Author Topic: These didn't show up on X's radar for some reason  (Read 1243 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
These didn't show up on X's radar for some reason
« on: August 03, 2015, 09:44:23 PM »

Manning: Sarah Lee Circle Bear Died While in Police Custody; Family Seeks Justice

Sarah Sunshine Manning
7/28/15

The death of Sandra Bland, an African American woman who died in a jail cell on July 13 , has the nation abuzz about the ongoing saga of police brutality against people of color, and this time, it is becoming even more apparent just how poorly women of color are treated.

But a lesser known story regarding a beautiful young Lakota woman is just as worthy of our attention. On July 6, 24-year-old Sarah Lee Circle Bear of Clairmont, South Dakota, was found unconscious in a holding cell in Brown County Jail in Aberdeen. Circle Bear was jailed on a bond violation.

Witnesses stated that before being transferred to a holding cell, Circle Bear pleaded to jailers that she was in excruciating pain. Jail staff allegedly responded by dismissing her cries for help, telling her to “knock it off,” and “quit faking.” Witnesses say that inmates cried out for the jail staff to help Circle Bear, to which they eventually responded by picking her up off of the floor, dragging her out of the cell, and transferring her to a holding cell. Circle Bear was later found unresponsive in the holding cell.

I recently learned about Sarah Lee Circle Bear while attending a family ceremonial gathering. A relative set out a memorial chair for Sarah, a tradition of the Dakota and Lakota people. Sarah’s story was shared, and the circle prayed for her and her family for four days. In that time, we all connected with Sarah as a relative. She is one of us. She had life. She was young, beautiful, and she had a future. Sarah was also a mother. Two precious sons, age one and two, are now without their mom.

The family of Sarah Lee Circle Bear continues to grieve, and meanwhile seek justice for their beloved daughter. They are presently looking into different options for lawyers, and fear that without the right lawyer they may miss an opportunity for justice for Sarah.

While the family and loved ones await the results of a toxicology report, the fact remains that Sarah Lee Circle Bear, a beautiful young woman worthy of life, appears to have been blatantly neglected and treated cruelly by the jail staff while in their care.

When any person is taken into custody and under the care of law enforcement, it is their right to receive appropriate medical attention and just treatment. This does not appear to be the case with Sarah Lee Circle Bear, and in the state of South Dakota where Native Americans are the largest minority and hate crimes are reported at high levels, it is time to demand a thorough investigation into her neglect and her death. It is time to demand better treatment of Native women, and justice for Sarah.

Sarah Sunshine Manning (Shoshone-Paiute, Chippewa-Cree) is a mother, educator, activist, and an advocate for youth.

Read more at http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2015/07/28/manning-sarah-lee-circle-bear-died-while-police-custody-family-seeks-justice-161204

Here Is What We Know About the Death of Choctaw Medicine Man Rexdale W. Henry
Sheena Louise Roetman
7/28/15

Editor's Note: Indian Country Today is continuing to pursue the facts in the death of Rexdale W. Henry, a 53-year-old Choctaw medicine man and activist who was found dead in his jail cell in Philadelphia, Miss., on the morning of July 14. Stay tuned for more reports:

Henry was arrested for failing to pay a minor traffic citation.

Henry was arrested on July 9 and held in Neshoba County Jail until his death.

According to the Jackson Free Press, he was last seen alive around 9:30 a.m. Correction officers at the facility found his body at 10 a.m.

Following funeral services on July 19 on the Bogue Chitto Reservation, Henry's body was flown to Florida for an independent autopsy funded by anonymous donors.

The Mississippi Crime Laboratory in Jackson is conducting an autopsy, and the Mississippi Bureau of Investigations is reportedly looking into the matter.

Henry was running as a tribal council candidate for the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians prior to his arrest and served as a stickball coach in his community.

The Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians has not released a statement on the death of Henry.

Last November, another inmate in Neshoba County jail died mysteriously in his cell – Michael MdCougle, 29, was found dead on the morning of November 2, 2014 after being arrested at 11 p.m. the night before when police responded to a burglary report. The autopsy reported a head injury and the presence of drugs.

