Author Topic: Softly stabbed snails sing with gypsobelum love.  (Read 891 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Softly stabbed snails sing with gypsobelum love.
« on: January 19, 2013, 12:14:23 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_dart

Courting Helix aspersa snails in Ireland, the one on the right has a fired love dart embedded in its body.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Softly stabbed snails sing with gypsobelum love.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 10:32:53 AM »
I find this rather amusing in a weird sort of way.  I admit that this aspect of mollusk courtship was unknown to me.

My French girlfriend, Bernadette, told me of going on a snail hunt with an aged neighbor lady before some holiday when she was seven years old. They collected dozens of snails, and she was entrusted with keeping them in a bucket. She played with the snails and forgot to put the lid on the bucket. By morning, all the snails had escaped and slithered away. She was punished with a spanking and sent to bed without any supper.

Imagine how many interesting customs might have arisen had mammals evolved with a need to fire love darts. Darts from edible and predatory beasts would be collected and used as ornaments, and perhaps human love darts would be venerated, obscene, or both.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 10:29:29 PM »
Perhaps we had ancestors observe this long ago.

http://molluscs.at/gastropoda/index.html?/gastropoda/morphology/love_dart.html
The Canadian scientist Dr. Ronald Chase assumes that the ancient legend of Cupid's (or Eros in the Greek mythology) love darts can be retraced to observations of snails' mating plays.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 11:27:29 AM »
I find the fact that snails and other critters are hermaphroditic to be amusing, since they are obviously God's creatures and it is therefore God's doing that there are bisexual creatures as well as those that are by nature aggressively promiscuous, such as binabos and chimps.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 02:58:51 PM »
I find the fact that snails and other critters are hermaphroditic to be amusing, since they are obviously God's creatures and it is therefore God's doing that there are bisexual creatures as well as those that are by nature aggressively promiscuous, such as binabos and chimps.

Gods will be done!

Is it equally obvious that humans were not built as hermaphroditicly?