Author Topic: Wall St  (Read 7761 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wall St
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 04:23:48 PM »
Clarity provided, thank you.  I amend my prior remark......Is it any wonder XO can't come up with even 1 "accomplishment" that the Dems can hang their hat on, with campaign commercials, and proclaim "4 more years gets you more of this"
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 05:48:20 PM »
<<Is it any wonder neither XO nor Tee can come up with even 1 "accomplishment" that the Dems can hang their hat on, with campaign commercials, and say "4 more years gets you this!!">>

Hey leave me outta this!  I'm first to admit that Obama is a disappointment and a failure, a liar and a hypocrite.  I don't give a shit what happens to him.

Mikey, how do you feel about Obama using the protesters to get reelected? And how do you feel about the government baling out Wall St when had they let the market do it's thing the bunch of them would have gone down in flames?

Doesn't your movement want more government involvement which is what happened with the TARP Bailouts?

Seems like you and the protesters have a very schizophrenic message.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 06:02:17 PM by Kramer »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 06:32:55 PM »
Obama has done a much better job than McCain would have done. Note that both wars are winding down and the nation has avoided any major 9-11 type attacks. I am happier with Medicare than with any of the medical plans that I paid three times more for with my employer, and I have not missed a single SS check.

I don't think that any of the GOP hopefuls is likely to make things better. None of them has a workable plan, and 999 is just a dumb gimmick.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 06:37:04 PM »
Obama has done a much better job than McCain would have done. Note that both wars are winding down and the nation has avoided any major 9-11 type attacks. I am happier with Medicare than with any of the medical plans that I paid three times more for with my employer, and I have not missed a single SS check.

I don't think that any of the GOP hopefuls is likely to make things better. None of them has a workable plan, and 999 is just a dumb gimmick.

Both wars are winding down?

Is this because Al Queda is exausted?

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 07:45:27 PM »

1. do you have a crystal ball that told you how bad McCain would be?
2. if you like Medicare then thank Bush.
3. as far as the GOP is concerned do you have a crystal ball that is telling you they will do a lousy job?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 11:54:06 PM »
<<Mikey, how do you feel about Obama using the protesters to get reelected?>>

Disgusted, like I am with everything else he does and all the things he doesn't do.  Obama really fooled everyone who wanted change.  He really burned his base, me included, even if I couldn't vote for him or contribute to the campaign.  I rooted for him all the way.  Really believed he was the agent of change.

I think the protestors are entering a really critical phase in their movement.  From what I've seen of the original bunch, they weren't fooled by either the Democrats or the GOP, and they correctly diagnosed the problem as being with the system itself.  As Obama moves to rope them into his camp, he will be the kiss of death to whatever was hopeful and original - - they will end up supporting the system by participating in it through Obama.  I hope and pray that they're smart enough and strong enough to avoid his embrace, but it will be very tough.

<< And how do you feel about the government baling out Wall St when had they let the market do it's thing the bunch of them would have gone down in flames? >>

That's above my pay grade - - I'm not an economist.  But I'll tell you my feelings about it, right or wrong.  First of all, I'm not sure that letting them all fail as they richly deserved wouldn't have caused a conflagration that would have damaged the economic interests of tens of millions of innocent Americans.  Maybe some of them really were "too big to fail," repulsive as that concept may be.  But from where I sat, I think Americans were stampeded into the bail-out by being presented with only TWO possible scenarios - - EITHER we let them fail and all hell breaks loose OR we bail them out and prevent some kind of unprecedented national collapse.  I saw no consideration of other possible alternatives, such as: we let them fail and the bail-out money that was previously ear-marked for them is instead put to work on plans to relieve the suffering of the innocent Americans who supposedly would have been thrown to the wolves had the miscreants not been bailed out.  IMHO, nobody paid any attention to exactly WHAT kind of hell would break loose if the bail-out didn't happen, who exactly would be hurt by it, and whether innocent Americans hurt by the collapse of the failed institutions couldn't have had the blow softened or avoided completely by programs set up with the funds ultimately handed over in the bail-out.  The American people were presented with only two stark options, when there could have been others.

