Author Topic: Failure is success  (Read 10636 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Failure is success
« on: June 26, 2010, 02:34:52 PM »
In case there was any doubt about the Dems ?job agenda,? the AP clears it up
June 25th, 2010, posted by Mark Landsbaum

The Associated Press reported today that the Democrats suffered a set-back on their ?jobs agenda.?

Here?s what the story was about: In the Senate, Democrats didn?t get enough votes to invoke cloture on the American Workers, State and Business Relief Act of 2010. So, a bunch of jobs won?t be created? Subsidized? Added to?

Not exactly.

Says AP: ?The demise of Democrats? job-agenda legislation means that unemployment benefits will phase out for more than 200,000 people a week.?

Yep. As the Wall Street Journal?s James Taranto put it: ?Paying people not to work is a ?jobs agenda? in the same sense as, per Orwell, ignorance is strength or war is peace.?

And if that?s not Orwellian enough for you, Taranto adds ?The failed bill also would have pumped federal money into state governments??

Which Taranto notes would have been ?a subsidy for their irresponsible spending.?

About as Orwellian as you can get. Failure is success.

What do you Think?

A little AP Jobs Agenda clarity
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Failure is success
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 05:12:11 PM »
I think that unemployment insurance extensions is a cheaper policy than building prisons to house the felons that end up robbing and killing out of desperation to feed their families.

As a precaution, i recommend that those who have weapons make sure they have sufficient ammo to protect their families, because the cops probably won't be able to be everywhere all the time.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 05:39:48 PM »
OR.....folks may take the initiative to go find a job, vs just sitting around and waiting for more of our tax payer dollars to be extended beyond that which is already in place
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 05:52:47 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 05:52:28 PM »
OR.....folks may take the initiative to go find a job, vs just sitting around and waitinf for more of our tax payer dollars to be extended beyond that which is already in place

What makes you think the majority aren't looking? Lumping those down on their luck all together is no better than what mikey does when he slurs all the members of the armed services as knuckle dragging low fruit torturers because a few crossed the line at Abu Ghraib.

They call unemployment insurance a safety net. I don't think it only provides that net to the jobless. I think it protects those who still have something worth stealing.

Just a theory.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 06:03:55 PM »
OR.....folks may take the initiative to go find a job, vs just sitting around and waitinf for more of our tax payer dollars to be extended beyond that which is already in place

What makes you think the majority aren't looking? Lumping those down on their luck all together is no better than what mikey does when he slurs all the members of the armed services as knuckle dragging low fruit torturers because a few crossed the line at Abu Ghraib.

They call unemployment insurance a safety net. I don't think it only provides that net to the jobless. I think it protects those who still have something worth stealing.

Just a theory.

stop with naive act. a good amount of people collecting unemployment could find a job or even a couple part time jobs but the incentive isn't there. Remove the free paycheck and they will go out and find work.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 06:20:32 PM »

What makes you think the majority aren't looking? Lumping those down on their luck all together is no better than what mikey does when he slurs all the members of the armed services as knuckle dragging low fruit torturers because a few crossed the line at Abu Ghraib.  They call unemployment insurance a safety net. I don't think it only provides that net to the jobless. I think it protects those who still have something worth stealing.

Just a theory.

My theory is that we already have a safety net, for the majority who are looking.  Extending it more, and more and more, simply enables those who DON'T seek gainful employment to continue to live off of yours and mine's dimes

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 06:54:10 PM »
stop with naive act. a good amount of people collecting unemployment could find a job or even a couple part time jobs but the incentive isn't there.

What's the unemployment level among teens and those with little to no experience? 40%? aren't those the type of jobs available?

How many openings at your company? How about your competitors?

Sometimes rhetoric needs to meet reality. You think the high number of foreclosures is because people bought more house than they could afford during the bubble, or do you think that it is possible than one maybe two wage-earners in the family got laid off or hours cut back?

Stray Pup

• Son of Pooch.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 07:08:31 PM »
I have no problem with unemployment benefits. Everybody has hard times once in a while and their families shouldn't have to suffer for it.

I also think welfare was a good idea that was abused horribly.  We need stricter regulations on who can have these benefits and definite time barriers of I'd say no more than 6 months to a year. 

I also think government health insurance should only be elligible to the employed, retired or legitimately disabled (slightly off topic).
"What's that word for skiving off work and giving it to somebody less important?"
"Delegate."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 07:13:20 PM »
I also think government health insurance should only be elligible to the employed, retired or legitimately disabled (slightly off topic).

I think if the govt is going to get into the health care business it needs to be universal and paid for with a sales tax. Everybody pays, from the kid buying bubblegum, to the illegal alien buying work boots to the crack dealer buying bling. Everybody pays and everybody is covered.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 07:15:23 PM »
Looks good on paper, but politically, especially from the classwarfare left, that'll never fly

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 07:29:04 PM »
Looks good on paper, but politically, especially from the classwarfare left, that'll never fly

The left needs to be painted as the obstructionists to a universal healthcare plan that treats people equally regardless of race, creed, ethnicity and class.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 07:48:51 PM »
No paint necessary.  Actions are all that's needed

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 01:00:50 AM »
stop with naive act. a good amount of people collecting unemployment could find a job or even a couple part time jobs but the incentive isn't there.

What's the unemployment level among teens and those with little to no experience? 40%? aren't those the type of jobs available?

How many openings at your company? How about your competitors?

Sometimes rhetoric needs to meet reality. You think the high number of foreclosures is because people bought more house than they could afford during the bubble, or do you think that it is possible than one maybe two wage-earners in the family got laid off or hours cut back?

So the other day I was talking with a manager of a Fastenal Store and he says he had a sales position open up so he got 25 applicants and only 5 could pass the assessment test. He said he had a lot of people with higher education levels and a lot of over age 50 applicants. I asked did a lot of the highly educated people fail the assessment test, he said YES.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 01:30:46 AM »
So we know for sure 25 people aren't sitting on their butts collecting the dole. They are out their applying for jobs, even if they don't qualify for them.

Stray Pup

• Son of Pooch.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 02:39:00 AM »
No paint necessary.  Actions are all that's needed

Amen to that.
"What's that word for skiving off work and giving it to somebody less important?"
"Delegate."