Author Topic: Jim DeMint is absolutely correct  (Read 21211 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Jim DeMint is absolutely correct
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 11:53:50 AM »
Tax cuts do not always goose the economy.

If you set taxes at zero, you have no government at all. If you set taxes at 100%, you have no production. There is an ideal rate that is needed for a modern country to progress. This rate will vary with the type of economy and the resources of the country.

If you have big business, you will need a government powerful enough to regulate it. Capitalism by its very nature causes bubbles and busts every seven to ten years, as past history has shown us. The present mess was caused by government not having the proper regulations and enforcing those that it had due to excessive pressure by a few big business types who made put like bandits.

BT is right: DeMint is a posturing clown, who thinks he is the Big Swinging Dick of the GOP. He should be ignored except as a suitable target for banana creme pies.

Ryan's budget sucks, but he is sincere, just horribly wrong about what this country needs.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 03:41:42 PM »
Leave it to Xo to bring up the all or nothing tax strawman tact.  Does it nearly every time the debate on taxes come up....neatly ignoring that those who support tax cuts aren't advocating a 0% tax, and never have

The issues is the here and now, and what does increases or decreasing taxes do, right now.  The country is arguably in a double dip recession, if not a depression.  Jobs have been hemorrhaging, leading to decreased tax revenues into government coffers.  So, NO, increasing taxes may help the government coffers in the immediate short term, but severely exacerbate the condition that the economy is already in, as companies hire less, and pass on their taxes to their customers, in the matter of higher prices

So NO, increasing taxes isn't the answer.  Historically speaking, everytime the country's leadership enacted across the board tax cuts, INCLUDING that of corporate America, MORE money into people's hands, MORE MONEY to spend (increased sales tax dollars to the Government), MORE MONEY to invest/expand, leads to MORE jobs (and increased income tax dollars, to the Government)

But see, leftists like Xo, don't get that.  Well they do, but that requires less need/control for Government, and we sure as hell can't be having that.  Because the more people "struggle", the more they "need" the Government......thus the perpetuating abyss that Obama and company have been taking us down in

DeMint may be posturing, but the cycle has to stop.  Goverment can't just keep crying wolf, and let the status quo continue, making, what the CBO made clear in their latest reports, a situation, where we will NOT be able to recover.  We'll be Greece on an exponential scale

The funny thing with Ryan, is he barely scratched the surface of what needs to be done, but at least it was a starting point
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 04:15:50 PM »
DeMint is making an ass of himself.
 He is not correct about anything.
Taxes are not too high.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 04:39:56 PM »
Yes, they are...and increasing them will only exacerbate what is already a dreadful death spiral that Obama & company have sent us in
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 05:08:16 PM »
The disgraceful hidden tax on working people also known
as the Corporate Tax should be immediately abolished.

Most Capital Gains taxes should be greatly reduced or eliminated.

All death taxes should also be eliminated.
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 05:20:16 PM »
The disgraceful hidden tax on working people also known
as the Corporate Tax should be immediately abolished.

Most Capital Gains taxes should be greatly reduced or eliminated.

All death taxes should also be eliminated.

How does those bring immediate balance to the budget as DeMint is demanding?

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 05:57:55 PM »

A balanced budget is done primarily via "across the board" (shared burden)
cuts until it is brought into balance. PERIOD! No excuses for the heroin addict
to continue the "oh just one more needle today and I'll stop tomorrow." If
you wanna "play nice" you could phase in the across the board automatic cuts
over 2-5 years...whatever. But the immoral deficit addiction must be stopped!

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 06:21:55 PM »

A balanced budget is done primarily via "across the board" (shared burden)
cuts until it is brought into balance. PERIOD! No excuses for the heroin addict
to continue the "oh just one more needle today and I'll stop tomorrow." If
you wanna "play nice" you could phase in the across the board automatic cuts
over 2-5 years...whatever. But the immoral deficit addiction must be stopped!

So the tax cuts you propose do nothing to balance the budget, in fact it might delay balancing.

Just so you understand my position, i am not against a balanced budget amendment with appropriate wording to allow for unbalanced spending in case of war or disaster.

What i find rediculous is DeMints posturing as if he speaks for the Tea Party demanding a balanced budget amendment now in exchange for raising the ceiling.

I wouldn't be against a surtax on sales, say 3%, limited to 2 years, collected by the states and kept by the states with a dollar for  dollar deduction from federal block grants. I would be against raising taxes on only one class, be it the richest or the poorest.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 06:51:10 PM »
So the tax cuts you propose do nothing to balance the budget,
in fact it might delay balancing.

