Author Topic: How do you fear something currently not possible?  (Read 23379 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: How do you fear something currently not possible?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 09:46:47 PM »
Kimba....

There are many studies that show second hand smoke is harmful:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/11/26/us-smoking-passive-deaths-idUSTRE6AP00D20101126
http://www.healthnewsdigest.com/news/Health_Tips_620/Smoking_Secondhand_Smoke_and_our_Health_3.shtml

As far as meat eating and humans.....
Humans are obviously primarily herbivores.....look at their teeth.
Unlike humans carnivores usually have claws, sharp front teeth
capable of subduing prey, and no flat molars for chewing. Humans
are primarily built to eat veggies, but technology...our brains
have made our diets un-natural and thus all the health problems
that arise from eating too much of what our bodies are not designed to eat.
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 09:53:27 PM »

Unemployment 101: Who pays for jobless benefits, anyway?

Employers pay state and federal taxes to cover all those unemployment checks.
But with unemployment at 9 percent, those taxes aren't enough, leaving some states in dire straits.

Do the Republicans have a plan?

House majority leader Eric Cantor of Virginia suggests immediately suspending the federal unemployment tax, to save employers $56 per worker per year.

This would cost $7 billion a year. ?With the spending we are cutting, I don?t think finding offsets is a problem,? says Brendan Buck, a spokesman for House Speaker John Boehner of Ohio.

Republicans would also require that people receiving unemployment checks work in a part-time job for a six-week trial period. Cantor says this results in faster returns to work and fewer unemployment payments, thus lowering state unemployment taxes.

Cantor is treating unemployed workers like welfare recipients. What next? Require Social Security seniors to work part time too?

Tone deaf

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 10:33:45 PM »
Cantor is treating unemployed workers like welfare recipients.

what would you call 99 weeks of paychecks for sitting at home?

What next? Require Social Security seniors to work part time too?

Really fair analogy there BT.....most people on unemployment benefits are
able-bodied and not "senior citizens" in their golden years. Do you actually
oppose people receiving unemployment checks be required to work in
programs like Cantor suggested?

Speaking of "what next" how many weeks would you go?
Would you add on to the 99 weeks?
I personally know several people that told me
"well I gotta find a job soon my unemployemnt is about to run out"
Then when the SantaClaus-O-Crats extended it again the same people
said...."good....now I dont have to go take just any job".

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 10:56:54 PM »
Cantor is treating unemployed workers like welfare recipients.

what would you call 99 weeks of paychecks for sitting at home?

What next? Require Social Security seniors to work part time too?

Really fair analogy there BT.....most people on unemployment benefits are
able-bodied and not "senior citizens" in their golden years. Do you actually
oppose people receiving unemployment checks be required to work in
programs like Cantor suggested?

Speaking of "what next" how many weeks would you go?
Would you add on to the 99 weeks?
I personally know several people that told me
"well I gotta find a job soon my unemployemnt is about to run out"
Then when the SantaClaus-O-Crats extended it again the same people
said...."good....now I dont have to go take just any job".

Like social security or workmans comp, unemployment insurance is just that. Insurance.

So no i wouldn't treat unemployment benefit recipients the same way as i would a welfare recipient. And no i wouldn't force them into make work part time jobs that probably would cost more to create than the benefit is paying. It might rally the base speechifying this tough love talk, but all it really is is just another mandate from DC that the states will have to clean up.

What i might do is have one of the companies that the recipient says they applied to that past week fax over the job application. In other words spot check and get the word out that you are verifying that the recipients are looking for work.

And i would extend the benefits as long as the economy was in the tank.
Because in the long run that is cheaper than calling out the national guard to put down riots.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 11:26:21 PM »
Like social security or workmans comp, unemployment insurance is just that. Insurance.

Except most insurance companies don't pay out more than they take in for decades.
They would go broke if they did that for very long.
The difference? The insurance companies don't have a money printing press like govt.
They dont have a "fraud machine".
Social Security is the nation's largest welfare program..
When Madoff does it, it is called a Ponzi scheme.
When the Feds do it, it is called Social Security.

Because in the long run that is cheaper than calling out the national guard to put down riots.

In the long run it is best to not perpetuate the fraud....
the fall will be harder when reality finally takes hold.

That same National Guard should be on our borders keeping
law breakers out that dont seem to have that hard of time
finding jobs while others sit at home and wait for the gvt
check you want to send them to keep them from rioting! Ha!

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 11:30:23 PM »

Except most insurance companies don't pay out more than they take in for decades.
They would go broke if they did that for very long.
The difference? The insurance companies don't have a money printing press like govt.
They dont have a "fraud machine".
Social Security is the nation's largest welfare program..
When Madoff does it, it is called a Ponzi scheme.
When the Feds do it, it is called Social Security.

Then if they are going to offer the insurance and they are losing money, then they need to raise the rates or get out of the business altogether.

