Author Topic: NFL Players Association Turns to Blue State for Help  (Read 671 times)

BSB

NFL Players Association Turns to Blue State for Help
« on: January 30, 2013, 03:21:43 PM »
HMS partners with NFL Players Association
$100M grant funds 10-year initiative aimed at full range of health risks

By David Cameron

Harvard Medical School Communications

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Harvard Medical School has been awarded a $100 million grant from the National Football League Players Association to create a 10-year initiative for the study of injuries. “Our goal is to transform the health of these athletes,” said Lee Nadler, HMS dean for clinical and translational research.

The National Football League Players Association (NFLPA) has awarded Harvard Medical School a $100 million grant to create a transformative 10-year initiative — Harvard Integrated Program to Protect and Improve the Health of NFLPA Members. The program will marshal the intellectual, scientific, and medical expertise throughout Harvard University to discover new approaches to diagnosing, treating, and preventing injuries and illnesses in both active and retired players.

“We are honored to work with the NFLPA to address the health challenges faced by NFL players and so many of America’s athletes,” said Jeffrey S. Flier, dean of the Faculty of Medicine at Harvard University. “We will harness the vast expertise of Harvard Medical School, its world-class affiliated hospitals, and Harvard University’s 10 Schools to ensure that we make a meaningful difference in the lives of these players through advances in medicine, science, and technology. We are committed to going beyond our walls. We will reach out to other institutions when necessary, in order to access the resources needed to solve the most pressing medical issues identified by the NFLPA.”

“Our goal is to transform the health of these athletes,” said Lee Nadler, HMS dean for clinical and translational research, .........

http://www.skweezer.com/s.aspx/-/news~harvard~edu/gazette/story/2013/01/nflpa_hms_initiativ/

BSB

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NFL Players Association Turns to Blue State for Help
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 04:02:00 PM »
Football is probably too dangerous to play without major changes. The average NFL pro lives about 15 years fewer than the average non football playing American.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BSB

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 05:23:56 PM »
"Football is probably too dangerous to play without major changes. The average NFL pro lives about 15 years fewer than the average non football playing American"

The NFL has made changes particularly regarding hits on a "defenseless" receiver. That's a receiver just after he has caught the ball and can't defend himself. Shots to the head of just about anyone are being called now also. 

As for the life span of an ex NFL player I think there's closer to a 20 or 25 year disparity vs the average non ex NFL male.

BSB

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 07:12:02 PM »
My uncle got a scholarship to play football at Marysville State, wrecked his knee in scrimmage before playing a single game, and limped for the rest of his life.

I haven't enjoyed watching football since HS, since I find it hard to care about who wins when I don't know any of the players.

Soccer is safer, better exercise, faster and requires no major equipment. On the other hand, one can play at curling even as an old fart.

BSB

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 11:50:00 PM »
Regarding your uncle. Better a limp then a scrambled brain.

BTW, soccer is dangerous to with all the heading of the ball. I think you got the right idea with curling.

BSB

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 12:04:54 AM »
I suppose that a study must have been done about soccer vs football.

Curling is clearly safer than either.