Author Topic: Sarah, Ignorance is Bliss, Palin  (Read 2711 times)

BSB

Re: Sarah, Ignorance is Bliss, Palin
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 11:40:59 PM »
Having had the opportunity to see a truly outstanding officer in the heat of battle there is one thing they need to be above all else. A warrior.

BSB

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 11:53:35 PM »
It is diffrent in the Navy, but perhaps that warrior nature would still be important.

I got aimed at by an enemy once , but I never learned what my reaction to real combat condition would be.

That is just good luck , I couldn't have planned worse nor come out better.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 12:04:24 AM »
You can always tell when the gun barrel is empty     :-\

Like Joe Biden?......lol

Indeed     ;)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BSB

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 12:10:39 AM »
Plane, my regard for my former commanding officer is so high I'm going to do something I never do. I'm going to tell a war story.

We got hit, and hit badly, one afternoon about 4 or 5 o'clock. I was only about 10 meters from my CO when they opened up. He got on the radio immediately to get support on the way. While he was on the radio an enemy soldier immerged from the bush about 15 to 20 meters from us. My CO put down the headset to the radio, pulled a knife he had in his boot, charged the enemy soldier, put his knife to his throat, disarmed him, brought him back to where the headset was, another soldier took the captive, my CO got back on the radio.

Now that's a warrior.

BSB

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 12:38:15 AM »
Wow.

That is a good story.

Why did he want to do that?

BSB

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 12:54:21 AM »
He snatched him for future intelligence purposes right in the middle of a firefight.

BTW, you know what he does now? He's a meditation teacher in Calf. He lives alone with a cat. This is after spending his life working in the shadows for Special Operations.

BSB

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 01:14:47 AM »
That is extraordinary.

I realise that only a few people can be so cool under high stress.

Is this learnable?

BSB

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 02:47:12 AM »
"Is this learnable?"

I don't see how. I've had that "video" of him doing that in my mind for over 40 years but I've never broken it down purposely to try and see where his head was at. I know where some of the motivation came from. Several of our own were already dead at that point. He was the leader.  That'll get you mad. Particularly if you're as a good a leader as he was. Anger is a powerful motivator.  Then to, as the leader, he had the bigger picture in mind.  The rest of us are just trying to get through the battle but he has to see things through a larger frame. Past, present, and future were in play for him. But sill, the way he did it, the fact that he did it, he just has more then most of us.

Six to eight months after I was wounded and left Vietnam he started operating deep in Laos. He and just one other guy. Above top secret. Completely illegal. Without the knowledge, and therefore permission, of the US Ambassador to Laos. The need to know probably only being the Joint Chiefs. Very few ever operate at that level.   

BSB 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 04:18:36 AM by BSB »

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 02:56:52 AM »
Plane, my regard for my former commanding officer is so high I'm going to do something I never do. I'm going to tell a war story.

We got hit, and hit badly, one afternoon about 4 or 5 o'clock. I was only about 10 meters from my CO when they opened up. He got on the radio immediately to get support on the way. While he was on the radio an enemy soldier immerged from the bush about 15 to 20 meters from us. My CO put down the headset to the radio, pulled a knife he had in his boot, charged the enemy soldier, put his knife to his throat, disarmed him, brought him back to where the headset was, another soldier took the captive, my CO got back on the radio.

Now that's a warrior.

BSB

Hoooraaaa.........thanks for sharing B     8)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 10:33:31 AM »
"Just saying, never underestimate the enemy"

You can't underestimate the right nor how dumb it is. And from The looks of this forum I'd say the same goes for you BT.

BSB

How long shall i reserve your room for you this visit?

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 10:39:52 AM »
How long shall i reserve your room for you this visit?

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987