Author Topic: So much for "my body my choice" Cali bans tans under 18, just not abortion.  (Read 1738 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

You can get an abortion but not a tan, kid

October 9, 2011

by Don Surber

California continues to be an embarrassment to the other 49 states. The state government now bans people from using tanning beds until they are 18. But minors will continue to be able to have abortions without the permission ? or even knowledge ? of their parents. So much for my body, my choice.

From Reuters: ?Minors in the state of California will no longer be allowed to use tanning beds after Governor Jerry Brown signed a bill on Sunday prohibiting anyone under the age of 18 from using ultraviolet tanning devices. California is the first state in the nation to ban minors from using tanning beds, legislators said.?

The law takes effect on January 1.

I suppose we can now call it the not-so-golden state.

Before, kids 14-18 could use a tanning bed. I wonder if this applies to families that have tanning beds of their own. I wonder if anyone will dare to challenge this idiocy in court.

Maybe California will do with tans what it does with pot and allow for medical tanning.

Frankly, I think we ought to stop the government from passing any law that is designed to protect our health. Governments are supposed to protect our rights, not our health.

http://blogs.dailymail.com/donsurber/archives/44015
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
They can't tan but a 6 year old can go get treated for an STD without parental approval. I get it!

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Frankly, I think we ought to stop the government from passing any law that is designed to protect our health. Governments are supposed to protect our rights, not our health.
====================================================

Yeah, let's abolish the FDA. They have been preventing the sale of a highly effective weight control plan for far too long.

Just a tapeworm egg or two in a capsule would help even Oprah and Rush keep those pounds off. Nothing so effective as a couple dozen intestinal parasites.

And let's put the Coca back in Coca-Cola as well.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
    The unelected power of the FDA has grown too much, OSHA even moreso.

Why have constitutional limits on the President , the Congress but give all the balance of power that remains to unelected agencys?

I would like for the FDA to be required to demonstrate to the satisfaction of a congressional comitte the need for any new regulation before they enact it.

OSHA too.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Works for me
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Not for me.

Osha and the FDA are needed as they are.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Not for me.

Osha and the FDA are needed as they are.

OSHA is the worst.

If you worked where I do you would have to wear a safety harness anytime you might fall four feet.
This safety harness will come taunt after a six foot descent.

You would be required to wear ear plugs, even if the condition at the time was silence.

One week required to keep the floor clean swept , next week forbidden to sweep.

OSHA requirements are ivory tower born and real world implemented to our discomfort , dismay and disadvantage.

I am glad to have the safty equipment made avalible , some of it is a real boon, but the requirement that I must ignore my own judgement as the when and how to use it is an insult not worthy of the tiny improvement in safety, nor even would it be if the gain were great.

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:

You can get an abortion but not a tan, kid

October 9, 2011

by Don Surber

California continues to be an embarrassment to the other 49 states. The state government now bans people from using tanning beds until they are 18. But minors will continue to be able to have abortions without the permission ? or even knowledge ? of their parents. So much for my body, my choice.

From Reuters: ?Minors in the state of California will no longer be allowed to use tanning beds after Governor Jerry Brown signed a bill on Sunday prohibiting anyone under the age of 18 from using ultraviolet tanning devices. California is the first state in the nation to ban minors from using tanning beds, legislators said.?

The law takes effect on January 1.

I suppose we can now call it the not-so-golden state.

Before, kids 14-18 could use a tanning bed. I wonder if this applies to families that have tanning beds of their own. I wonder if anyone will dare to challenge this idiocy in court.

Maybe California will do with tans what it does with pot and allow for medical tanning.

http://blogs.dailymail.com/donsurber/archives/44015

Apples and oranges. If minor sex could be banned, which leads to pregnancy (as tanning leads to cancer), then this would be a plausible comparison. Or, on the other hand, if skin cancer treatment were being banned for minors, the comparison would also be plausible.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Why doesn't California have the fortitude to ban tanning beds altogether if they are so dangerous.

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Why doesn't California have the fortitude to ban tanning beds altogether if they are so dangerous.

No idea.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  That could be like the rules for smoking , once one is old enough to really understand the risk, the freedom to be stupid can be endowed.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
The only reason smoking is still legal for adults is because all the various levels of govt make a boatload of money from it.

Does the same hold true for tanning beds?

or marijuana.