Author Topic: Webb-Bush  (Read 2880 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Webb-Bush
« on: November 29, 2006, 08:22:07 PM »
Background on Webb-Bush

A lot of people think Jim Webb may have overreacted to the President Bush when he asked about his son Jimmy at a recent White House function.

I've gotten a tip on the background to this confrontation, and it appears that Webb may have under reacted.

As President Bush is well aware, a couple of weeks before this dinner the tank riding next to Jimmy's in Iraq was under fire and three marines died.

My sources are telling me that the way President Bush approached Webb with his tone, it appeared he was asking the question of how Jimmy was doing in a mocking manner, while he was certainly aware of the tragedy that had hit his unit a few weeks earlier.

Webb has every right to be livid as the Commander in Chief should not be talking about service members in Iraq in a condescending manner like that. I hope everyone can understand what Webb is going through as a parent with death striking Jimmy's unit that closely, and President Bush should have been a lot more sympathetic to Jim's feelings as a parent.

And Jim, thanks for showing the restraint not to knock Bush out when he did that.

http://notlarrysabato.typepad.com/doh/2006/11/nls_exclusive.html
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Webb-Bush
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 08:43:46 PM »
   What indicates that President Bush should not have asked this ?

I might ask about someone , perhaps because I cared .

Mucho

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 09:35:48 PM »
   What indicates that President Bush should not have asked this ?

I might ask about someone , perhaps because I cared .

You might but the Bushidiot can only flaunt & taunt like the evil prick he is.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 09:56:28 PM »
And we know Bush was asking in a mocking tone because some anonymous source says so?

We have any other evidence of Bush mocking soldiers?

Maybe a low hanging fruit remark perhaps.

or born psychopaths and rapists remark?

or perhaps something like Kerry said, while blowing his punchline?

Mucho

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 10:07:10 PM »
And we know Bush was asking in a mocking tone because some anonymous source says so?

We have any other evidence of Bush mocking soldiers?

Maybe a low hanging fruit remark perhaps.

or born psychopaths and rapists remark?

or perhaps something like Kerry said, while blowing his punchline?

All of the above is better than killing  them needlessly as Bush is doing.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 10:39:42 PM »
You seem to have misunderstood the question.

Do we have other verifiable evidence of Bush mocking soldiers, is their a pattern of this behavior?

I'm unaware of it. So why should we believe an anonymous source?

Mucho

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 11:15:36 PM »
You seem to have misunderstood the question.

Do we have other verifiable evidence of Bush mocking soldiers, is their a pattern of this behavior?

I'm unaware of it. So why should we believe an anonymous source?

I would believe an anonymous source long before i would believe a confirmed and pathological liar like the Bush like the Bushidiot. He doesnt even bother to deny his taunts this time. THAT is how unimportant the troops and their families are to him.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 10:02:32 PM »
Webb Offends Bush & the English Language
By George Will

WASHINGTON -- That was certainly swift. Washington has a way of quickly acculturating people, especially those who are most susceptible to derangement by the derivative dignity of office. But Jim Webb, Democratic senator-elect from Virginia, has become a pompous poseur and an abuser of the English language before actually becoming a senator.

Wednesday's Washington Post reported that at a White House reception for newly elected members of Congress, Webb "tried to avoid President Bush,'' refusing to pass through the reception line or have his picture taken with the president. When Bush asked Webb, whose son is a Marine in Iraq, "How's your boy?'' Webb replied, "I'd like to get them (sic) out of Iraq.'' When the president again asked, "How's your boy?'' Webb replied, "That's between me and my boy.'' Webb told the Post:

"I'm not particularly interested in having a picture of me and George W. Bush on my wall. No offense to the institution of the presidency, and I'm certainly looking forward to working with him and his administration. (But) leaders do some symbolic things to try to convey who they are and what the message is.''

Webb certainly has conveyed what he is: a boor. Never mind the patent disrespect for the presidency. Webb's more gross offense was calculated rudeness toward another human being -- one who, disregarding many hard things Webb had said about him during the campaign, asked a civil and caring question, as one parent to another. When -- if ever -- Webb grows weary of admiring his new grandeur as a "leader'' who carefully calibrates the "symbolic things'' he does to convey messages, he might consider this: In a republic, people decline to be led by leaders who are insufferably full of themselves.

