Author Topic: Bad Weekend for Herman Cain  (Read 1413 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Bad Weekend for Herman Cain
« on: October 24, 2011, 04:07:01 PM »

By Neal Boortz

I was really feeling bad for Herman Cain over the weekend.  I love that guy.  I truly do.  And it was dismaying to see him step smack into a steaming, stinking pile of abortopolitics squeeze over the past few days.  You really never can get that stuff off your shoes, and you end up tracking it throughout your entire campaign.

I’ve been begging, though I knew it would do absolutely no good, for the anti-abortion zealots to just shut the hell up for once --- just for this critical election --- so that independent voters, especially women, wouldn’t run screaming from the GOP candidates in 2012.

So now Cain has been dragged into the arena of abortion politics.  And just where does he stand?  Well, on the one hand he thinks that abortion should be illegal.  (Same for gay marriage).  But he believes that ultimately it is the family’s choice; but if they chose to have an abortion they’ve committed a crime.  But on the other hand he would like to see a Constitutional Amendment banning abortion and same-sex marriage.

I put a few Tweets on the subject out there (@Talkmaster) Saturday night, and then spent the next 24 hours blocking every follower who responded with those “abortion is murder” comments and rantings about “the unborn.”  I don’t want to deal with those zealots on the air, and I’m not going to deal with them on Twitter either.  When it comes to Twitter followers, quality over quantity is the rule.  I did notice, though, some comments suggesting that I was “pro-abortion.”

Ok … so we’re going to set the record straight here .. the record as it applies to my attitudes on abortion (not that it really maters to anyone but me).  We’ll just use bullet points.

I am not pro-abortion.  I am pro-choice.  I do not want a government that is strong enough to pull out a gun, put that gun to the head of a pregnant woman, and then use that gun to force that woman to continue with a pregnancy she doesn’t want.

I believe that a viable life begins at the point that the fetus is able to survive outside of the womb without artificial life support.  If you don’t agree --- that’s fine. If you don’t ever want to listen to me again, that’s fine also.  You will have no problem at all finding a talk show host who will preach that “abortion is murder” nonsense throughout their entire show.   

Years of experience dealing with this issue have demonstrated that the vast majority of loudest, rudest and most adamant abortocentrists are MEN.  Could this be due to some control issues suffered by these men?  I have no desire whatsoever to listen to a man address a decision he will never have to make.

Abortion will always be legal in this country.  Deal with it.  The zealots will never succeed in making it illegal.  If they don’t like abortions my best advice to them is to not have one.

The ObamaMedia will do everything it can to drag GOP candidates into this morass.

People who are adamantly opposed to abortion are not going to vote for Democrats just because the Republican candidate is pro-choice.  True; they may decide not to vote at all --- but they aren’t going to go vote for the Democrat candidate.  They may have issues, but they haven’t slipped that far over the edge.

Independent voters – especially women – will run screaming like banshees from the Republican candidate if that candidate makes an issue of his anti-abortion feelings and even hints that abortion should be illegal.  Independent female voters have this odd felling that their womb is theirs, and theirs alone, to control.

The best answer a candidate can give on this issue is something like “I’m running for president, not governor.  This is a state issue.”

http://www.boortz.com/weblogs/nealz-nuze/2011/oct/24/bad-weekend-herman-cain/

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bad Weekend for Herman Cain
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 04:10:57 PM »
Is it possible Perry could make a comeback? I like his flat tax idea. And he has hired Bush's former manager Joe Albaugh to run his campaign.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 04:13:37 PM »
Someone needs to be the anyone but Romney candidate. Herman seems to be winging it, right now. He needs to regroup.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 04:14:07 PM »
Agreed
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 04:17:37 PM »
Is it possible Perry could make a comeback? I like his flat tax idea. And he has hired Bush's former manager Joe Albaugh to run his campaign.

Perry will have a hard time getting around the un-likeability factor.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 05:37:37 PM »
Perry is a sleazeball who will say anything. He is argumentative and not very bright, and he has neither the plan to get this country out of the current recession or to carry out such a plan.

I do not actually care one bit who cut Mitt Romney's stupid lawn, and I am sure that I am not the only one.

Cain has revealed that not only is he a fiscal crackpot who loots tax plane from video games, he also wants to prevent abortions and gay marriages with a constitutional amendment.  The amendment process is long and sure to be contentious, and our one attempt to legislate religious morality, the XVIII Amendment, is the only one that had to be repealed. So Cain is a crackpot on two fronts, and inexperienced at running a country, state or county. His one political campaign got 26.2% of the vote.

Santorum is a nobody and Bachmann is an idiot who cannot even manage her own campaign staff, let alone a country.