In the long run it is best to not perpetuate the fraud....
the fall will be harder when reality finally takes hold.

That same National Guard should be on our borders keeping
law breakers out that dont seem to have that hard of time
finding jobs while others sit at home and wait for the gvt
check you want to send them to keep them from rioting! Ha!

I don't have a problem with securing the borders. Think the Border Patrol is hiring?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 11:35:12 PM »
That's not a bad idea.

It's not?
I see it as another disgraceful tax on soccer Moms and working people.
Business will simply adjust by not giving raises or not hiring as many people.

BINGO.  But apparently to some, that's a good thing.  Good for whom, I wonder.  Definitely not to business and private corporations

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 11:49:05 PM »
Definitely not to business and private corporations

Don't see why not. It could result in overall lower costs to those businesses when all is said and done. But you knew that, having studied all up on the issue and all.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 01:15:32 AM »

Don't see why not.

Well, chalk that up to how you see my quotes.  You apparently see, what you want to see

It could result in overall lower costs to those businesses when all is said and done.

COULD is a "nice" word.  "Will" is far more elusive term.  It could also lead to far more unemployment numbers, deeper recession, and an even greater length to any recovery, if one is to be seen in this generation

And "presently", as in here and now, as well as the immediate short term,  the far more likely "will", is precisely what Cu4 referenced....Business will simply adjust by not giving raises or not hiring as many people.  But you knew that, having studied all up on the issue and all.   So, how long are we to wait for this "could"?  2 more years?  5 more?  and how many more millions in tax dollars do we keep using, to enable the status quo?  Who gets to define "when all is said and done"?

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 01:56:05 AM »

Don't see why not.

Well, chalk that up to how you see my quotes.  You apparently see, what you want to see

It could result in overall lower costs to those businesses when all is said and done.

COULD is a "nice" word.  "Will" is far more elusive term.  It could also lead to far more unemployment numbers, deeper recession, and an even greater length to any recovery, if one is to be seen in this generation

And "presently", as in here and now, as well as the immediate short term,  the far more likely "will", is precisely what Cu4 referenced....Business will simply adjust by not giving raises or not hiring as many people.  But you knew that, having studied all up on the issue and all.   So, how long are we to wait for this "could"?  2 more years?  5 more?  and how many more millions in tax dollars do we keep using, to enable the status quo?  Who gets to define "when all is said and done"?

The states have already encumbered the debt. And it is coming due. So even if the federal govt did nothing, rates would rise as they already have in 31 states.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 03:03:22 AM »
And "presently", as in here and now, as well as the immediate short term,  the far more likely "will", is precisely what Cu4 referenced....Business will simply adjust by not giving raises or not hiring as many people.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 03:21:26 AM »
And "presently", as in here and now, as well as the immediate short term,  the far more likely "will", is precisely what Cu4 referenced....Business will simply adjust by not giving raises or not hiring as many people.

So what has changed?

It's not like they would add staff for any other reason than it would positively affect the bottom line. And they certainly aren't giving raises unless they are faced with losing profitable employees.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2011, 03:32:19 AM »

So what has changed?

oy vey.  Recall when unemployment was no more than 5%.  Businesses WERE adding staff.  People WERE being employed.  Fed revenues WERE up

The what has changed part is largely Government reach...1st in the housing market, helping to bring that crashing down, then in the private industry with bank bailouts and Tarp.  Largely stagnating any attempt at an economic recovery by its ever pervasive attempt at supposedly helping to facilitate economic recovery.  Prince can explain this far better than I, but this latest boondoggle comes right on the heels of Obama supposed wanting to "work with business".  And his "helping" translates into more taxes thrust upon them

And I never did quite get an answer to who gets to define "when all is said and done"?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2011, 06:43:15 AM »

So what has changed?

oy vey.  Recall when unemployment was no more than 5%.  Businesses WERE adding staff.  People WERE being employed.  Fed revenues WERE up

The what has changed part is largely Government reach...1st in the housing market, helping to bring that crashing down, then in the private industry with bank bailouts and Tarp.  Largely stagnating any attempt at an economic recovery by its ever pervasive attempt at supposedly helping to facilitate economic recovery.  Prince can explain this far better than I, but this latest boondoggle comes right on the heels of Obama supposed wanting to "work with business".  And his "helping" translates into more taxes thrust upon them

And I never did quite get an answer to who gets to define "when all is said and done"?

Which has little to do with the Obama proposal, that actually helps the states and indirectly the employers of those states. And nary a word about the last time the ceiling was raised it was done by Reagan. So when discussing the here and now it would be helpful to actually discuss the here and now. And it would certainly be helpful if you knew what you were talking about

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2011, 11:16:02 AM »
Which has very much to do with the Obama proposal...more taxes being placed on the one area that doesn't need any more taxes, IF we're to start turning the economy around and bring down the unemployment #'s, that those same businesses & employers will be shouldered with.  That IS the here and now
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 11:43:02 AM by sirs »