Even before Webb's studied truculence in response to the president's hospitality, Webb was going out of his way to make waves. A week after the election, he published a column in The Wall Street Journal that began this way:

"The most important -- and unfortunately the least debated -- issue in politics today is our society's steady drift toward a class-based system, the likes of which we have not seen since the 19th century. America's top tier has grown infinitely richer and more removed over the past 25 years. It is not unfair to say that they are literally living in a different country.''

Well.

In his novels and his political commentary, Webb has been a writer of genuine distinction, using language with care and precision. But just days after winning an election, he was turning out slapdash prose that would be rejected by a reasonably demanding high school teacher.

Never mind Webb's careless and absurd assertion that the nation's incessantly discussed wealth gap is "the least debated'' issue in American politics.

And never mind his use of the word "literally,'' although even with private schools and a large share of the nation's wealth, the "top tier'' -- whatever cohort he intends to denote by that phrase; he is suddenly too inflamed by social injustice to tarry over the task of defining his terms -- does not "literally'' live in another country.

And never mind the cavalier historical judgments -- although is he sure that America is less egalitarian today than it was, say, 50 years ago, when only about 7 percent of American adults had college degrees? (Twenty-eight percent do today.) Or 80 years ago, when more than 80 percent of American adults did not have high school diplomas (85 percent have them today), and only about 46 percent owned their own homes, compared with 69 percent today?

But notice, in the second sentence of Webb's column, the word "infinitely.'' Earth to Webb: Words have meanings that not even senators can alter. And he has been elected to be a senator, not Humpty Dumpty in "Through the Looking Glass.'' (When I use a word it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less.) America's national economic statistics are excellent; Webb could actually tell us how
much richer the "top tier'' has become, relative to other cohorts, over a particular span. But that would require him to actually say who he is talking about, and that takes time and effort, and senators -- Webb is a natural -- often are too busy for accuracy.

Based on Webb's behavior before being sworn in, one shudders to think what he will be like after that. He already has become what Washington did not need another of, a subtraction from the city's civility and clear speaking.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2006/11/jim_webb_offends_bush_and_the.html
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 10:10:00 PM »
".........one shudders to think what he will be like after that. He already has become what Washington did not need another of, a subtraction from the city's civility and clear speaking."

Oh, yes, how one shudders!  The city's civility ("go fuck yourself": Vice Pres. Cheney to Sen. Pat Leahy) and clear speaking (I can't even find a sample of that, so forget it) will really suffer.

Not to mention all the limbless faceless brain-injured soldiers and their families and the dead soldiers, and the dead Iraqis. 
Fuck civility.  But always carry a clean handkerchief scented with lavender, ok?   Got people through the plague, should get us through the Bush Years. 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 10:11:25 PM »
I would believe an anonymous source long before i would believe a confirmed and pathological liar like the Bush like the Bushidiot. He doesnt even bother to deny his taunts this time. THAT is how unimportant the troops and their families are to him.

So basically you and Mikey don't have squat.
Seems a pattern is forming.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 10:15:16 PM »
Oh, yes, how one shudders!  The city's civility ("go fuck yourself": Vice Pres. Cheney to Sen. Pat Leahy) and clear speaking (I can't even find a sample of that, so forget it) will really suffer.  Not to mention all the limbless faceless brain-injured soldiers and their families and the dead soldiers, and the dead Iraqis.  Fuck civility.  But always carry a clean handkerchief scented with lavender, ok?   Got people through the plague, should get us through the Bush Years. 

Feel better?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 11:11:05 PM »
Feel better?

I think she is allowing the hate to wash over her. I understand in some circles that is invigorating, though non productive.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 11:21:19 PM »
I think she is allowing the hate to wash over her. I understand in some circles that is invigorating, though non productive.

But supposedly, she's on record as "not hating Bush" nor "not hating conservative Republicans".  Or so I've been told      ???