Author Topic: Winning in Iraq  (Read 2836 times)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Winning in Iraq
« on: January 16, 2007, 03:34:52 PM »
Following many topics over the last few weeks it has become evident that one must not only have a view for Iraq, but a plan as well. I believe I have a plan and one that is truly needed at this stage in the "war" for Iraq's future.

History
We cannot look into the future of Iraq without understanding her past. In general it has been a past of oppression and domination. It was a state dominated by the Ottoman Turks. Once it was set free from Turkish domination it came under the authority of British rule (post Great War). The British chose to install a Hashemite Monarch and allow Sunni dominion over the majority Shi'a and Kurdish, who did occasionally revolt. To attend to these revolts the British hastily repressed the Shi'a and Kurds, typically with Indian and local Sunni soldiers even using chemical gasses found unsuitable for use on the fields of Europe during the Great War. As Iraq became a post colonial Baathist regime it remained in Sunni hands under Saddam Hussein who employed brutal strategies in order to maintain control, especially on the Kurdish and Shi'a populations.

Guerilla Warfare
The American military, much like its Israeli brethren has shown little propensity towards fighting guerilla warfare in this environment. While death in combat remains managable, injuries and public relations have not gotten under control. Iraq itself remains a very dangerous place and the pace of rebuilding has been labeled by many as "poor" and "unsatisfactory." The main road from the airport into Baghdad's Green Zone is not secure. Many of the slums surrounding Baghdad are not secure. Sectarian violence has created havoc and made life unsuitable and unsafe for many of the liberated population.

The Plan

1. Establish Authority
2. Enforce Authority
3. Establish Fear
4. New Government
5. Victory

Establish Authority

The rushed Iraqi Government is an utter and ridiculous failure. They are not respected and are rather useless. In many ways they are an obstacle we don't need. Remove them.

The only authority in Iraq will be an American Governor General and a British General.

Enforce Authority

All media, television, newspapers, and any other reporting done in Iraq will go through the American Governor General's Office. Anyone in violation gets sent to jail. All trials are handled swiftly by a military court in Baghdad. Efficiency is paramount. Laws are passed by a consultation with the British General. That's it. No legislature or other garbage to get in the way. This isn't the time for the inefficient trudging along of a Republic. That can come post war.

Establish Fear

There are a number of methods to go about this.

1. If you get listed on the most wanted list for sectarian attacks, then family retribution sets in. Your male relatives get castrated and sent to a labour internment camp. Your female family members get sent to a GI brothel. Children get placed in foster homes. All of their property gets used as target practice and the nicest home gets turned into a public toilet.

2. When they kill 30 Sunni in an attack, our military kills 40 Shi'a. When the Sunni retaliate and kill 40 Shi'a, our military kill 50 Sunni. We go door to door and pull people out of homes. We get other Sunni/Shia to do the executing. They'll get tired of the blood eventually or they'll be few of them left - whichever comes first. The executions will be televised so everyone can see.

3. Run up and shoot a GI then hide in a crowd of people? We'll gather the entire crowd and shoot them all one by one.

4. If a shrine, a building, or a home causes a problem more than once it gets blown up. Two strikes and you're blown up policy.

5. No more torture. It is a stupid waste of time and prison space. You comit a crime, you die.

6. Control the water: every well, oasis, waterhole, and the two major rivers become property of the Governor General. Anyone who comes within 10 feet of a source of water without proper authority is shot - no questions asked. Water becomes strictly rationed and ownership of any non-rationed water is a crime (see #5 above).

7. Every Friday is gun amnesty day. Bring in weapons and receive an extra water ration. If no weapons are brought in that day then the town has to select a certain percentage of people to be killed.

8. Add your own...

New Government

After a few years of this the Iraqis should be good and tired of the bloodshed. A dictator should be installed that can maintain the peace, but with much less violence.

Victory

Thoughts?
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Winning in Iraq
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 03:56:53 PM »
Il Duce would give you a medal for your clever plan.

It is rather like what the UN Charter was written to prevent. It might tend to make the US even more unpopular. With the improved means of communication we have these days, we might even achieve a degree of unpopularity unreached by both Il Duce and Der Fuhrer alike. Pol Pot was a movie idol compared to what this would make us.

