Author Topic: Be weary of Sugar Free substitutes  (Read 10515 times)

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Be weary of Sugar Free substitutes
« on: October 11, 2010, 01:25:27 PM »
My nutritionist, years ago, told me that she did not trust sugar substitutes. I listened to her and actively avoid all of them.

I found this information to be very interesting. If you are drinking sugar free products you might want to heed this information.

http://www.infowars.com/warning-to-glenn-beck-dont-drink-diet-coke/

Warning to Glenn Beck: Don’t Drink Diet Coke

Posted By kurtnimmo On October 9, 2010 @ 7:24 pm In Featured Stories | 251 Comments

Kurt Nimmo
Infowars.com
October 9, 2010

On Friday, Glenn Beck announced on his radio show that he will be taking a brief leave of absence for medical reasons. “There is something wrong with my voice, and we’re not sure what it is,” Beck said, according to a transcript on his website. “They’re going to be doing CAT scans and MREs or MRIs and PET scans and they’re going to be doing blood work like crazy.”

As a Mormon, Beck is forbidden to drink coffee, but he drinks a large amount of Diet Coke.

In July, the Fox News host admitted that he is suffering from macular dystrophy, an eye disorder that causes vision loss. “Yes, I have a problem with my eyes,” Beck told an audience of 6,000 in Salt Lake City. “A couple of weeks ago, I went to the doctor because I can’t focus my eyes … So I went to the best doctor I could find… he did all kinds of tests, and he said I have macular dystrophy.”

Glenn Beck may not know it, but it is almost certain he is another victim of Rumsfeld Plague. On September 29, the New York Times published a long article about Beck. “His Mormonism forbids coffee, but he consumes a lot of Diet Coke and chocolate,” writes Mark Leibovich.

Coca-Cola began putting the “sugar substitute” aspartame in Diet Coke in 1982. According to the Department of Health and Human Services, aspartame accounts for over 75 percent of the adverse reactions to food additives reported to the FDA. Many of these reactions are very serious including seizures and death.

In 1999, the Independent on Sunday discovered that the maker of aspartame, Monsanto, uses genetically engineered bacteria to produce the “sweetener” at its U.S. production plants. Aspartame is made by combining phenylalanine, which is naturally produced by bacteria, with another amino acid. To make the bacteria produce more phenylalanine, Monsanto has genetically engineered them. “Increasingly, chemical companies are using genetically engineered bacteria in their manufacturing process without telling the public,” said Dr. Erik Millstone, of the Science Policy Research Unit at Sussex University, and a member of the National Food Alliance, told the newspaper.

Here’s what Glenn Beck needs to know — aspartame is linked to blindness. It is made up of 50% phenylalanine, 40% aspartic acid and 10% methyl alcohol. Methyl alcohol inevitably affects vision. Back when the government imposed prohibition on the country, thousands of people went blind due to the use of wood alcohol/methanol in spirits.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Be weary of Sugar Free substitutes
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 01:24:37 AM »
Be WEARY of substitutes?

Don't you mean "be leery"?

Weary means tired. Leery means suspicious.

Steevia is an acceptable alternative to sugar.

I imagine that if aspartame really did make many people blind, we would have heard of this by now. The fact that methyl alcohol is used to produce it does not mean that it is in a form that makes people blind after it has been produced. It may not be as good for you as sugar or other sweeteners, but if it is, it is not due to methanol.

If there is a chemical reaction involved,then the methyl alcohol will no longer be methyl alcohol.

Alcohol for rum and vodka is often derived from burning natural gas in a controlled atmosphere, which is cheaper than distilling. Distilleries buy this pure refined alcohol and put it in barrels and such to complete the process. Still, natural gas is not at all healthy for people before the process.

Mormons are supposed to avoid coffee because it contains caffeine, a stimulant. It is the caffeine that Mormons are supposed to avoid, not coffee.

