Author Topic: “Shipping beats perfection”  (Read 1125 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
“Shipping beats perfection”
« on: December 19, 2014, 07:31:47 PM »
http://life.khanacademy.org/tagged/kamens

When writing code, sloppy hurts.

Using an extra unneeded step in a subroutine can make the whole process slow even if slight the problem will be multiplied by the iterations.

Missing symbols , unreal logic etc. can make bugs that are intermittent or fatal, but is perfection a good goal?

Your customer isn't able to wait forever, a complex of subroutines can interact in enormously complex ways   debugging has a real potential for going on forever.

So at some point you gotta declare good enough and ship the product.

At Kahn Academy they are making a big teaching machine, the customer is millions of subscribers. Every error is experienced by each.

But you gotta ship the product , they can't wait for perfection, striving for good enough is constant and troubleshooting never ends.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: “Shipping beats perfection”
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 08:53:03 PM »
I have that attitude with life in general . when I worked in a law firm I give two choices to the partners perfection with no deadline when it`s finished or fast and dirty within an hour. they always pick fast and dirty.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: “Shipping beats perfection”
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 11:46:08 PM »
There are very few things where perfection is demonstrably possible. Bowling for example. 300 is always a perfect game.
A perfect score in golf would be an 18.  There are many Koreans who believe that Kim Il Sung once achieved this.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."