Still, one does not make ze omelet mitpout breaking ze eggs.

I have often heard that Generalisimo Trujillo was the main reason why the Dominican Republic was so much better organized than Haiti. And Franco and Pinochet set things right for progress in Spain and Chile, too. I wonder how much we could improve the US if we had a period of real Law and Order of the sort that only a good military could provide.

Castration for the men, whoredom for the women, orphanages for the kids. What a nice touch. Might I suggest selling the children for adoption by nice American couples? It's hard to get an even sorta White kid these days.

Il Duce liked 'decimation', but I see you have opted for wholesale slaughter, rather than just the one out of ten plan. If the crowd is unarmed, why not try draining their blood and harvesting their organs before killing them?

The less useful parts we could process for petfood.

But we should remember to cook it thoroughly, with no brainstem or neural content, so as to avoid Fido becoming a new sort of 'mad dog'

It sounds like what he did in Libya, in the film Lion of the Desert, in which Rod Steiger as Il Duce subjugates Anthony Quinn, in the title role. But not quite as civilized. More efficient, though.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 04:05:06 PM »
We do want to win, correct?

Popularity is pointless in Iraq, they all hate us anyway. Plus, over time atrocities can be whitewashed somewhat. Look at how Turkey challenges that the Armenian genocide even took place. Pinochet is a hero to Maggie Thatcher and her ilk. A bunch of Reaganites loved the "freedom fighters" in Central America and the slaughtered villages all the time.

Morality leads to too much confusion. If we want to subdue a population we have to look back in history to those who had success, and it has never been us (Vietnam?). Efficient pacification of ppulations took place in the Boer War with the British, in Congo with the Belgians, and yes by the Fascists in many areas.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 04:08:03 PM »
Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all. Peace is generosity. It is right and it is duty.

- Archbishop Oscar Romero

===============================================
Let us ask ourselves WWOD  (What Wouldl Oscar Do?)

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 04:24:41 PM »
Oscar would likely never have wanted a conflict at all.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 04:42:21 PM »
Oscar would likely never have wanted a conflict at all.
======================================================

I tend to agree with this.

But if we accept, as Domer says, that there is a conflict, what would Oscar have done to stop it?

I am not sure he would have liked the water rationing at all. Mostly, he was against Fascist pomp and strutting, as well as the killing.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 06:34:03 PM »
Great proposal.  Reminds me of Jonathan Swift.  I think it'll work and the Republicans will love it.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 08:09:55 PM »
That is extremely clever. I agree with Michael Tee also. I have already heard proposals that we need a more authoritarian and less democratic solution in Iraq. I am waiting to see what some of the other Saloon patrons think of your modest proposal.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 01:45:09 AM »
A no-nonsense measure or two might save some lives , including Iraqi lives.

From the history of the Roman Empire we can glean one of their favorite techniques , hostage taking.

Hostage taking is apparently not especially objectionable to our opponents , so we ought to examine the potential for it's usefullness to ourselves .

But we do not need to have hostages who are guilty of something or captured in combat , these are just ciminals or POWs and are expected to be kept in confinement . This is not much use as a hostage.

Rather, in th Roman Empire style we could take ,right from their mothers arms , the children of the opponents leadership, if new leadership arises ,we want those kids too.

But while the good behavior of the leaders  is ensured by our hostages there is no reason to treat them as prisoners or mistreat them , instead they should be treated in the best hospitality possible and given the best upbringing available until their maturity , upon which they should be returned to their original homes. Not to promise to do so or not to do so would make the hostage practically dead to their family , but in returning the hostage with  better nutrition and better education than he could have gotten from his homeland a fifth columnist is emplaced in high station .

This might work well with the other suggestions at the top of this thread , tho I note that none of them have been used yet , if  the wimpy and idealistic methods so far used serve as evidence ,one might think that we were not trying to establish an Empire.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 01:53:34 AM by Plane »

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 09:54:48 AM »
*sigh*

Foiled by my own quote and respect for human life.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster