Author Topic: It fianally happened , I disagree with Ann  (Read 589 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
It fianally happened , I disagree with Ann
« on: September 26, 2012, 07:40:42 AM »
http://www.anncoulter.com/

Yesterday while being interviewed Ann Coulter was asked whether immagrant rights were alike to civil rights.

In her reply she stated that civil rights were special to black people because we had a debt to them remaining from slavery.

I don't buy into the "reparations" idea, it was impractical in 1867 and has not become more practical since, there is a case to make that real money was owed and never paid , but those who owed it could not have paid it and are now dead, those to whom it was owed coped as best they could and have since all died. This debt is not mitigated by making civil rights for their decendants superior to civil rights for anyone elese.

Nor should the civil rights of recent immagrants or illeagal immagrants be considered a special case to be made inferior to anyone eleses , whereas they are demonstrably human they should be reguarded so in the law neither more nor less.

The rights of citizenship come with the responsibility of citizenship , but people too young to vote should expect decent treatment from the law and people too much a citizen of somewhere elese to vote should too.

Our country has a historical period in which the civil rights of male , white, property owners were actually in law protected and superior to others, but this period is past and doesn't need to be revived for each and all others to have a turn on the top. Civil rights are best as a standard set that are universally applied removed only with due process individually excepting the case of war.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: It fianally happened , I disagree with Ann
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 01:17:06 PM »
Civil rights are rights that ALL American citizens should enjoy, Black or White, born here or elsewhere.

Reparations would have been a viable point in 1865, since the reparations were due the ex-slaves for their unpaid servitude. It might have made sense to give Black people who were born before 1955 TWO votes in those states in which they were denied the vote. It would make sense, but I do not see it happening.

After the Civil War, thousands of ex-slaves starved, were lynched, and murdered.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."