Author Topic: Obama's Feckless Leadership  (Read 28583 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Obama's Feckless Leadership
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2013, 07:14:09 PM »
I concur with the uncomfortability.  At least the infringement is on a specific sub group, and not the populace on whole, but I share the concern on some 3rd party determinant of mental stability.  So, my question still needs a guide......how can we best identify the mentally damaged, pathologically inclined folks, as to deny them, and them alone , from accessing anything dangerous, be it firearms, axes, swords, hammers, power tools, cars? 

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2013, 07:21:29 PM »
You restrict the right after all avenues of due process has been followed. IE a judge removes that right.

You certainly don't violate HIPAA with some all purpose database.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2013, 08:27:34 PM »
That's a good starting point.  What can Xo add to it?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2013, 08:47:11 PM »
What do you add or take away from that starting point?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2013, 09:08:25 PM »
I would like to teach gun maintenience , marksmanship and responsibile gun use in school.

I would even make it difficult to opt out for objectors.

I don't expect this to happen , but it is what I would like.

If most of us had basic knoledge of guns , we would be able to discuss the subject much more intelligently, and proposals for measures that woon't work would become more rare. Constantly I see things that are glareingly ignorant because so many people know the subject so poorly.

Perhaps the government should sponsor PSAs that teach basics of gun safety, responsibility and marksmanship.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2013, 10:13:41 PM »
This would be far less useful than a course in how to use and maintain power tools. I know how to shoot a gun: I read the manual for my Daisy BB Gun many times. It was written by Red Ryder himself, with the help of Little Beaver.I know exactly how to avoid putting someone's eye out.

I once lived in a tiny town so boring and dull that for excitement the band teacher and I went to the town dump and shot rats.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2013, 10:49:59 PM »
This would be far less useful than a course in how to use and maintain power tools.

It is the same thing.

If you are going to own something that has the potential to cause serious harm to yourself or others , knowing the basic safety precautions is a good idea.

I feel dismay that many highschools no longer require drivers education.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2013, 11:20:48 PM »
I think states GA. require(s) it for learners permits. Schools may not provide it any more.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2013, 11:32:07 PM »
I think states GA. require(s) it for learners permits. Schools may not provide it any more.

It is just one of those things that is beneficial for practicly everyone to know.

I can tho recall an instance when ignorance was very beneficial.

When Squeeky Fromme tried to shoot President Ford , she didn't know enough about her wepon to operate it to deadly effect.

That once , ignorance was a very good thing, but it doesn't prove as a general principal.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2013, 11:54:38 PM »
Incompetence in doing the wrong thing is always a blessing.

Most auto insurance companies give a discount to students that have completed a Drivers Ed course. That was a useful incentive when I was in HS and I think it still is.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2013, 12:17:47 AM »
It would be nice if getaway drivers didn't know how to start their cars, but this seems to be a rare sort of beneficial ignorance.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2013, 02:53:58 AM »

I acknowledge a need to work, in some fashion, to better identify folks that potentially are dangerous.....dangerous to a point they may be inclined to want to hurt/kill in some way.  It has to be structured with specific parameters, not just some "hunch" by some Doctor (and don't even get me started on the asinine executive order that medical doctors and psychologists need to start acting for the state, if they suspect something, as there are already provisions in existing law that allow for physicians to contact authorities if they're aware that there patient a distinct danger to himself or others)

So where can we go with that?  Or more so how?

Speaking of which......couldn't help but notice the corner Xo boxed himself into, that he not-so-surprisingly, hasn't been able to extricate himself from.......

If the gun is registered and used in a crime,..

Meaning the crime has been committed, ergo it fails at preventing the act to begin with, and fails to prevent the psychotic from killing the person they just killed in the crime

The idea here is to help prevent these crimes.  Is that not your goal??  So now that we've dispensed with how registering does pretty much squat in determining responsible vs not, how can we best identify the mentally damaged, pathologically inclined folks, as to deny them, and them alone , from accessing anything dangerous, be it firearms, axes, swords, hammers, power tools, cars?

The lack of an answer tends to give me the impression he has no interest in trying to prevent these tragedies, near as much as he wants to disarm his so called gun owning "gun nuts".  At least until they're armed with only single shot muskets.  And even those will likely need to be registered

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2013, 03:20:44 AM »

I acknowledge a need to work, in some fashion, to better identify folks that potentially are dangerous.....

This is probly right , but anything that can be effective needs to be built with brakes.

IN the Soviet Union people who couldn't see the superiority of the Communist philosophy were diagnosed as mentally defective and locked up .

We do want to sift out dangerous people , but it would be tragic to deny them rights for being nonstandard.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2013, 10:22:22 AM »
There is no real way to arrest someone who is suicidal before he commits a crime unless it is known that he is suicidal. Not a one of the 9-11 hijackers could be brought to justice, but notice how many of their pals are still locked up in Guantanamo. Maybe we should turn them use and they could move in next to sirs, who is always packing heat and fearless. Might as well arm them as well.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2013, 11:33:58 AM »
Maybe we should turn them use and they could move in next to sirs, who is always packing heat and fearless. Might as well arm them as well.

You're doing a fine job of not debating the issue.  Why not take a stab at trying what this forum is designed to do??

Why would we let criminals/terrorists out?
Why would we arm them?
How does registering a weapon identify a criminal and deny them access to a firearm?
How can we best identify the mentally damaged, pathologically inclined folks, as to deny them, and them alone , from accessing anything dangerous, be it firearms, axes, swords, hammers, power tools, cars?