<<Doesn't your movement want more government involvement which is what happened with the TARP Bailouts?>>

I have a problem with the term "government involvement" which could cover both the TARP bailouts and the increased regulation of the financial industry.   I think we're dealing with two different phenomena here and they can't BOTH be covered under the same word or phrase.  I think it's fair to say that the movement is opposed to the TARP or any other bail-out of incompetent or crooked enterprises, but at the same time is in favour of increased government regulation of the financial industry so that shit like the sub-prime mortgage bond fiasco cannot be allowed to happen again.

<<Seems like you and the protesters have a very schizophrenic message.>>

Not really.  You just failed to recognize that you were using the term "government involvement" to cover two very different issues.  The protestors are FOR government involvement in regulation of the financial industry but AGAINST government involvement in the bail-outs.  Apples and oranges.  Both are fruits but it's not schizophrenic to like apples and hate oranges.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2011, 05:30:07 AM »
<<Doesn't your movement want more government involvement which is what happened with the TARP Bailouts?>>

I have a problem with the term "government involvement" which could cover both the TARP bailouts and the increased regulation of the financial industry.   I think we're dealing with two different phenomena here and they can't BOTH be covered under the same word or phrase.  I think it's fair to say that the movement is opposed to the TARP or any other bail-out of incompetent or crooked enterprises, but at the same time is in favour of increased government regulation of the financial industry so that shit like the sub-prime mortgage bond fiasco cannot be allowed to happen again.

No, these things do belong in the same department. Where the government gives instruction  or command doesn't it take responsibility for the result?
         This isn't a case of being for apples and against oranges , it is more like being for apples and against apple trees.

Everybody likes jobs, everybody wants to use money once it is gathered together, so we gotta be against employers and financiers because we don't understand that connection?

I think that TARP was a natural follow on to the government involvement that helped cause the crash. Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac were quite popular before the crash because they lubricated the process of the poorer risk client getting a loan.

I see your complaint as likeing the heads and hating the tails , how diffrent is it really?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2011, 06:57:55 AM »
        << No, these things do belong in the same department. Where the government gives instruction  or command doesn't it take responsibility for the result?>>

If the government through its criminal code prohibits murder, is it then responsible for every murder that then occurs?  If its criminal code prohibits rape, is it then responsible for all rapes?

Your idea is one of the craziest I have heard lately.  Its logical flaw is that the government is the sole actor in our universe, or if not, that everyone just follows the law once it is proclaimed, so that all results of the law could only be the combined result of the government and any other actors  all acting together to carry out the enacted laws.  That is just ludicrous.

<< This isn't a case of being for apples and against oranges , it is more like being for apples and against apple trees.>>

For that theory to work, you'd have to convince me that government regulation of the financial industry will produce the kind of conduct that resulted, necessarily or not, in the bailout.  However, the governmental regulation of the financial industry DID NOT cause the financial melt-down that led to the bail-out.  The cause of the melt-down was the inherent greed and criminality of the financial system itself and Wall Street in particular, which could easily have been reined in by tighter government regulations strictly enforced.

<<  Everybody likes jobs, everybody wants to use money once it is gathered together, so we gotta be against employers and financiers because we don't understand that connection?  >>

No, the banking and financial systems did function in the past to gather money and lend it out to businesses, thereby helping to maintain relatively high levels of employment, but that was when both systems were tightly regulated to prevent the kind of criminal activity that led directly to the financial melt-down of 2008.  Once the regulations were weakened, the criminal activity naturally increased accordingly and in very short time led to the melt-down.

<<I think that TARP was a natural follow on to the government involvement that helped cause the crash. Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac were quite popular before the crash because they lubricated the process of the poorer risk client getting a loan.>>

That is probably the grossest over-simplification of the melt-down that I have ever seen, but it's a very common falsification in conservative circles.  There was nothing in the "lubricating" process that forced lenders to make loans to borrowers who had virtually no prospects of ever repaying the loan.  If lenders were forced to loosen restrictions on lending, leading to an increase in bad loans, that in itself could never have caused the melt-down.  Banks and lending institutions would have seen their losses gradually rise and perhaps at the extreme end of the spectrum, some of the smaller lenders would have gone under, which of course would have prompted a shit-storm of legislative efforts to reverse the "lubricating" efforts before more, and bigger, banks went under.

