Author Topic: Republicans want review of birthright citizenship  (Read 35825 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Republicans want review of birthright citizenship
« Reply #90 on: August 07, 2010, 06:09:37 AM »

So you want the restrictions against border crossing without official permissions to be strictly enforced?

What I want is for restrictions to be reduced to a just and reasonable level so that enforcing them is just, reasonable and manageable. None of which is currently the case.

Without a good fence submitting application becomes ,practicly, optional.

If you make immigration simple and relatively easy with a relatively short waiting time, most of the folks will enter legally rather than break the law and/or risk death by crossing the desert and climbing or cutting fences. So I suggest that without good immigration law, you get what we have now, a fence and border enforcement that are practically useless.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #91 on: August 07, 2010, 02:21:55 PM »
Racism is often the end result of irrational prejudice and/ or fear.

Perhaps in the context of immigration specifically from the southern borders you could explain how these irrational prejudices and or fears would produce a different result. What specific irrational prejudices and fears are you referring to?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2010, 10:05:02 PM »

So you want the restrictions against border crossing without official permissions to be strictly enforced?

What I want is for restrictions to be reduced to a just and reasonable level so that enforcing them is just, reasonable and manageable. None of which is currently the case.
On these points I have total agreement with you . I am .... dissapointed.

Without a good fence submitting application becomes ,practicly, optional.

If you make immigration simple and relatively easy with a relatively short waiting time, most of the folks will enter legally rather than break the law and/or risk death by crossing the desert and climbing or cutting fences. So I suggest that without good immigration law, you get what we have now, a fence and border enforcement that are practically useless.
Ahhhh disagreement at last.
I see your understanding to be understanding only half of the situation , the reciprocal of your position is also true.
If we restrict any sort of person or comodity even if  only mildly , the restricted element will migrate through any chink in the fence.

Allowing more of the innocent and harmless to cross unimpeded would cause little harm in my opinion.If we only restrict violent criminals and infernal devices of the worst sort , then only the worst sort will cross the remote desert by night.  So I certaily see room for improvement , but this improvement will have to include stronger barriers. 

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2010, 07:32:01 PM »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2010, 08:36:20 PM »
LOL....good one SIRS....if it wasn't soooooooooo sad!
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2010, 08:44:40 PM »
Indeed.  Also sad, is that any changing of the Constitution, especially on an issue as contentious as this, hasn't a snowball's chance in hell, to occur.  It's largely empty rhetoric, merely playing to the base, come election time            :-\
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2010, 09:46:02 PM »
This is exactly what is going on here: the Republicans have no issues, so they invent this crap about changing the Constitution. This is like the proposed bogus amendment on flag-burning and Olebush visiting flag factories. Pure propaganda & rightwing crap.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2010, 10:18:43 PM »
Not quite, but thanks for the input

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2010, 11:50:07 PM »

I see your understanding to be understanding only half of the situation , the reciprocal of your position is also true.
If we restrict any sort of person or comodity even if  only mildly , the restricted element will migrate through any chink in the fence.

How, exactly, is that the reciprocal of my position? I ask because it sounds rather like my position. Which makes me wonder if you're paying attention.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2010, 11:53:54 PM »

Racism is often the end result of irrational prejudice and/ or fear.

Perhaps in the context of immigration specifically from the southern borders you could explain how these irrational prejudices and or fears would produce a different result. What specific irrational prejudices and fears are you referring to?

Perhaps I could, but I'm not sure why I should. I am not eager to start "no, that is not what I said" cycle all over again.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2010, 12:03:03 AM »
Perhaps I could, but I'm not sure why I should. I am not eager to start "no, that is not what I said" cycle all over again.

hmmm

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2010, 03:52:00 AM »
Your reply doesn't really fill me with confidence, BT. Oh well. This place seems little good beyond frustration these days anyway. Let me know when you get that whole sense of community thing going.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2010, 02:32:10 PM »
Your reply doesn't really fill me with confidence, BT. Oh well. This place seems little good beyond frustration these days anyway. Let me know when you get that whole sense of community thing going.

Actually I'm leaning towards:

1. Pulling the plug on it or
2. Transferring responsibility of the site(s) to someone else. or
3. Repurposing, redesigning and rethinking the flow,format and focus of the site.

Be sure to check in occasionally to see which way it goes.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2010, 02:36:20 PM »
 :-\

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2010, 03:35:17 AM »

How, exactly, is that the reciprocal of my position? I ask because it sounds rather like my position. Which makes me wonder if you're paying attention.

How frustrating that you adn I have written so much and made clear so little.

What would you really want to change?