Read more at http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2015/07/28/here-what-we-know-about-death-choctaw-medicine-man-rexdale-w-henry-161205

Cellmate Is Suspect in Death of Choctaw Man, Police Say; Choctaw Issue Statement
Simon Moya-Smith
7/31/15

Authorities in Philadelphia, Mississippi, have named a suspect in the suspicious death of Native American activist and medicine man Rexdale Henry.

Justyn Schlegel, 34, was in the Neshoba County Jail cell with Henry when police found him dead, Sheriff Tommy Waddell said, according to WAPT News. Schlegel is now being charged with Henry’s murder.

Police arrested Henry on July 9 for failing to pay a minor traffic citation. According to reports, Henry was last seen alive at 9:30 a.m. on July 14, but by 10 a.m. he was deceased.

Henry was a member of the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians and was recently a candidate for tribal council. The tribe said in a statement released Friday that they are mourning the loss of Henry and are working with authorities to reveal what occurred leading up to his death.

“I, along with the entire tribal community, am saddened by the loss of Mr. Henry. I am committed to working with authorities to see justice served in this case,” Tribal Chief Phyliss Anderson said in a statement. “Please continue to keep the Henry family in your thoughts and prayers.”

The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation is reportedly looking into the crime. Anonymous donors paid to have Henry’s body flown to Florida for an independent autopsy.

The suspicious death of Henry is the latest in several cases like his that have recently sparked national attention. On July 13 – one day before Henry’s death – Sandra Bland, an African American woman, was found hanging in a Waller County, Texas, jail cell. Medical examiners ruled her death a suicide, but Bland’s family argued that she would not have killed herself given all she had to live for.

Less than a week before Bland’s death, a Lakota mother of two, Sarah Lee Circle Bear, was found unconscious on July 6 in a jail cell in Aberdeen, South Dakota. Circle Bear was later taken to a hospital where she died.

Witnesses said Circle Bear was suffering excruciating pain and heard her pleas for help. The jailers allegedly told her to “knock it off” and “quit faking.”

Read more at http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2015/07/31/cellmate-suspect-death-choctaw-man-police-say-choctaw-issue-statement-161256

I guess they weren't dark skinned enough to make the national news, or qualify for liberal outrage.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: These didn't show up on X's radar for some reason
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 10:07:41 PM »
    Can this be improved with education?

Things of this sort happen a lot to diabetics.

In the throes of a serious blood sugar problem  a person can look and act and even smell like a drunk that needs to sleep it off.

I witnessed this once , but not with police , but with emergency room personnel.

I came to the emergency room an hour after my friend who had passed out, and I found that he was getting no treatment at all.

At my insistence he was tested for blood glucose and it was discovered that he was very low, but the emergency room was not prepared with a candy bar or a cola, all they could give was a prescription brick of candy.

I was there because his girlfriend knew from his voice on the phone that he was in trouble , she called the ambulance from across state lines , and called me to check up .

Since then I have learned a lot about diabetes, and how dangerous it is for a person who is unconscious or delirious to be ignored.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: These didn't show up on X's radar for some reason
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 10:30:38 AM »
Stuff like this happens all the time. Indians get treated even worse in some places than Blacks.
I was unaware that it was my duty to report every instance of police abuse. I renounce the responsibility, if indeed I ever had it.

I am all for ending police abuse.
Thanks largely to ubiquitous cameras, incidents that previously were routine are now reported. There is obviously more attention paid to the problem.

Also, this country has recently had a war in which our soldiers were ordered to bash down the doors of suspects in the middle of the night and drag them kicking and screaming off to jail for interrogation. Off course, they did not understand the people they were dragging off or their families, and lots of mistakes were made. Some Iraqis and Afghans used out troops to get rid of enemies and creditors. Now those soldiers have come home and are given preference in hiring as police.

So perhaps we are seeing more violent Gestapo-like behavior among the cops. 
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."