Mormons are supposed to avoid all caffeinated food or drink. Beck is a dolt.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 07:27:02 AM by Xavier_Onassis »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 02:24:12 AM »
XO opined:
Mormons are supposed to avoid coffee because it contains caffeine, a stimulant. It is the caffeine that Mormons are supposed to avoid, not coffee.

Mormons are supposed to avoid all caffeinated food or drink. Beck is a dolt

Actually XO is the dolt, and once again he gets it wrong.

------------------

It's actually a myth that Mormons are required to avoid caffeine.  What is proscribed are ?hot drinks?, this term having been clarified to mean specifically coffee and tea, and to include cold and decaffeinated versions thereof; but not including herbal teas.

The source for this is what we call ?The Word of Wisdom?, which is found in the 89th section of the Doctrine and Covenants.  See http://scriptures.lds.org/dc/89
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/128

-----------------

It is these types of stupid comments by XO that Mickey is probably embarassed about. Just how many times can you roll your eyes at this guy?

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 11:12:33 AM »
XO opined:

------------------

It's actually a myth that Mormons are required to avoid caffeine.  What is proscribed are ?hot drinks?, this term having been clarified to mean specifically coffee and tea, and to include cold and decaffeinated versions thereof; but not including herbal teas.

The source for this is what we call ?The Word of Wisdom?, which is found in the 89th section of the Doctrine and Covenants.  See http://scriptures.lds.org/dc/89

-----------------

It is these types of stupid comments by XO that Mickey is probably embarassed about. Just how many times can you roll your eyes at this guy?

it's one thing to be a moron and know it and another thing to be a moron and be oblivious to it. XO is such a moron that he's too moronic to even know it.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 02:37:52 PM »
Mormons I know avoid Coca-Cola, because it has caffeine, and they are forbidden to take cafffeine or other potentially addictive stimulants.

Of course, they could never be the experts of Non-Mormon RR or Kramer the Moron.

Continue being weary of sugar substitutes, Kramer. That is good advice.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 03:58:48 PM »
Mormons I know avoid Coca-Cola, because it has caffeine, and they are forbidden to take cafffeine or other potentially addictive stimulants.

Of course, they could never be the experts of Non-Mormon RR or Kramer the Moron.

Here's some advice XO, please, by all means, please consume lot's of sugar substitutes. By the case, the pound, the gallon, the yard, bushel and the ton. Cram them down your fat mouth and enjoy them with gusto. I urge you to eat them, bath in them, gargle them and inhale them in large doses.

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 12:44:00 AM »

Mormons are supposed to avoid all caffeinated food or drink.

That is incorrect.  Caffeine is not prohibited by the church.  That is a common misconception held by many both in and out of the church.  The scriptural reference is Doctrine and Covenants Section 89.  Latter Day Saints call it the "Word of Wisdom" because when it was originally announced, it was not considered a commandment.    As the people became used to the prohibition and the older "addicted" generation adjusted the status was upgraded to full-blown commandment.  But the old title stuck.  The wording is that "hot drinks" are not for the body. That has been later clarified by church leaders as coffee and caffeinated tea ONLY.  It does not prohibit hot chocolate, chocolate foods, soups, cola or other caffeinated drinks or non-caffeinated herbal teas.  There is a general encouragement to avoid ANY harmful substances as a matter of prudent stewardship over our bodies.  But I hold a Temple Recommend and the Melchizedek priesthood and I drink a lot of caffeine (virtually all of it sweetened with Aspartame).  As one of leaders said many years ago "some people become cranks . . ." about the subject, obsessing over what you can eat or drink to the point of silliness.  We also have overzealous members who insist we can't say words like "heck" or "Jiminy Crickets!" because we are actually "thinking" the bad words they substitute.  Bull Shucks.

Whether or not Beck is a dolt is a matter of personal beliefs, and I will not presume to challenge yours.

