Author Topic: The Debt Debate  (Read 722 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Debt Debate
« on: April 14, 2011, 07:31:53 PM »
or more specifically, the debate on raising the debt ceiling.  Recall when Obama was campaigning and it was a "failure of leadership" if the debt ceiling were to be raised, however now claiming that his political rhetoric was wrong at the time, and that its necessary to raise it now.  Under Bush, nearly all, if not all of the GOP suported the raising of the debt ceiling, while nearly all, if not all the Dems opposed it.  One would think it was for economic/rational reasons and repercussions, as the politicians saw it, to this country for thier choice in supporting or opposing

Spring forward to 2011, now nearly all, if not all the GOP oppose the raising of the debt ceiling, while nearly all, if not all support it.  Hmmmm, the common demoninator appears to be who's in charge in the WH.  Is that what the debt ceiling is all about?  Is it merely political folly?  Or are these decisions, based apparently on who's running things, have far more serious consequences to this country, but are merely political blustering.

How important is holding Government to its "Credit Card Limit"?  I know when I went over as a teen and was late in my payments, my %rate was jacked up to nearly 30% over, and my limit was reduced.  But thankfully, it only affected me personally.  My lack of fiscal responsibility had no impact on the rest of the country
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: The Debt Debate
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 02:22:18 PM »
If they refuse to raise the debt limit, it means that interest on US bonds will not get paid, and the rates on future debt will soar.

They can repossess stuff you bought on credit and can't pay for. No one can repossess a country.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 02:56:59 PM »
If they refuse to raise the debt limit, it means that interest on US bonds will not get paid, and the rates on future debt will soar.

So when Obama & Democrats were decrying the effort being made by Bush & the GOP to raise the debt ceiling, it wasn't a "failure of leadership" and was purely political bluster & grandstanding.  And what Bush and the GOP were trying to do was to seriously repair any potential disaster that might befall the U.S.

Glad we got that cleared up

They can repossess stuff you bought on credit and can't pay for. No one can repossess a country.

"Too big to fail" you say?  How much do we owe to other countries that own our debt?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 03:54:43 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 03:01:43 PM »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 03:58:49 PM »
Incredibly, a stupid cartoon is not reality.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 04:09:45 PM »
Absolutely, reality is hypocritically condemning Bush & the GOP, while now proclaiming the necessity of doing exactly what Bush and the GOP were condemned for
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 01:52:22 AM by sirs »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 12:53:44 AM »
Sbsolutely, reality is hypocritically condemning Bush & the GOP, while now proclaiming the necessity of doing exactly what Bush and the GOP were condemned for

Well said!