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 06:48:52 PM »

Is there a minimum of bad habbits we must allow to keep the people from feeling repressed?

That question seems to assume there is something the people would feel is repressing them. What might that be?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 07:15:30 PM »

That question seems to assume there is something the people would feel is repressing them. What might that be?

Some of the bad habits mentioned are limited by law , others are subject to the opprobrium of society (nagging by busybodys) all of these are contrary to the advisement of the wise.

If the law were strict enough to significantly reduce all of these bad habbits we would certainly feel very repressed , is the law strict enough now to cause many to feel repressed?

The opbrobium of society is a noisome weight to carry also, even though the offical penalty may be absent, a person might feel repressed if he were amoung people who were very intolerant of his habits.

The truely wise of course keep their counsel untill it is asked for, they arn't really wise unless they know the virtues of silence. Nobody feels highly repressed by that.

There is a lot of power in a society both official and unofficial to force or persuede individuals to conform to the needs of the society , but is there a minimum of foolishness that must be untouched for the sake of liberty ? Is there a maximum that can be tolerated ?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 07:05:46 AM »

is the law strict enough now to cause many to feel repressed?

Ask the guy who is in jail for having an ounce of marijuana in his possession. Ask the doctor who is in jail because he was compassionate enough to prescribe "too much" pain reliever to his suffering patients. As the man who is in jail because, in defending himself and his child from what he thought were violent burglars, he shot not a burglar breaking into his house but a cop—who had broken into the man's house during a nighttime drug raid (that turned up barely more than gram of marijuana). I feel safe in saying they probably feel rather repressed.

There is a lot of power in a society both official and unofficial to force or persuede individuals to conform to the needs of the society , but is there a minimum of foolishness that must be untouched for the sake of liberty ? Is there a maximum that can be tolerated ?

Before any of that can be properly addressed, you need to define what you mean by "the needs of society" and "foolishness". In broad terms however, the answer to your questions is that inherently part of liberty is the freedom to make bad choices. Once you have decided that you have to protect people from themselves for the "needs of society", you have left liberty behind and moved towards authoritarianism.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 07:13:34 AM by Universe Prince »
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 07:19:33 AM »
Ask the guy who is in jail for having an ounce of marijuana in his possession.

Is the guy in jail for the ounce of MJ or for breaking the law concerning possession of controlled substances.

Does it matter whether he agrees with the law or you agree with the law or even the police agree with the law?

I don't think so. What matters is the law was passed  by elected representatives to whatever body passed it and they can repeal it if they so wish.

The way i look at it an individual has the right to choose whether they have mj in their possession and they have the ability to do a little risk assessment while carrying. Seems it is not the possession that matters as much as getting caught while in possess that makes the difference.

Just a subtanget to the thread for your peruisal.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 08:20:42 AM »

Does it matter whether he agrees with the law or you agree with the law or even the police agree with the law?

In the context of this discussion regarding the question "is the law strict enough now to cause many to feel repressed?" I would say the answer to your question, BT, is yes.

The way i look at it an individual has the right to choose whether they have mj in their possession and they have the ability to do a little risk assessment while carrying. Seems it is not the possession that matters as much as getting caught while in possess that makes the difference.

Oh I dunno, the folks on the receiving end of SWAT team drug raids on their houses might disagree. If the only time law enforcement representatives caught people with marijuana or other drugs was while looking for something else or stopping a driver for speeding or something like that, you might have a point. But Dr. William Hurwitz was not prosecuted for being accidentally caught with an ounce of brownie seasoning. He was prosecuted for drug trafficking, not because he was a coke dealer, but because he was trying to help his patients alleviate extreme pain. Cory Maye is in jail because he shot a cop he did not know was a cop. Maye shot the cop because Maye thought he was defending himself and his child from people who were unlawfully breaking into his house. So we're not talking about people who just happen to be caught with a little weed and spend a couple of days in jail. Hurwitz, for example, faces the possibility of life in prison. Argue if you will that drugs should be illegal, but people like Hurwitz and Maye are the "collateral damage" in what we call the "war on drugs". Their lives are, for now, ruined not because oops they got caught, but because the execution of the "war on drugs" has become repressive and unjust.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 09:53:42 AM »
Having read the article, the figures are somewhat debatable.

Besides, I bet the most common addiction is to caffeine ;)

I'm not sure that "most drug addicts are heavy drinkers" and quite a few drug addictions are to perfectly legal drugs.

Interesting article Plane.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 12:56:20 PM »
Having read the article, the figures are somewhat debatable.

Besides, I bet the most common addiction is to caffeine ;)

I'm not sure that "most drug addicts are heavy drinkers" and quite a few drug addictions are to perfectly legal drugs.

Interesting article Plane.

I agree that the estimates are hazy and could be improved.

What this brings to mind is the idea that this waste shoulds be discouraged somehow.

How much does a society have a right to enforce disipline on its members?
How much effeciency does society have to have?

Haveing no right to be foolish would be tantamount to having no choices at all wouldn't it?