To make that more clear, if I were a coffee drinker I would NOT be allowed to hold a Temple Recommend.  The same applies to alcohol, tobacco or illegal drugs. 

Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Stray Pooch

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 12:45:45 AM »
XO opined:

------------------

-----------------

i see my clarification was unnecessary.   Thanks, RR   
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Stray Pooch

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 12:58:29 AM »

Many Mormons, such as your friends, CHOOSE to avoid Coca-cola, but that is by way of choice, not commandment.  RR's post was correct, and he supported his statements with a link that led to the official LDS church site scripture section.  We are not FORBIDDEN to take caffeine.  We are forbidden coffee and tea.  RR may not be an expert on Mormonism, but I'm pretty well-informed on the subject and RR got it right. I have taught that lesson in Gospel Essentials and Gospel Doctrine class (not to mention teen classes and Priesthood) on many occasions.  I wrote my post before I read his, and you will note they state virtually the same thing.  Coke and other such things fall under Joseph Smith's oft-quoted philosophy that it is not meet that we should be instructed in all things.  He also said, when asked how he governed such a large body of people "I teach them correct principles and let them govern themselves."   This is a common item of discussion, especially with newer church members.  I wrote a parody called "Thank Gosh, I'm a Mormon Boy" in which I use the line "feel a little guilty if I drink a bit of coke" and it gets a big laugh each time. 

There's nothing at all wrong with your friends making healthier choices.  That is both in keeping with the spirit of the Word of Wisdom and just a generally good life choice.  But they are not "forbidden" to drink coke.  And I know a lot of Mormon women.  Try to forbid them chocolate and they will one day find you lying in a gutter smothered in green jello.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 04:49:36 AM »
fall under Joseph Smith's oft-quoted philosophy that it is not meet that we should be instructed in all things.  He also said, when asked how he governed such a large body of people "I teach them correct principles and let them govern themselves." 

Now that is interesting.

Do you remember Rosannes line about the "Natzi Amish"? Perhaps there is a steriotype opposeing reality?

Would you say that Mormans are encourageig self disipline and operateing like libertarians?

Is there a system of applying disapline ?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 12:46:56 PM »
As recently as the 1870's, people claimed that coffee contained caffeine, but tea was said to contain "tetine". Then an accurate process for determining ingredients in organic mixtures was developed, and it turns out that tea, coffee, guarana and mate all have caffeine, guarana usually having the highest percentage.

Having some forbidden food tends to unite religious groups: it worked for the Jews and seems to work for the Adventists as well. I am surprised to hear that the Mormon prohibition is against coffee and tea. I suppose that guarana and yerba mate, being unknown to Smith, and No-Doz, having been not invented, missed the prohibition. Interesting, and thanks for the clarification.

Coffee and tea were two universally accepted social beverages during those times. Both men and women offered and drank tea or coffee as a social treat to welcome guests. So refusing to allow the flock to drink these was probably also a way of preventing too much socializing between Mormons and Gentiles, I imagine.

Chocolate was not popular or available to rural Americans until after the Civil War. I think the idea of adding sugar and milk to it was a European idea, that started in Spain or perhaps Austria, which was under the same crown for a while. Mexicans tended to mix cocoa powder with hot peppers to make mole, a sort of meat sauce. Making mole is an art, and some never catch on: the flavor ranges from absolutely indescribably delicious to godawfully bitter and foul.

I have never seen anyone that drank as much coffee or tea as Uruguayans drink mate. Nearly everyone you see on a bus in Montevideo is toting a mate pot and a thermos, and small piles of mate are in every gutter, waiting for a rainstorm to wash them away. No restaurant that I ran across served mate in Uruguay, Argentina or Paraguay, but most will provide hot water, some free and others at a nominal charge.  Argentines and Paraguayans also drink mate, but in Buenos Aires you don't see nearly so much mate drinking in public. The taste is sort of bitter, hard to describe, slightly reminiscent of hops, but curiously pleasant, and you get used to it in a day or two. It does not seem to be very addictive.   