In fact, what happened was that unscrupulous brokers cobbled together mortgage loans to home-buyers who didn't have a hope in hell of ever repaying the loan, merely to earn a short-term commission, and the financial industry stepped in to immediately relieve the first lenders of the consequences of their loans by bundling the mortgages into new securities they had invented that inexplicably got triple-A ratings from all rating agencies and could then be re-sold to other buyers, including foreign banks.  NONE of this activity was remotely mandated by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac, all of it was criminal or would have been had there been closer governmental regulation of the financial and banking industry.   The problem was exacerbated exponentially when some of the producers of the bonds realized they could bet against them by insuring themselves against the default that they knew would ultimately arise, and procured this insurance from insurers such as AIG by the creation of new instruments known as credit default swaps, which enabled AIG and other insurers to avoid the governmental restrictions placed upon what they could and could not insure.  By creating credit default swaps, the insurance industry was able to insure without being caught by the regulations that were meant to stop the insurers from engaging in exactly this kind of risky activity.  The criminality of the rating agencies in looking the other way, not only for the purchasers of the mortgage bonds but also for the insurers against their default has never been adequately investigated.  Had the insurance industry been more tightly regulated, the fraudulent use of credit default swaps to avoid the regulations governing the issuance of policies would have been detected and prohibited before the whole house of cards got up off the ground.

The conservative myth that the melt-down was caused by government regulation is just insane bullshit that takes one government regulator - - Fanny and Freddy - -and their combined LOOSENING of restrictions as to who could qualify as a borrower - - and then misrepresents even the loosening of qualifying restrictions as somehow constituting MORE government "interference" with business; and then completely IGNORES all of the banking, financial and insurance industry criminality that then followed, so that it can present Fanny and Freddy and their supposed "interference" in the lending process as the sole cause of the crash.   

The real cause of the crash was greed across the board - - the greed of the mortgage brokers who signed up unqualified borrowers for a quick up-front commission; the greed of the lenders, who found they could package what was effectively shit with a triple-A rating and sell it as bonds to unsuspecting banks up-stream; the greed of the rating agencies who rated the shit bonds triple-A so as not to offend their patrons in the financial industry who were bundling and selling the shit for the original lenders and selling it to their own clients as triple-A; the greed of financial houses for packaging and selling what they knew to be shit and in some cases for selling it to their own clients; the greed of the insurance industry for insuring against default on a commodity that they knew was going to default, for a healthy premium and probably some major under-the-table payoffs; the greed of the law firms and accounting firms who greased all the wheels when they should have known they were only building a house of cards but didn't give a shit as long as their exorbitant fees were paid on time.

The utter bullshit that the whole crash was caused by a loosening of restrictions (painted as "more government regulation") by Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac is the new conservative mantra, everyone singing it is lying and knows it is lying, but it's used to keep the hicks, rubes and yokels who vote for the GOP to keep quiet as the GOP carries on its crusade for less and less government "interference" in business.  The Democrats, who as late as the time of Harry Truman, would have raised holy hell at the GOP and the financial industry, basically keep their heads down and their mouths shut when the anti-regulation bandwagon rolls into town, because they have been bought and paid for by the same criminals that the GOP has been serving since the Great Depression. 

Which is why the Occupy Wall Street! protestors correctly identify Wall Street and not the Democrats or the GOP as the real source of the problem - - they are going after the organ grinder and not the monkey.  Guys like you, plane, don't really know what's going on, so you drink the Kool-Aid and swallow the bullshit about regulations.  The difference between you and Occupy! is like night and day.  They just aren't buying the bullshit any more.

