Author Topic: Obama is losing the war in Afghanistan  (Read 1757 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Obama is losing the war in Afghanistan
« on: April 11, 2011, 05:41:05 PM »
"Our jihad against American troops will continue,
and one day we will reach the gates of America."

taliban.mpg
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Obama is losing the war in Afghanistan
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 08:53:30 PM »
what did you expect -- everything he touched turns to shit!

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 09:42:09 AM »
it's really sad
we have the best soldiers in the world
the best weapons in the world
but we allow weak minded/short sighted people prevent us from winning wars with our enemies
look at these guys below....the best of the best!

Aggressive Marine tactics thin enemy ranks,
alter Taliban tactics

By Bill Ardolino - April 11, 2011

Marines of India company, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines, 1st Marine Division in Sangin, Afghanistan.
Photo by Dusan Vranic / Associated Press.

Bing West files a report from his time embedded with Third Platoon of Kilo Company, Fifth Marine Regiment, in Sangin. His March dispatch adds another anecdote about the issue I raised in January: that the US Marines seem more aggressive than their predecessors in the volatile district, and Helmand province as a whole, and the Taliban react to this difference accordingly.

I had embedded with the platoon once before, in January, so the routine was familiar. A point man on a patrol detects one or more IEDs, and then a Taliban gang in civilian clothes usually opens fire. Marine snipers and machine-gunners shoot back, while a squad maneuvers around the flank, forcing the enemy to retreat.

Since September, the Third Platoon has shot somewhere between 125 and 208 Taliban--as many as one enemy killed per patrol. That rate may not seem high, but the cumulative effect has been crushing. Marine tactics, like Ohio State football, have the subtle inevitability of a steamroller. "We got a radio intercept yesterday," Lt. Garcia said. "Some Talib leaders in Pakistan were chewing out the local fighters for quitting. The locals yelled back, 'Marines run toward our bullets."West's football metaphor and anecdote more efficiently echo my assessment from January, which was based on my embed in northern Helmand last summer:

But I can attest that the story of USMC entry into northern Helmand has been invariably, incrementally the same: Wherever the Marines took over for the British, the Taliban would initially engage them in stand-up fights, attacking with small arms fire and traditional ambushes; but after a period of about three to six weeks, the insurgents alter their tactics to rely heavily on IEDs and "shoot and scoot" small arms attacks at a distance.

In each successive area, the insurgents made this tactical adjustment because they suffered far too many casualties when trying to hold their ground after engaging the Marines. For example, in late June 2010, RCT-2 officers estimated that 3/7 killed about 100 Taliban fighters in a single engagement just outside a village called Regay, in southern Musa Qala near Sangin. And the Marines were happy to show off bulletin board material: transcripts of intercepted radio communications by insurgent subcommanders expressing dismay that the Americans were more aggressive than their predecessors.

Notably, stand-up Taliban resistance in Sangin has lasted longer than "three to six weeks." This is certainly due to the district's proximity to the border of Kandahar province and its status as a nexus for the insurgents' opium trade.

http://www.longwarjournal.org/threat-matrix/archives/2011/04/bing_west_on_marine_tactics_in.php

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 10:45:33 AM »
Again, the US cannot win a civil war in Afghanistan. It would be possible to conquer the place as a colony at great cost and little benefit, but that is totally unlikely.

President Obama seems to be following the advice of his generals. They know more about this than any politician we could elect. The goal is simply to leave Afghanistan in the hands of a government that will not allow troops that could attack the US to train there and stage another attack. We are not going to create a democracy in Afghanistan. Neither Obama nor McCain could do this, and neither could a president Trump, Palin, Huckabee, Romney or anyone else.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 12:01:18 PM »
Again, the US cannot win a civil war in Afghanistan. It would be possible to conquer the place as a colony at great cost and little benefit, but that is totally unlikely.

President Obama seems to be following the advice of his generals. They know more about this than any politician we could elect. The goal is simply to leave Afghanistan in the hands of a government that will not allow troops that could attack the US to train there and stage another attack. We are not going to create a democracy in Afghanistan. Neither Obama nor McCain could do this, and neither could a president Trump, Palin, Huckabee, Romney or anyone else.

You remind me of Obama & Reid when they said Iraq was a lost war. The problem is the president is a crappy leader that would rather vacation & golf than do his job. A new Commander in Chief will fix the problem.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 12:17:57 AM »
Yeah, like The Donald. He knows all about Afghanistan.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 12:39:57 AM »

Trump doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of being elected. And if he is, this country deserves what they get.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 11:16:31 AM »

A spanish teacher wouldn't know much about leadership and a strong presence. But when certain men enter a room full of high powered people he should be able give off a vibe the exudes confidence, knowledge, leadership, ability and most of all respect -- Obama doesn't any of those traits but Trump does. I would vote for Trump before Obama. I would likely vote for Donald Trump Jr. over Obama. I would vote for Michelle Bachmann over Obama and even my brother in-law over Obama. The only thing Obama does well is race-bait, lie, pander, vacation, and read a teleprompter with a deep booming voice! Other than that Obamy is a phony.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 11:38:29 AM »
Trump does not exude anything that I would consider useful when he enters a room. He is just an egotistical, power-hungry fatcat who likes to mouth off.

No doubt that appeals to you.

Trump has zero chance of being president, and neither does that harpy Bachmann.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 12:03:44 PM »
Trump does not exude anything that I would consider useful when he enters a room. He is just an egotistical, power-hungry fatcat who likes to mouth off.

No doubt that appeals to you.

Trump has zero chance of being president, and neither does that harpy Bachmann.

I would estimate Obama's chances in 2012 to be no greater than 25% and that's because I'm feeling generous today. If the election were held today Trump would win. No doubt in my mind that this nation and the world won't be any better off next year so Obama won't be reelected. Go ahead fool yourself but you can't fool me.

Clearly I was right in 2008 not to vote for Obama and we all know you voted for him. Since his election he has proven to be an utter failure at everything, including golf. I was right and you were wrong so I know more about this stuff than you.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 12:25:06 PM by Kramer »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 01:28:22 AM »
Well, the Republican'ts have no one that can beat President Obama so far. Now Romney has entered the race officially.

You are not competent to evaluate the President's performance and you are clueless as to how the election will turn out.

I have no idea of how good Obama is at playing golf. I hardly think he is trying to be the next Tiger Woods. Golf is simply exercise and a good way to get outdoors. The goal is not to become a master at the sport, it's done for relaxation, and you are not an authority on how well the President or anyone relaxes.

No one needs to fool you, That is the one thing that you really excel at.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 11:48:31 AM »
Well, the Republican'ts have no one that can beat President Obama so far. Now Romney has entered the race officially.

You are not competent to evaluate the President's performance and you are clueless as to how the election will turn out.

I have no idea of how good Obama is at playing golf. I hardly think he is trying to be the next Tiger Woods. Golf is simply exercise and a good way to get outdoors. The goal is not to become a master at the sport, it's done for relaxation, and you are not an authority on how well the President or anyone relaxes.

No one needs to fool you, That is the one thing that you really excel at.

that was a bunch of silly gibberish could could easily apply to you or anybody.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 12:25:16 PM »
No, it applies to you.

You are a special sort of imbecile.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 12:36:12 PM »
No, it applies to you.

You are a special sort of imbecile.

you are so special but still an imbecile.

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 01:47:58 AM »
ROFL, just saw the title.....

Bush and his cronies lost it when they lost sight of what they should have been doing, fighting the Taliban and Al Qaida in Afghanistan, and went  on a fool's quest to fight Saddam in Iraq.

Buncha fricking idiots.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016