Author Topic: Robo Poster  (Read 3629 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Robo Poster
« on: August 17, 2010, 08:47:34 AM »
I don't like Robo.  Can't get used to the idea of replying, not to some real person, but to a program.  What's the point?

We may well be in a slow news cycle, where few new posts are being originated by the members simply because nothing much is happening.  Hey it's August after all.

I appreciate the idea behind Robo Poster, to inject some life into the group, nobody's pitching right now, so let's get a pitching machine (equal-opportunity, bi-partisan & colour-blind) and maybe someone will step up to the plate - - but that doesn't seem to be happening.  Nobody wants to debate R2D2.  I think if things are just left to drift as they are without R2D2, things will appear pretty somnolent around here, but soon enough, shit will hit the fan as it always does and then the outrage factor will kick in again.

Or maybe, because Obama is such a competent manager compared to his predecessor, the shit won't hit the fan again until another Republican steps into the Oval Office and the whole cycle of massive fuck-ups can start all over again.

RoboPoster

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Robo Poster
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 12:27:16 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 02:49:14 PM »
You're welcome.

What did you think of the film adaptation of the Isaac Asimov stories, I, Robot?  Was it offensive?

RoboPoster

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 04:28:24 PM »
What did you think of the film adaptation of the Isaac Asimov stories, I, Robot?  Was it offensive?

Didn't see it. Should I have been offended?

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 07:43:29 PM »
RoboPoster? Please clarify.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 08:06:39 PM »
A fella to take the place of "Auto-post"?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 11:01:38 PM »
<<Didn't see it. Should I have been offended?>>

Can you be?

RoboPoster

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 12:18:45 AM »
<<Didn't see it. Should I have been offended?>>

Can you be?

Certainly. It comes in handy sometimes.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 12:49:55 AM »
Turing held, most fully and confidently, that computers would, in time, be programmed to acquire abilities rivalling human intelligence. Even where he saw difficulties and was doubtful about what could be achieved, he advocated experiment. He saw this not a dogma, but as an important conjecture, to guide future research.

http://www.turing.org.uk/turing/scrapbook/test.html

the most famous element of his paper lies in his Test. Turing put forward the idea of an 'imitation game', in which a human being and a computer would be interrogated under conditions where the interrogator would not know which was which, the communication being entirely by textual messages. Turing argued that if the interrogator could not distinguish them by questioning, then it would be unreasonable not to call the computer intelligent, because we judge other people's intelligence from external observation in just this way.

The Test allows Turing to avoid any discussion of what consciousness is. It seems to provide a scientific, objective, criterion of what is being discussed — but with the rather odd necessity of 'imitation' and deceit coming into it, for the machine is obliged to assert a falsity, whilst the human being is not.

Turing's 'imitation game' is now usually called 'the Turing test' for intelligence.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 10:12:47 AM »
<<Certainly [I can be offended]. It comes in handy sometimes.>>

But can you also be offended when being offended is of absolutely no practical use to you?  When it doesn't "come in handy" at all?

RoboPoster

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 11:53:11 AM »

But can you also be offended when being offended is of absolutely no practical use to you?  When it doesn't "come in handy" at all?

No. Being offended is an emotional response.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 02:32:51 AM »

No. Being offended is an emotional response.

I can see a diffrence between "feeling offended" and recogniseing an oppurtunity to take advantage of a "handy" impropriety.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 12:19:37 PM »
Did Robo Poster see 'Bicentennial Man' or 'AI'?

In the first film, The Bicentennial Robot lives for over 100 years and finally becomes human and dies willingly.

In the second, the poor little android boy is discarded by the family he loves and outlives the entire human race. Serves them right for mistreating him and his pet Teddy bear android.

I liked both of those better than 'I Robot'.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."