Author Topic: O'Donnell casts a spell over Delaware  (Read 1624 times)

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
O'Donnell casts a spell over Delaware
« on: October 15, 2010, 05:30:37 PM »
And makes up 10 points in the latest Rassmussen poll. It's now Tax and Spend Coons 51 and O'Donnell 40. Is it time to start dumping some money into the race? She has made up some considerable ground.

The Lovin' Spoonful - Do You Believe In Magic (1965)

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: O'Donnell casts a spell over Delaware
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 05:34:54 PM »
The R Party better kick in some $$ or I'm going to start thinking they have an agenda that doesn't mirror my agenda or the Tea Party agenda.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 08:22:52 PM »
It best be a full fledged Patronus spell.  If blue Delaware goes GOP with O'Donnell, watch the dominos fall to the right, including CA
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 04:39:18 PM »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 06:56:59 PM »
BIG problem.......I've been catching the latest debate between Coons & O'Donnell.  While I can easily disagree with 97+% of what Coons is ascribing to, he is coming off far more articulate and up to speed on policies.  Even coming across with some moderate positions that may indeed placate independents.  

Now, while he frequently redirects his answers to a question that wasn't really asked, or provides answers that have nothing to do with the actual issue at hand, such as the mosque debate, O'Donnell is not articulating even her own positions well.  Answers she should have hit out of the park, such as the question as to "Do you believe in evolution?"  She was all over the ballpark in answering it very politically, when the question was simply what did she believe personally.  Same thing with CFR.

Granted I'm only catching snippets, but from what I have seen, she's not doing herself any service, when she really needs to....which is now, considering how close to Nov elections we are.  
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 02:53:00 AM by sirs »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 01:55:32 AM »
I cannot imagine that someone in California is going to be influenced by Delaware electing Ms I'm-not-a-witch. Why would they?

If they were influenced, that would suggest that they are not actually thinking about their own welfare.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 02:25:17 AM »
I cannot imagine that someone in California is going to be influenced by Delaware electing Ms I'm-not-a-witch. Why would they?

What the frell??  Why would who do what? 

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 11:41:41 AM »
Kramer said:
"If blue Delaware goes GOP with O'Donnell, watch the dominos(sic) fall to the right, including CA "

to which I commented:

And then you, who may not have been paying attention, added:

It is my contention that there are very few Californians who base their voting on anything that happened several hours earlier in Delaware.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 12:06:28 PM »
a) I said it (talk about not paying attention)
b) you keep claiming you don't respond to me or Kramer, yet you obviously continue to do so
c) no one is claiming that Californians, or even specific ones, like Kramer or myself, are basing their vote dependent on what happens in NJ    ::)

(Apparently, in Xo's world, Californians can only talk and discuss California politicians)

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 12:31:31 PM »
Kramer said:
"If blue Delaware goes GOP with O'Donnell, watch the dominos(sic) fall to the right, including CA "

to which I commented:

And then you, who may not have been paying attention, added:

It is my contention that there are very few Californians who base their voting on anything that happened several hours earlier in Delaware.

please get the correct reactionary person when you are making such claims. I never said anything like that.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 08:05:40 PM »
BIG problem....... 

At least the MSM is doing their part
------------------------------------------------

Constitution 101: the actual phrase "separation of Church and State" does not appear anywhere in the Constitution. Sorry to disillusion you, liberals.

Christine O'Donnell was trying to make this simple point in a debate Tuesday with Democrat opponent Chris Coons, but CNN misconstrued it and angled its write-up of the debate on CNN.com to read that O'Donnell was clueless on the First Amendment.

If you compare the write-up to the CNN video, you can see how flagrant the article's misinterpretation of the debate is. The author chooses to quote from one of two identical phrases that are included in the video. O'Donnell asks once in the video, "You're telling me that the separation of church and state, the phrase "separation of church and state," is found in the First Amendment?" (Emphasis added.)

The article, however, includes her second quote as part of an exchange with Coons: "Let me just clarify: You're telling me that the separation of church and state is found in the First Amendment?"

O'Donnell's point, if you listen to CNN's actual video, is pretty clear from her inflection -- she's challenging Coons on a common Constitutional misconception that he perpetuated: "separation of church and state" is explicitly named in the Constitution (it's not).

As a journalist, you have two responsibilities:
- quote accurately,
and
- make sure that, if there's something you've decided not to quote, you're still allowing whatever you do write to be framed by the context provided from the unquoted material.

So a good journalist, writing this story, would have listened again to the transcript, heard her ask the same question which specifically asked about phrasing, and made sure O'Donnell's point was brought across in context.

Meanwhile, Coons could not name the five freedoms listed in the First Amendment. But CNN didn't lead with that -- in fact, the only place in the story that CNN decides to mention the fact is from a direct quote from O'Donnell's campaign manager.  CNN also reports O'Donnell had to be reminded what the Fourteenth and Sixteenth Amendments were when a panelist's question asked her about them, but they fail to mention that the question also asked about the Seventeenth Amendment, which O'Donnell knew off the top of her head.

There's nothing like misrepresenting your opponent's position to expose your own ignorance, CNN. O'Donnell's biggest mistake was assuming the media would have the sense to realize she was asking a rhetorical question.

The left's not-so-secret weapon