Author Topic: Good Stuff  (Read 3564 times)

BSB

Good Stuff
« on: November 26, 2012, 11:52:47 PM »
Woolpower is really good stuff for layering. I know we have a lot of rednecks in here who live in places that never get very cold but some might find a need for these products.

I've been in Maine the past several days and took this vest with me. Worked well.

http://www.skweezer.com/s.aspx/-/www~alexoutdoors~com/html/400_gram_vest-_full_zipper~html

BSB

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Good Stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 12:15:34 AM »
Very nice
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 12:26:09 AM »
I am glad you are not using "redneck " in any pejoritive sense.

http://www.joyorganic.com/

http://www.greenvitals.net/fashionnet/tag/organic-cotton

https://www.firehousemedical.com/store3/safety-products/gloves/cold-weather.html

Cotton is best for next to the skin, nothing is better for hot weather, and it helps keep warm in the cold too.

On the other hand
http://www.inflatablekayakworld.com/gear-accessories/clothing-footwear/how-to-dress-for-cold-weather-paddling/
Tips for Keeping Warm while Cold Weather Paddling

Tips # 1 – Do not wear cotton!
This is the most important tip to know while kayaking in the cold. I have made this mistake before and trust me it is a bad mistake. Cotton will soak up the water and hold it against your skin. If the water is cold and the wind is even colder you are going to freeze.

If you are going to get soaked , wool has advantages.

BSB

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 03:10:02 AM »
No one with a brain bigger than a pea would wear cotton next to their skin for anything other then sitting in a chair and reading a book. It gets wet, and stays wet when things cool down, or you take a break.  It ain't too bright to hang around in wet clothes. 

BSB

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 10:54:24 AM »
No one with a brain bigger than a pea would wear cotton next to their skin for anything other then sitting in a chair and reading a book. It gets wet, and stays wet when things cool down, or you take a break.  It ain't too bright to hang around in wet clothes. 

BSB

No, when the tempreture is above 90 that is exactly what you want.

When it is freezing wet cotton is not the best, then I would not only go for wool, I would get out of New England.

BSB

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 12:28:16 PM »
See if can get this through that dumbshit redneck head of yours. NO ONE USES COTTON ANYMORE.

BSB

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 12:44:36 PM »
this reminds me of a wise man telling someone once:

lower educated people say "the music is crap" when they don't like the music,
the more educated person would say "i don't like that music".

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

BSB

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 01:01:18 PM »
Today's technical sportswear is designed to be breathable, lightweight and to allow sweat to quickly evaporate off the skin during exercise. Sports clothing with cooling features can be made of synthetic fibers, such as polypropylene, or natural fibers like wool. The design of sports clothing, including the fit, weave and color, also impact the ability of the clothing material to keep you cool during workouts.

Synthetic Materials
Technical fabrics used for sports clothing materials often contain various synthetic fibers. Some synthetic fibers commonly used in sports clothing that's specially designed to keep you cool during exercise include polypropylene, Lycra, Spandex, nylon and polyester. Often, technical fabrics used in sports clothing contain a blend of various synthetic fibers. Synthetic sports fabrics are typically engineered to be lightweight, breathable and moisture-wicking. Moisture-wicking fabrics allow sweat to quickly evaporate through your clothing, which assists your body's natural cooling process.

Natural Fabrics
Natural fibers such as cotton are less commonly used in today's sportswear, as cotton absorbs sweat, which makes the clothing heavier and impairs ventilation once the fabric is wet. However, since the mid-1990s, some sportswear manufacturers began producing performance clothing from another natural fiber -- wool. New technologies have produced "smart" wool that is lighter and less scratchy than traditional wool. Wool is a naturally hydrophobic that promotes cooling ventilation during your workouts as water vapor from sweat is transmitted through the fabric into the air. This makes wool an ideal fabric for garments such as running socks, which can quickly become drenched in sweat if made of less-breathable materials.

Other Sports Clothing Characteristics
The type of fibers used in sportswear are not the only factor that impact whether the material helps keep you cool while working out. For example, the material's weave also affects its breath-ability and, as a result, its ability to keep you cool. Furthermore, clothing made of dark-colored materials absorbs heat from the sun, which can raise your body temperature during exercise. The fit of the clothing is also important, with looser-fitting clothes providing better ventilation for body heat and sweat than tight clothes. Some sportswear materials are also specially designed to provide extra ventilation at the body's "heat zones" such as the underarms.

Staying Cool During Exercise
While wearing the right clothing can help keep you cool while exercising, you can also take other measures to prevent overheating during workouts. Most significantly, drinking plenty of cool water before, during and after exercise can help regulate your temperature and replace fluids lost through sweat. It is especially important to drink a lot of fluids when exercising in hot weather. Avoiding midday sun and instead exercising in the morning or evening may also help keep you from getting too hot during physical activity. Lastly, when exercising outdoors, always wear sunscreen, as a sunburn reduces your body's ability to cool itself.

http://www.skweezer.com/s.aspx/-/www~livestrong~com/article/398572-which-sport-clothing-material-helps-you-stay-cooler/

This goes for hikers, backpackers, professional soldiers, etc., etc. You just never listen Plane, you never have.

BSB

BSB

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 01:06:26 PM »
Cowboy fan, it has nothing to do with liking or disliking. I like cotton. I like the feeling in hot weather of the wet cotton against your skin. BUT, that is not the way to keep yourself going in hot weather when doing something strenuous. As time goes on humans learn. Rednecks and Cowboy fans don't.

BSB

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 02:11:24 PM »
As time goes on humans learn. Rednecks and Cowboy fans don't.

I guess I am neither a Redneck nor a Cowboy Fan, because i have learned to not get involved in activities where wool would be a better choice than cotton.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 02:39:35 PM »
NO ONE USES COTTON ANYMORE.

================================
Cotton is available everywhere. It is not suitable everywhere in all climates and conditions, but nothing is.  I prefer cotton and cotton blends for warn weather, but I agree that it would besily to wear cotton while kayaking.

Linen wrinkles, silk is not so durable, some synthetics make me feel horrible. Wool is great for socks, but it can be itchy. Alpaca is ideal, but there are not so many alpacas available Cashmere is very nice, but expensive.

The ancient Hebrew ban on mixing fibers seems really dumb.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BSB

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 05:10:04 PM »
I thought people would get it automatically. I'm talking about use during intensive exercise. Hiking, backpacking, running, hard walking, etc., etc. Things where if you don't treat your body correctly you can pay a price. I'm not talking about mowing your lawn where you can step inside get a glass of water, towel down if you like, change your Shirt, and so forth.

Wool has changed. If you read anything from that site it goes into how their against the body 200 gram layering is set up not to uncomfortable against the skin. Get with the program people. 

Jesus, is there any point in posting in here at all?

BSB

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 06:59:27 PM »
Wool has its values.

Slurring members of this forum, probably not.

BSB

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 07:19:10 PM »
Well, BT, you say to me slurring has no value, but who is slurring who?

We all have our thing that we know about. Each of us has something to offer. A gift to give. As is well known in here I was a professional soldier. I spent years both in training and for real backpacking heavy loads in extreme conditions, under extreme duress. I have a tremendous amount of experience in the field. I learned what to wear, when to wear it, how to wear it, etc. Then, upon return from those experiences, with less to operate with than most, I continued. To this day I still hike in extreme conditions. So, why not except what I have to offer? Others in here have specific knowledge. If they present it, why try and prove them wrong without first thinking about what they're presenting, with an eye to the fact that they are studied in the subject?

BSB     

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 07:41:56 PM »
As i said wool has its values. Thank you for updating us on the advances in the wool apparel industry.