I saw some Mormon missionaries cycling about in Paraguay, but did not ask them about mate. There is a beautiful Mormon temple in Asuncion, complete with a nice American-style lawn and decorative shrubbery and a 10 foot high fence around it to keep people from lounging on it. Asunción has parks, but Paraguayans are more fond of cement and tile than grass. There is a really nice type of grass in several parks in Buenos Aires, unlike anything I have seen. It does not seem to need much mowing or edging.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 06:25:44 PM »
As recently as the 1870's, people claimed that coffee contained caffeine, but tea was said to contain "tetine". Then an accurate process for determining ingredients in organic mixtures was developed, and it turns out that tea, coffee, guarana and mate all have caffeine, guarana usually having the highest percentage.

Having some forbidden food tends to unite religious groups: it worked for the Jews and seems to work for the Adventists as well. I am surprised to hear that the Mormon prohibition is against coffee and tea. I suppose that guarana and yerba mate, being unknown to Smith, and No-Doz, having been not invented, missed the prohibition. Interesting, and thanks for the clarification.

Coffee and tea were two universally accepted social beverages during those times. Both men and women offered and drank tea or coffee as a social treat to welcome guests. So refusing to allow the flock to drink these was probably also a way of preventing too much socializing between Mormons and Gentiles, I imagine.

Chocolate was not popular or available to rural Americans until after the Civil War. I think the idea of adding sugar and milk to it was a European idea, that started in Spain or perhaps Austria, which was under the same crown for a while. Mexicans tended to mix cocoa powder with hot peppers to make mole, a sort of meat sauce. Making mole is an art, and some never catch on: the flavor ranges from absolutely indescribably delicious to godawfully bitter and foul.

I have never seen anyone that drank as much coffee or tea as Uruguayans drink mate. Nearly everyone you see on a bus in Montevideo is toting a mate pot and a thermos, and small piles of mate are in every gutter, waiting for a rainstorm to wash them away. No restaurant that I ran across served mate in Uruguay, Argentina or Paraguay, but most will provide hot water, some free and others at a nominal charge.  Argentines and Paraguayans also drink mate, but in Buenos Aires you don't see nearly so much mate drinking in public. The taste is sort of bitter, hard to describe, slightly reminiscent of hops, but curiously pleasant, and you get used to it in a day or two. It does not seem to be very addictive.   

I saw some Mormon missionaries cycling about in Paraguay, but did not ask them about mate. There is a beautiful Mormon temple in Asuncion, complete with a nice American-style lawn and decorative shrubbery and a 10 foot high fence around it to keep people from lounging on it. Asunción has parks, but Paraguayans are more fond of cement and tile than grass. There is a really nice type of grass in several parks in Buenos Aires, unlike anything I have seen. It does not seem to need much mowing or edging.

Considering just how often you are wrong why should anybody belief you this time. Your wrongness has trumped any rightness that you might occasionally stumble upon.

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 06:29:24 PM »
Jackass said:

I like how XO tries to blame some so-called "Mormons" he knows for his stupid comment. Can anybody see a bigot like XO hangin' with some Mormons? He has mocked Mormons in the past, referring to their "magical underwear" or whatever. Is that something somebody would say about their friends? Any Mormon XO knows is imaginary would be my guess. And he was full of shit as usual.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 06:35:30 PM »
Jackass said:

I like how XO tries to blame some so-called "Mormons" he knows for his stupid comment. Can anybody see a bigot like XO hangin' with some Mormons? He has mocked Mormons in the past, referring to their "magical underwear" or whatever. Is that something somebody would say about their friends? Any Mormon XO knows is imaginary would be my guess. And he was full of shit as usual.

I think you struck a chord with that one. XO has no friends.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 12:04:17 AM »
Jackass said:

I think you struck a chord with that one. XO has no friends.

I like him.