Author Topic: Don't feed the homeless  (Read 844 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Don't feed the homeless
« on: June 19, 2011, 06:13:11 PM »
Orlando police arrested five more activists from behind a makeshift buffet table at Lake Eola Park on Wednesday evening, bringing to a dozen the number charged in the past week with violating city restrictions on feeding the homeless.

The members of the group Food Not Bombs were ladling out corn on the cob, rice, beans and watermelon to about 35 people when they were handcuffed. About two dozen activists and homeless people booed and chanted "Food is a right, not a privilege" as they were loaded into a waiting police van.

They were violating a controversial city ordinance that prohibits sharing food with large groups in a downtown city park more than twice a year. Food Not Bombs has been fighting the ordinance but lost a legal appeal in April, clearing the way for the city to begin enforcement.

The five arrested ? Nick Emery, Tommy Frain, Thomas Hellinger, Kyle Trailies and Fischer Williams ? ranged in age from 17 to 27.

The arrests follow four on Monday and three last week. Despite the arrests, Food Not Bombs members say they'll continue their twice-weekly feedings at Orlando's signature park to bring attention to what they consider an unjust law.

The local members are getting support from like-minded activists outside the city, as well. Two of those arrested, Emery and Frain, are members of a Food Not Bombs chapter in Tarpon Springs.

"It's important for people to come out and risk arrest and do whatever it takes," Emery said. "Food is a right."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/5-more-arrested-accused-of-feeding-homeless-in-1528523.html

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Don't feed the homeless
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 12:13:22 AM »
One thinks of the Orlando Police arresting Jesus Christ for feeding the loaves and fishes to the assembled faithful at the Sermon on the Mount.

Are the Orlando Police worse than the Roman Army of Occupation? I do not recall the Romans paying any attention to the loaves and the fishes.

I mean, it was not really balanced meal, but nutritional value does not seem to be a major issue in the Bible.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 01:09:58 AM »
actually it is not a bad idea,because food-not-bombs keep refusing to supply port-a -potties in additions to the service.

it really justify the restrictions.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 11:53:07 AM »
One thinks of the Orlando Police arresting Jesus Christ for feeding the loaves and fishes to the assembled faithful at the Sermon on the Mount.

Are the Orlando Police worse than the Roman Army of Occupation? I do not recall the Romans paying any attention to the loaves and the fishes.

I mean, it was not really balanced meal, but nutritional value does not seem to be a major issue in the Bible.

I'm sure you think that was cleaver but it was juvenile at best, otherwise not funny at all. Don't quit your Spanish gig
anytime soon!

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 12:41:50 PM »
That brings us to another issue: did Jesus supply Port-A-Potties to the Sermon of the Mount gathering? Was there perhaps an unrevealed miracle involved?

It is my understanding that a park was chosen for the distribution of food, and parks tend to have facilities available for such things.

I am retired, Kramer. I am no longer employed, and have not been since 2008.
===================================================================================
This reminds me of another matter, which is when did Jews get funny?

The Old Testament is full of severe and angry old geezers who make prophesies, complain about the immorality of the Hebrews, make a major deal about what you can and cannot eat  and generally warn the sinners that they are being clobbered by God for disobedience and are warned to stop disobeying God or they will REALLY get clobbered. Also, the get clobbered. The New Testament starts off with a clobbered people being oppressed by nasty Herod and the Romans, and again, more suffering, leprosy, and such and ends with the End of Everything. Lots of material for a straight man and a comic, and not one joke.

Then 1900 years or so pass, and now most of our great comedians are Jewish: the Marx Brothers, Milton Berle, Henny Youngman, Rodney Dangerfield, Sid Caesar, Sarah Silverman, and of course, Seinfeld. I could not come close to naming all the great Jewish comedians. So, when did the Jews get funny? There needs to be another book in the Bible that tells us how this happened and why.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 02:44:26 AM »
That is the Book of Ester.

Although the Old Testiment is really full of incongrueties, jokes as it were, the Book of Ester is the one that most strikes me as funny.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Esther+1&version=NIV

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 12:21:49 PM »
Incongruities are not the same thing as jokes, though they might be gist for jokes.

I have read the Book of Esther, but did not note it to be funny. There are lots funnier things out there, in any case. Perhaps i will take another look.

I am thinking that the humor of Ashkenazi Jews are more Polish, Latvian, and Russian than Hebrew. Sephardic names seem to be uncommon among prominent Jewish comedians.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 01:23:49 PM »
ok
shlomo goldberg is a name for comedy,but some people prefer not to use it

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0094047/

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 05:11:38 PM »
I am thinking that it is a name that gets one typecast as a particular sort of comedian.
That would limit one's roles to very few, I would think.
Standup comedians tend to not do all that well.
Seinfeld was the number one TV standup comedian in TV history, but so far in the movies, he made one movie, in which he was a bee, and it bombed.

Jewish names are not ideal for actors. Almost any other sort of name is better, UNLESS, you aren't Jewish, like Whoopie Goldberg, who would have been less successful as Caryn Elaine Johnson, I bet.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 10:46:30 PM »
Incongruities are not the same thing as jokes, though they might be gist for jokes.

I have read the Book of Esther, but did not note it to be funny. There are lots funnier things out there, in any case. Perhaps i will take another look.

I am thinking that the humor of Ashkenazi Jews are more Polish, Latvian, and Russian than Hebrew. Sephardic names seem to be uncommon among prominent Jewish comedians.

You must know what happens to translated jokes, some survive and some do not.

The Book of Ester is a favoriate of children celebrateing Purim, first they boo as Haman plots harm on the people, then howl with laughter as everything that can go wrong for Haman does go wrong.