Author Topic: The Palestinians of 1967  (Read 9679 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: The Palestinians of 1967
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2011, 01:42:06 PM »
I am not privy to what was going on in Balfour's head, but I imagine that the British felt that a Jewish (and therefore Western-oriented) state would make manipulating the area easier for the British.

Baron Rothschild was a Zionist and the richest Jew in the world, which no doubt impressed Balfour greatly. I think that he was recognized to be as close to an international Jewish leader as there was at the time.

It was a bad idea. There was so much Australia that was available at the time.

So we have the Brits promising the same land to two groups that can help defeat the Ottomans. The Great Arab Revolt led by Lawrence and the financier of the war effort in the form of Rothschild who was close to the Zionist Organization.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2011, 02:22:15 PM »
With the UN apparently trumping any such "mandate" with their go ahead of returning Jews to their homeland of Israel, following WWII

Pity the surrounding Arab countries took exception to this action, by constantly trying to push Israel into the Med.  They would likely still have their lands, which they could allow the Palestinians to settle on and call home.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2011, 03:02:19 PM »
With the UN apparently trumping any such "mandate" with their go ahead of returning Jews to their homeland of Israel, following WWII

Pity the surrounding Arab countries took exception to this action, by constantly trying to push Israel into the Med.  They would likely still have their lands, which they could allow the Palestinians to settle on and call home.

One would think that with this position you are taking about the UN holding the ultimate trump cards that you would be urging Israel to abide by the various resolutions affirming Israels boundaries as being those pre-67.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2011, 03:52:54 PM »
NEVER said or even implied they were "holding the ultimate trump cards".  That would AGAIN be some tweaked effort to ignore what I've said, and instead apply some concept you concluded I must have been thinking.  I merely provided a timeline of events and their actions

Hint: read what I say/type, and conclude from that, and not what you think I meant to say.  And if not sure, ASK, vs misrepresenting my position.....AGAIN
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2011, 04:07:34 PM »

My bad. I did not realize that to you the UN trump was a one off situation.  How convenient for the Israeli's.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »
What's even more bad is your continuing misrepresenting of my position that the UN trumped anything.  Historical timelines/actions, not a concept you ascribe to??

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2011, 04:20:21 PM »
What's even more bad is your continuing misrepresenting of my position that the UN trumped anything.  Historical timelines/actions, not a concept you ascribe to??

You used the word trump in your statement.
See:

So was that simply a bad choice of words or did you have a different definition of trump in mind?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2011, 04:24:12 PM »
The use of the qualifier "apparently" might be a key indicator to the answer you seek.  Or do you have a different definition of apparent?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2011, 04:46:21 PM »
The use of the qualifier "apparently" might be a key indicator to the answer you seek.  Or do you have a different definition of apparent?

Either UN resolution 181 was relevant or it wasn't. Apparently is just a wiggle word.

So let's get rid of the wiggle.

In your opinion did the UN have the authority to divide the lands of the Palestine Mandate? 

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2011, 05:24:08 PM »
The fact of the matter is they DID.  There is no opinion required, its a fact
--------------------------------------------
The fact of the matter is Israel was attacked, after the fact
The fact of the matter is Israel then took lands, following the '67 war, that belonged NOT to the Palestinians, but to messers Egypt, Syria, & Jordan, to better defend themselves from

The "mandate" by this time is long been since null & void, punctuated by the chronology of history and above fact of the UN allowing Jews to return to their homeland, following WWII.  As I said originally stated, pity the Arab nations felt compelled to attack Israel

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2011, 05:28:52 PM »
What is a fact? That the UN passed resolution 181 or that they had the authority to do so?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2011, 05:33:09 PM »
What is a fact?

That the UN allowed Jews to return to a soverign homeland called Israel, following WWII.  That is a fact

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2011, 05:37:14 PM »
What is a fact?

That the UN allowed Jews to return to a soverign homeland called Israel, following WWII.  That is a fact

Based on what authority?
Conversely how could the UN have stopped the migration of Jews to Palestine?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2011, 05:41:27 PM »
So we have the Brits promising the same land to two groups that can help defeat the Ottomans. The Great Arab Revolt led by Lawrence and the financier of the war effort in the form of Rothschild who was close to the Zionist Organization.
====================================================================

The British are nothing if not duplicitous.

The Zionists claimed that Palestine was empty. They told the Jewish refugees that it was a "Land without a people, for a people without a land."

The UN wanted to get rid of the problem, and Zionists seemed to be the best solution.

That didn't make it right. A nice chink of Austria and Germany would have been more fair, considering that the Arabs were not responsible for the Holocaust.

Israel claims over twice the land that the UN mandate gave them, by the way.
\
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2011, 05:44:17 PM »
Conversely how could the UN have stopped the migration of Jews to Palestine?

Being as land routes were destroyed, they came by sea. The British had the largest navy in the Mediterranean.
Had they sunk a ship or two, that would have probably put an end to it, but probably all they needed to do was threaten to sink ships.

They didn't, but it was a possibility.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."