Author Topic: Afghan woman activist killed  (Read 2712 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Afghan woman activist killed
« on: September 28, 2006, 02:42:39 PM »
Slaying of Afghan activist sounds alarm for women

Thu Sep 28, 7:02 AM ET

Call her the Susan B. Anthony of
Afghanistan. Safia Ama Jan fought for women's rights in a chauvinistic society. After the fall of the repressive Taliban regime in late 2001, she pushed women to vote and take part in civic life.
ADVERTISEMENT

"This country has had two-and-a-half decades during which both males and females have been left uneducated," she said two years ago. "You cannot change their minds overnight. We need some time."

Tragically, Ama Jan didn't get that time.

On Monday, suspected Taliban assassins gunned her down as she went to work in a taxi. The southern Kandahar government, where she ran the women's department, had denied her requests for a bodyguard.

Ama Jan's death at age 65, like the proverbial canary in a coal mine, raises a larger, and very disturbing, question: Is she a symbol of where Afghanistan's fledgling democracy is heading? It's not just that she was a victim of a dangerously resurgent Taliban. She was also facing an uphill battle in her fight for women's rights in Afghan society more broadly.

Her courage, and that of many other Afghan women, was bolstered by the Bush administration after it ousted the Taliban. The United States pushed for democracy and insisted that women take full part. It helped get girls back into school (the Taliban had kept them illiterate and at home) and helped craft a constitution ensuring women one quarter of the seats in the new parliament.

But now, women's equality is moving in the wrong direction. "We do have rights on paper, but we don't have them in reality," Fatima Kazimyan, one women's representative, told The Philadelphia Inquirer.

The signs are everywhere. Female members of parliament say they are not taken seriously. Most have been dropped from high government positions.

The most obvious problem is one of declining security. The Taliban are attacking girls' schools.
NATO forces, which have taken over from U.S. troops in the south, are facing fierce battles. Warlords reign in many areas. The heroin trade, which fuels both the Taliban and the warlords, is at an all-time high.

But security concerns can't be an excuse to dim the spotlight on women's rights. On Tuesday, at a news conference with Afghan President Hamid Karzai, Bush lamented Ama Jan's death - to illustrate the nature of the enemy in the war on terror.

Also disturbing, though, is the sidelining of women in the government and courts - hampering their struggle against the spread of harsh sharia law, which denies women most rights. This trend is replicating itself in
Iraq, which, under
Saddam Hussein's brutal yet secular regime, was one of the Middle East countries where women experienced the least discrimination.
[......]
http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20060928/cm_usatoday/slayingofafghanactivistsoundsalarmforwomen&printer=1;_ylt=Aq.IRxkYb5THpmVnPJmg5zn8B2YD;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Afghan woman activist killed
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 05:40:00 PM »
does anyone remember this young lady who`s got raped because her brother dated a lady of a higher class than him?
she prosecuted them and won and used the money to open a school for girls
I hope she`s still alive.
this article reminds me of her.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 11:03:59 PM »
I sure do, Kimba. That's who I thought they were talking about at first, until I read the article. 
http://ko.offroadpakistan.com/pakistan/2004_10/mukhtaran_bibi_sentenced_to_be_raped.html

Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 11:46:48 PM »
What's kind of ironic about this is that under the Communist governments of Afghanistan, women were completely liberated.  TIME magazine filed a story once from Kabul that referred to mini-skirted women with Western make-up jostling for sidewalk space with women in burqas, attending university and partying in nightclubs.  Of course, this was anathema to the mujahideen, including bin Laden, who the U.S. was supporting at the time to drive the "evil" Russians out of Afghanistan.

It IS funny to see the U.S. now trying to suppress the "evil" Taliban who want to (just imagine!!!) roll back women's rights to the 7th Century A.D.  The Russians must be laughing their heads off.

The fact of the matter, of course, is that the U.S.A. (or at least those who steer the ship of state for it) don't give a shit about women's rights and never have.  For the time being, their puppet Karzai (who will almost certainly face pretty much the same fate as Najibullah, the last Communist ruler, if he hangs around for too long) can be the face of enlightened gender equality, but this region has always been governed by much darker forces, and the half-assed multi-national effort now underway isn't going to have any more success than the Russians.  It's virtually impossible to impose democracy or even simple modernism at the point of a gun in the hands of a foreign invader pf an ancient culture.  They will outlast us.  They live there.

The_Professor

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 01:27:44 PM »
Interesting post, MT, since it has EL ZIPPO to do with the issue at hand: women's rights in Afghanistan.

Is it true or not that women have more rights now than under the rule of the Taliban? A nice clear, binary answer will suffice.

If the answer is YES, then a return to a rule of the Taliban (in my mind a virtual certainty...poor Karzai), is a true setback for women's rights.

Thank you.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 02:16:58 PM »
thanks lanya for the link
I`m worried about her

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 05:11:57 PM »
<<Interesting post, MT, since it has EL ZIPPO to do with the issue at hand: women's rights in Afghanistan.>>

Tell me, Professor, were you ALWAYS so interested in women's rights in Afghanistan?  or anywhere else?  Or did this interest suddenly arise when the US invaded Afghanistan?  (just askin)

The_Professor

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 10:48:17 AM »
I try to care about many issues, this being one of them. You see, I am the father of a daughter. That means my antenna goes up on these type of issues. Makes sesne?