• View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Debate
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 11:23:21 AM »
From the Professors old friend Jerry Pournelle:
A Program

Getting the economy going again is important; the Democrats aren’t going to do it. The “stimulus” with its “shovel ready” jobs didn’t do it – indeed, the President was amused to tell us that the shovels weren’t as ready as he had thought. A near trillion dollar oops. The problem was that funneling the money to cronies didn’t do anything to rebuild the national infrastructure, which continues to deteriorate. A new stimulus won’t help that. The infrastructure can be rebuilt by state and local governments, and will have to, but to do that will require state and local government reforms: all levels of government are broke, and will stay that way until the economy improves. Getting the feds out of that act will stimulate the states to compete for jobs and capital – as Texas is already doing, extracting a lot of jobs and capital from Silicon Valley to Austin and other high tech regions in Texas. Competition among the states will reduce regulatory strangulation, but only if the feds stop throttling the economy.

There is a way to get started on this. Now.

I do hope that all the candidates will adopt this program:

Double the exemption numbers for small businesses: that is, whatever regulations you are exempt from by dint of having 10 or fewer employees, you will now be exempt if you have 20 or fewer; similarly for larger numbers. The regulations will still apply, but the exemption numbers are doubled.

Suspend Sarbanes-Oxley until it can entirely be rewritten. This glob of financial regulations was enacted in reaction to Enron. It doesn’t do what it was intended to do. There are said to be some good effects from it: let those be debated and reenacted. The stifling effects are obvious. The good points are a bit more obscure. It needs work, and until that time, it ought to be put out of the way.

Suspend Dodd-Frank until it can entirely be rewritten. This is another enormous act that was poorly thought out, and has had wide ranging effects that were not intended. The whole notion of financial regulations needs rethinking.

Repeal ObamaCare. If we need a new national health care plan, work on that; but this one isn’t going to work.

The Republicans can pass these measures in the House. They won’t be accepted in the Senate but the debates will be enlightening, and this will have a salutary effect on the Presidential election. ObamaCare was passed by a lame duck session with a reconciliation conference, without any proper debate. We have seen enough of Sarbanes-Oxley and Dodd-Frank to know they are stifling: let them be defended in public debate.

The message will be that the Republicans stand for freedom, the Democrats for more government control. It is time to have the American people choose. Either we go down the road to Empire or we turn again toward a Free Republic. Rome had centuries of Imperial Glory after Augustus converted the Republic to Empire and Claudius set up the Imperial bureaucracy using freedmen. Competent Empire is a viable system of government; competent empires have lasted longer than most Republics. The United States at 235 years or so is a bit young compared to the Roman Republic which was around 400 years old at its collapse, and much younger than the Venetian Republic when Napoleon ended it. Britain became what amounts to an aristocratic republic in 1688. France in 1789. Britain and France seem destined to be absorbed in the bureaucracy of the European Union. We will see.

But the alternatives are stark here. Either we go back toward renewing the Republic or we slide further and further into rule by bureaucracy; and the remedy to that is generally empire. Turn to someone who can control the rapacious officials. One of our main complaints against King George III (really against the Parliament of Westminster) is that the king had erected needless Offices and sent among us swarms of Officers to harass the people and eat out their substance. Would we had only the customs and Stamp Act officers now!

http://jerrypournelle.com/jerrypournelle.c/chaosmanor/#program

And for your musical enjoyment:
Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Boston Tea Party

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 12:29:32 PM »
Cain has zero chance.

Perry would be an AWFUL president. This country does not need some goofy weirdo that holds "prayer meetings"

i will take perry's religion over obama's religion any day oi the week. for that matter, I will take perry's religion over yours too. I like the religion of being qualified to be president.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 02:56:48 PM »
Mit Romney's resume and Herman Cains personality would be a really good canadate.

Can someone with Hermams personality ever get a resume like Mitts?

=====================================
Cain's personality sucks. He is a loudmouthed blowhard. Perhaps he was well-suited to run a third class pizza chain.
 Romney's father failed to get the nomination for president when he said he was brainwashed about Vietnam, which was essentially true, and he served as a one term governor. Big effing deal.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 04:13:42 PM »
Mit Romney's resume and Herman Cains personality would be a really good canadate.

Can someone with Hermams personality ever get a resume like Mitts?

=====================================
Cain's personality sucks. He is a loudmouthed blowhard. Perhaps he was well-suited to run a third class pizza chain.
 Romney's father failed to get the nomination for president when he said he was brainwashed about Vietnam, which was essentially true, and he served as a one term governor. Big effing deal.

romney's father isn't running for office and Cain would make a much much much better president than Obama.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 05:46:44 PM »
Cain will never get the nomination.

Romney is much more likely to do so, but I question the opinion that he has such a great resumé. Huntsman's seems better.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 10:01:04 PM »

Romney is much more likely to do so, but I question the opinion that he has such a great resumé. Huntsman's seems better.

Cain is a man, obama is a boy!

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 04:25:00 AM »

What is the reason to think of Romney as a frount runner?

Is he the choice of the media?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 01:01:51 PM »
Romney is not barking mad like Cain, Bachmann, Paul or Palin. He is not carbon copy of Juniorbush like Perry, or hated by 3/4th so the nation like Gingrich.

Of course, he made the Grover Norquest Pledge, so he is clearly unrealistic as to how to fix the economy.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 06:16:51 PM »
  You realise ,don't you ,that your accusation of barking madness is about the best endorsement I could have heard from you.

If Romney is easily acceptable to the left , then I will want a stronger antidote to the obamapoision.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 07:39:22 PM »
I would not vote for Romney, I just do not consider him to be insane like the rest of the reactionaries.

Anyone who says they will not raise taxes before they actually are president and know the total situation is a total fool, especially when that means they will not end loopholes in the tax code, which is how Grover Norquist defines it.

None of them would swear that they would not start a war or even refuse a specific weapons system, and taxes are at least as important as those things.

I do not represent the left or anyone but myself. If you make your decisions based on opinions of others, then your opinions are not worth much. I'd never do that.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 08:07:27 PM »
Anyone who says they will not raise taxes before they actually are president and know the total situation is a total fool, especially when that means they will not end loopholes in the tax code, which is how Grover Norquist defines it.

Not true.

http://www.thestatecolumn.com/articles/grover-norquist-closing-loopholes-not-the-same-as-raising-taxes/

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 08:18:02 PM »
       I value your opinion without feeling obliged to agree or oppose it, You are a thinking person and the development of your opinions are good for me to consider even if I go in another direction.

Mitt is not my favoriate , he is presently too involved in the triangulation of staying ahead to say anything of consequence.

Herman Chain is mmore like what I want, good with math and having a good understanding of business and the common wisdom.

It is almost a shame to send a great guy like that to Washington DC to get ruined.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 11:37:14 PM »
I would not worried about Herman Cain becoming president.

He has a better chance of visiting Jupiter.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2011, 11:58:54 PM »
I would not worried about Herman Cain becoming president.

He has a better chance of visiting Jupiter.

as usual you are wrong

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 04:06:40 PM »
When Cain fails to get the nomination, I will tell you that you were wrong.

Also when he fails to become president.

He doesn't have the support in the GOP. He has not
"paid his dues", which is a big deal for them. And, of course, running Cain against Obama would surely bring a White third party candidate out to confound the election. Cain could not get any 50%