<< I see your complaint as likeing the heads and hating the tails , how diffrent is it really?>>

Oy, plane.  Read what I just wrote.  Wake up.  Stop drinking the Kool-Aid.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2011, 11:31:04 AM »
        << No, these things do belong in the same department. Where the government gives instruction  or command doesn't it take responsibility for the result?>>

If the government through its criminal code prohibits murder, is it then responsible for every murder that then occurs?  If its criminal code prohibits rape, is it then responsible for all rapes?

Talk about flawed logic...that attempted anaolgy requires a criminal endeavor from that of the Wall Street folk, Coporations, and Busnesses.  Pray tell, what is the Federal crime they have commited??  Here's a hint, making a profit, isn't a crime.

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2011, 12:18:03 PM »

Talk about flawed logic...that attempted anaolgy requires a criminal endeavor from that of the Wall Street folk, Coporations, and Busnesses.  Pray tell, what is the Federal crime they have commited??  Here's a hint, making a profit, isn't a crime.

At least Mikey is man enough to answer where as XO is a coward that hides behind name-calling and labels. Mike is a misguided critical thinker and XO has to have a script or shall I say Talking Points.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:36:49 PM by Kramer »

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
<<Talk about flawed logic...that attempted anaolgy requires a criminal endeavor from that of the Wall Street folk, Coporations, and Busnesses.  Pray tell, what is the Federal crime they have commited??  Here's a hint, making a profit, isn't a crime. >>

I'd like to talk about flawed logic, but I think that first I'll talk about short-sightedness.  And crime, and what makes certain acts criminal. 

Two days ago marked the 45th anniversary of the outlawing of LSD in the USA.  On October 15, 1966, anyone could legally drop acid in the US, and the next day, it had become a crime.  Legislative action makes and unmakes crimes.   That is an idea that should be kept in mind when discussing a legitimate question such as sirs' "What  Federal crimes were committed?"  (Making a profit, of course, has never been a crime in the USA and probably never will.  But if the profit is calculated on the basis of revenue from bank robbery minus cost of throwaway gun, ammo and getaway gas, you are going to have a profit that cannot be legitimized simply by the fact that it IS a profit.)

So there is a possible short answer to sirs' question, "What Federal crimes were committed?" but the answer is not known yet.  It is my understanding that Federal investigators are still unravelling the complex details of the incredibly complex transactions that occurred, trying to see if any Federal crimes were committed, and if so, whether there is enough evidence to justify going forward with criminal charges based on existing Federal laws as of the date of commission of the acts in question.  If any Federal laws were broken, we can only know the details in due course, and it is possible that there will never be enough evidence of such law-breaking to bring a case forward.  And if that's the case, also, we shall presumably know that too, in the fullness of time.

OOPS!  GOTTA GO AND WILL BE BACK ATCHA TO FINISH IN A BIT

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2011, 02:14:17 PM »
so in otherwords, your analogy is bogus, since there have been no crimes committed, no indictements, nothing that Wall Street or Corporate America has done to warrant the flawed notion of If the government through its criminal code prohibits murder, is it then responsible for every murder that then occurs?  If its criminal code prohibits rape, is it then responsible for all rapes?

There's been no raping.  And as someone apparently needs the reminder one more time, making a profit is not a crime

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2011, 02:46:48 PM »
And as someone apparently needs the reminder one more time, making a profit is not a crime

===================================
As Tee pointed out, making a profit can indeed be a crime. It can also be a sin.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2011, 03:07:40 PM »
<< Obama really fooled everyone who wanted change.  He really burned his base, me included, even if I couldn't vote for him or contribute to the campaign.  I rooted for him all the way.  Really believed he was the agent of change.>>

So there you have it folks. Obama has lost his base.

So Romney needs to remind remind remind  'normal' people that Obama is a radical leftist Marxist Socialist to win.

Unlike McCain Romney will have to hit Obama hard.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2011, 03:09:56 PM »
And as someone apparently needs the reminder one more time, making a profit is not a crime
===================================
As Tee pointed out, making a profit can indeed be a crime. It can also be a sin.

"Can" does NOT equal IS.  Simply making a profit is NOT a crime.

One can make being born with blonde hair a crime.  Just because someone hates something, someone else has, does not make it a crime for that something to be