Paul is an honest crackpot, but a crackpot nonetheless.

Most sane people think Gingrich is a smartass. Plus, he is a sexual sleazeball whose latest marriage to a golddigger does not need to be played out in the White House.

Romney and Huntsman are the only remotely acceptable Republican alternatives.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 05:42:06 PM »
....per Xo.  And given that trackrecord of wrongness, its a safe bet that the far more fiscally conservative candidates are just as "acceptable", than the current occupant in the WH
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 06:34:58 PM »
Solving the budget crisis will NOT create private sector jobs. Not public sector ones, either.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 07:09:42 PM »
Solving the Budget Crisis WOULD substantially assist in creating Private Sector jobs.  More businesses will see some stability in the Government, less a "wet blanket effect of uncertainty" which currently saturates the current economic enviroment

Stability breeds confidence....confidence breeds opportunity to start making a better profit margain....goal of a better profit margian breeds an opening of company pocket books and expansion......opening of company pocket books and expansion breeds Private Sector jobs

Not an end all, as Obamination care and stability in the tax code need to be dealt with as well.  THEN, we'll start seeing some good sector jobs

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 09:47:48 PM »

By Neal Boortz

I believe that a viable life begins at the point that the fetus is able to survive outside of the womb without artificial life support.  If you don’t agree --- that’s fine.     

No ,No, Neal , this is regressive.

Already any human being that is living outside the woumb is a person under the law, even if in requirement of life support equipment.

Would you want to expand the unprotected class of person?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 09:57:41 PM »
Cain, Gingrich Set to Spar
By Robert Costa
Posted on October 24, 2011 2:36 PM

A group of tea-party activists in Texas will host a “modified Lincoln–Douglas debate” between Herman Cain and Newt Gingrich next month.

Bill O’Sullivan, the treasurer of Texas Tea Party Patriots, tells National Review Online that both candidates have confirmed their attendance at the forum, which will focus on fiscal issues.

O’Sullivan says the event, which will be held on November 5 at the Woodlands Resort near Houston, will also feature Rep. Steve King (R., Iowa) as an emcee.

In background conversations, both campaigns say they look forward to the discussion. A source close to Gingrich tells NRO that the former speaker will speak at length about his policy proposals and will, “in a friendly way,” illustrate his differences with Cain.

“We initially wanted a forum with all of the candidates,” O’Sullivan says. “But when we heard Gingrich say he wanted a more serious debate, like the Lincoln–Douglas debates, we wanted to do that, especially since watching the recent superficial debates has been frustrating.”

Organizing the event was relatively easy, he adds. “We had a relationship with Herman Cain. He spoke at our tea-party event six months ago. We contacted him, asking if he was interested in a Lincoln–Douglas debate on entitlements. Then we got in touch with Speaker Gingrich.”

“This debate is going to be dominated by the candidates going back and forth, in a respectful way,” O’Sullivan says. “It will be divided into parts, one for each major entitlement — Medicare, Social Security, and Medicaid — with each candidate detailing their arguments.”

No broadcast network has agreed to air the exchange but O’Sullivan is hopeful. “These two candidates have been the most interesting people to watch in the debates,” he says. “So having them together for a modified Lincoln–Douglas debate will be great; it’ll be a real opportunity for the conversation about entitlements to get serious.”

http://www.nationalreview.com/blogs/print/281122
This could help Gingrich and Cain and actually refocus the rest of the GOP field.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 10:11:36 PM »
http://www.nationalreview.com/blogs/print/281122
This could help Gingrich and Cain and actually refocus the rest of the GOP field.

Execelent !

Romney and Perry were reducing to sniping and whining, yet still they were taking the lions share of the availible time.

It might be possible for Newt and Herman to discuss an issue or two that really matter.

I would like to improve this even more , invite Obama and Biden.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 10:31:55 PM »
I think Obama and Biden are already booked on Wall Street.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 10:36:24 PM »

Well they are not likely to discuss anything of consequence there.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 10:38:14 PM »
Althouse linked a Buckley/Ron Paul Firing Line episode from ’88 today, wherein Buckley says to Paul (4:19):

Well, excuse me for contradicting you, but I ran for office having no intention of winning, but having very much the intention of co-opting the press, to pay attention to my points of view, since there was no dissimilarity between the points of view of the Republican running and the Democrat running. But I don’t consider that, uh, I don’t consider that I demeaned the enterprise by knowing perfectly well that I wasn’t going to win. But I think you have a feeling that uh, some superstition rather, binds you from telling what you know about this: that you’re not going to win but you’re going to occupy the attention of the . . .

Gingrich understands this. Cain sees the opportunity to earn gravitas.