Author Topic: So, what is the proper way to way the "n-word"?  (Read 1705 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
So, what is the proper way to way the "n-word"?
« on: October 03, 2011, 08:06:30 PM »
"View" Co-Host Approves Of Whoopi Using The N-Word, Not Walters

In the 'Hot Topics' segment on "The View" this morning, the ladies discussed a Washington Post story about a rock with the word "Niggerhead" written on it at the gated entrance of a hunting camp leased and frequented by Rick Perry and his father.

Host Barbara Walters used the n-word while explaining the story, causing co-host Sherri Shepherd to take offense. Shepherd says she didn't like the way Barbara Walters said it. However, Shepherd was okay with Whoopi Goldberg, the main host of "The View," using it. Shepherd explained herself:

"When I heard you (Whoopi) say it, it was fine. You said it a different way. When I heard you (Barbara) say it, I didn't like the way you said it. Because when you say it, you say [inaudible]. And I don't like [inaudible]," Shepherd said.

This left Barbara Walters confused and wanted to know the proper way to say the n-word. However, Shepherd told Walters there is no right way for her to say it.

Walters said the n-word once in the segment while Whoopi Goldberg used the word nearly a dozen times.

So...it's ok to say it if you're black?  Explain that one, please
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: So, what is the proper way to way the "n-word"?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 08:38:30 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2044412/Rick-Perry-family-hunting-camp-retreat-name.html

Seems strange that there exists no picture of the insensitive rock, perhaps it really has been obscured for a long time.

How about the word "fat" ?

When weird Al Yankovitch sings the word "fat" is isn't trying to be sensitive , he is going for a laugh. Fat people are warned to avoid being too sensaitive.

Or is it worse for a plastic surgion to say "fat"?

Is it nutral in the vocabulary of a dietician?
      When a fat guy says "fat" can you be sure that he means no insult?

Repeat this process with words of great connotation like "chick" "WOP" "crazy"
"rich" "opressor".

Perhaps we ought to expunge our language of every word that passes a certain threshhold of pain caused?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 09:07:49 PM »
Cain as a man is the product of his youth and of those times.

Consider that he was 11 years old when SCOTUS came out with their decision re: Brown vs Board of Education.

He saw colored water fountains and rode in the back of the bus and went to segregated schools.

But he also saw that hard work and education was the path to prosperity.

So do we judge the man because he overcame a stacked deck or do we judge the man because he might still harbor some resentments?

There is another story here and that is how the media likes to frame events and portray people as thirty second soundbites. And it sure likes to throw cats in a gunnysack and watch them fight.

Is Perry a racist because his family leased some land that was known as niggerhead or is he not racist enough because he advocates in state tuition for the sons and daughters of illegal immigrants, many who have spent more time in Texas and paid more sales taxes and property taxes directly or indirectly than the students who automatically qualify even though they are newcomers to the state having crossed state instead of national borders. I heard you can't cross the street in Houston without bumping into some Yankee carpetbagger from Michigan. Makes you wonder whether some folks are out to get him.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 09:51:42 PM »

Is Perry a racist because his family leased some land that was known as niggerhead or is he not racist enough because he advocates in state tuition for the sons and daughters of illegal immigrants, "
Ironicly he can be both.

The purpose of anyone that cannot tolerate the "racism" of a word someone elese painted on a rock that Perry might have walked by, is not the reduction of racism.

The purpose of anyone who faults the govenor for supporting a polacy that three quarters of his constituancy approves heartily isn't really concerned with the people of Texas or their condition.

From his right and his left there are people interested in the reduction of Govenor Perry, each excuse is usefull.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 10:19:13 PM »
Are the cats still in the gunnysack?

Think so.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 11:25:08 PM »
I doubt I`m wrong about this
since the N-word is now used as a term of affection now by thier own race it`s now should be considered not as offensive as all other racial terms. I don`t bel;ieve any other term has been used in a positive way.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 12:40:39 AM »
I think that as was discussed on the View, blacks took ownership of that word. And they are very possessive about it.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 12:41:28 AM »
The fact is that White people who use this word will piss Black people off. It has come to be what anthropologists call a  taboo.
Like a Navajo cannot speak directly to his mother in law or say her name.  It is generally a taboo to ask a perspon you just met what his salary is, or how frequently he has sex with his wife.

It is disrespectful to fail to respect the taboos of others.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 01:49:10 AM »
it`s not a very well thought of taboo,because any visitor will easily think it`s ok to say in public and for some reason it becomes not ok. it`s abit infairly for non-americans to magiclly know it`s taboo. I believe a variant of that word is used in austria.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 01:57:44 AM »
mandarin word for" that" sound just like the n-word
checkout russel peters mandarin on youtube

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 02:18:05 AM »
Taboos are not fair or unfair, nor can we expect a taboo to be ignored out of courtesy to foreigners.

Taboos are not rational or planned.

Homophone words in other languages are coincidences, and if misunderstood as a taboo word, will not be well received.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 10:18:59 AM »
I know a guy from the ivory coast and he told told me the name of his village. I almost fell down laughing, because in my language cantonese it means f--- you.
he also naturally points with his middle finger. the guy just can`t win.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 10:45:09 AM »
Pointing with the middle finger in our culture is close to being a taboo.
Seen from a logical point of view, it is the longest and therefore the most noticeable finger, and therefore perhaps the most effective finger to use.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 12:19:08 PM »
I just can`t in this cause give the n-word it`s proper cultural respect due to it`s confusing nature and because it was made within a short span of time

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 01:26:47 PM »
he also naturally points with his middle finger. the guy just can`t win.

Many (eastern) Indians do this as well. Plus they have a "head bob" (kinda side to side) that means the same as a "nod" (up and down) for westerners.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)