Surprise....no exactly the opposite.

The tax cuts to balance the budget would show
the herion addict was serious about getting well.

The economy would be ignited and govt revenues
would increase with a vibrant economy.

Govt revenues increase when companies hire and create more new taxpayers.

I am with the economists that believe lower taxes equals greater govt revenue, not less.

What i find ridiculous is DeMints posturing as if he speaks for the Tea Party
demanding a balanced budget amendment now in exchange for raising the ceiling

Why?
You find it strange to demand a balanced budget amendment
before the herion addict gets another hit of crack? Why is it
odd to demand a commitment to "get well" before another shot
of the disgraceful drug?

I wouldn't be against a surtax on sales, say 3%, limited to 2 years, collected by the states and kept by the states with a dollar for  dollar deduction from federal block grants. I would be against raising taxes on only one class, be it the richest or the poorest.

I am against any new taxes. The answer isn't more taxes, it's shrinking govt that
wants to run our lives from light bulbs to toilets. It is a sick, sick, thieving addict!

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 07:18:48 PM »
So the tax cuts you propose do nothing to balance the budget,
in fact it might delay balancing.

Surprise....no exactly the opposite.

The tax cuts to balance the budget would show
the herion addict was serious about getting well.

The economy would be ignited and govt revenues
would increase with a vibrant economy.

Govt revenues increase when companies hire and create more new taxpayers.

I am with the economists that believe lower taxes equals greater govt revenue, not less.

What i find ridiculous is DeMints posturing as if he speaks for the Tea Party
demanding a balanced budget amendment now in exchange for raising the ceiling

Why?
You find it strange to demand a balanced budget amendment
before the herion addict gets another hit of crack? Why is it
odd to demand a commitment to "get well" before another shot
of the disgraceful drug?

I am against any new taxes. The answer isn't more taxes, it's shrinking govt that
wants to run our lives from light bulbs to toilets. It is a sick, sick, thieving addict!

The GOP has had the opportunity to propose massive spending cuts since January 1. How are they doing with that? Not so well. Best they can do is go after low ticket items like NPR and Planned Parenthood.

This is not about heroin addicts smoking crack. What a rediculous analogy. The Grandma you want to kick to the curb isn't a heroin addict. She worked all her life and contributed her fair share to Medicare and Social Security and rightfully should expect that the govt honor its side of the bargain. Unfortunately Granny is 43% of the deficit. But if your tough love is kicking her to the curb, so be it. Your majority should last about one election cycle.

This is about restructuring the entire federal government and the best way to decentralize what we as a nation feel are worthy expenditures. And it could well be that the feds do defense and federal courts and that's it. But in order to do that we need a revolution, not the promise of one. (Sorry Reagan fans, but did he really deliver on his promises?)

Now if you have some concrete proposals that will quickly balance the budget without raising taxes, i'm all ears. I just don't think it can be done immediately, nor do i think DeMint thinks it can be done immediately. Which is why he isn't absolutely correct.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 08:20:46 PM »
The GOP has had the opportunity to propose massive spending cuts since January 1. How are they doing with that? Not so well. Best they can do is go after low ticket items like NPR and Planned Parenthood.

This is not about heroin addicts smoking crack.

Yes, it is EXACTLY like that.  It's an addiction....Government spending.  What used to be somewhat rational, is now completely out of control, and yes, an addiction, just like crack

We've even had some concrete proposals, but they keep being demagogued, as usual, as trying to throw Grandma and the family on the street, and everyone is going to lose their medicare, not to mention their SS.  You know, the same'ol same'ol

« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 08:33:08 PM by sirs »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 08:43:35 PM »

Yes, it is EXACTLY like that.  It's an addiction....Government spending.  What used to be somewhat rational, is now completely out of control, and yes, an addiction, just like crack

We've even had some concrete proposals, but they keep being demagogued, as usual, as trying to throw Grandma and the family on the street, and everyone is going to lose their medicare, not to mention their SS.  You know, the same'ol same'ol

So you have nothing? Just showboating politicians making ridiculous threats with powers they don't have? DeMint comes across as no more rational than the police chief of Chicago.

Show me how you and your fellow deficit hawks would balance the budget without raising taxes.

I'm all ears.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 08:49:32 PM »

So you have nothing?

LOL....I just demonstate a huge "something", as in Ryan's budget blueprint, as has Cu4, and you've concluded "nothing".  Priceless

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 08:56:11 PM »
Ryan's blueprint doesn't balance the budget for 26 years. How does that meet  DeMints demands?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2011, 08:59:43 PM »
Ryan's budget is toast. A shameless sucking up to the oligarchy.