Author Topic: After 'botched joke,' Kerry and team assessing impact on '08  (Read 2138 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
After 'botched joke,' Kerry and team assessing impact on '08
« on: December 01, 2006, 11:42:35 AM »
Friday, December 01, 2006

BOSTON (AP) -- In the space of barely a minute, John Kerry's political life took an abrupt turn. There's before The Joke, when the Massachusetts senator appeared to be well on his way toward making a political comeback, laying the groundwork for a White House bid despite losing the 2004 presidential election.

Then there's after The Joke, when even fellow Democrats and former supporters question whether Kerry is still politically viable.

Kerry's quip just before the Nov. 7 midterm elections that those who don't study hard "get stuck in Iraq" not only forced him into isolation in the campaign's final days, it rekindled criticism about his failure to beat a war-plagued president two years ago. It also highlighted a shallowness to what he and his aides still considered to be widespread public support.

"The joke stopped that momentum in its track," said Jerry Crawford, a Des Moines attorney who was chairman of Kerry's Iowa campaign in 2004. "I don't think it was fair the way it was used against him, but it's nevertheless the reality. And it knocks him back to the place where he was shortly after the '04 election."

Article
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: After 'botched joke,' Kerry and team assessing impact on '08
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 01:34:25 PM »
Kerry has Joementum.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 01:38:15 PM »
I think Kerry should think well and hard before taking another run at the Presidency.  The ability to tell a joke well is what makes or unmakes a President and so his beginnings do not appear promising.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 02:22:07 PM »
I think Kerry should think well and hard before taking another run at the Presidency.  The ability to tell a joke well is what makes or unmakes a President and so his beginnings do not appear promising.

I think he should just stay to the house.

True the guy got the second largest amount of votes of any presidential candidate in history but if he is honest with himself, he will come to realize that few of those votes were for him.  Most were against the other guy.

Plus, he's a lying gasbag who played a major role in the Gephardt/Dean murder suicide.  People may not say it or even realize it themselves but that kind of BS is not the way to impress voters.  But even worse than Kerry are the Clintons whose lust to return to the White House is legendary and dangerous.

If the Clintons are defeated in the primaries for '08, it will be a blow struck FOR Democracy and The People.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 07:25:14 PM »
Too bad Kucinich is anti-choice.  Maybe Dean's the man after all.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 09:01:51 PM »
Too bad Kucinich is anti-choice.  Maybe Dean's the man after all.

What makes you think that Kucinich is pro-life?

From the issues section of his web site:

A woman's right-to-choose must be protected as essential to personal privacy and gender equality. Only those who agree to uphold Roe v. Wade should be nominated for the Supreme Court.
Kucinich on the Issues
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 11:27:50 PM »
WOW!  So Kucinich came around after all.

Yoosta be anti-choice:
http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-carney110102.asp

And that's how I remember him.

Don't know if I like the new Dennis.  Opportunistic and fickle, maybe.  This isn't good.  If he was pro-choice since high school days, well and good.  But this late-term conversion?

Shit.  This is not. good.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 12:20:37 AM »
<<Can you show where he ever supported a ban on abortions?>>

No, I can't.  Actually, all I can remember is that he was one of about five possible Democratic candidates for the nomination of his party and the consensus was that he would be unacceptable to the party because of his anti-choice stand.  What particular form that stand took, I don't recall.  I do remember being very surprised that a man who was so liberal on so many other issues would be so fascistic on women's right to choose.