Author Topic: SATW  (Read 5056 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: SATW
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2015, 06:59:49 PM »
The people who bought at those guns recently have not yet died, releasing those guns to the world. The drop in crime is because birth control in the 1960'sd and 1970's prevented the birth of unwanted children, who tend to add to the criminal caste, and since they were not born, their children were also not born.  I am pretty sure that the rate would have dropped EVEN MORE had not guns become an obsession of a particular segment of the population.

This is a really good try.

I admire such an elegant defense built of such poor raw materiel.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2015, 10:18:04 PM »
Guns are immortal if they are cared for. They have no say in determining who gets to play with them after their previous owner dies.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2015, 11:15:18 PM »
ok....I'll bite....and I'd love H's input on this....let's propose a law that when a person passes away, any firearms he legally owns, gets automatically transferred to the trustee, or next of kin, or POA, or designated person(s) in a will.  And if for whatever reason that person is not lawfully allowed to own a firearm, then the weapon must sold to a dealer or another person legally able to own a firearm.  And there'd be a time frame for this to occur.  Let's say 9months after the person's date of death

Would such a law suffice your concern, Professor?  It's not "out there" waiting to be picked up by some homeless person or homicidal maniac

----------------------------------------

And when do we get to see the grand unveiling of how registration prevents gang members & homicidal maniacs from shooting anyone?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2015, 01:17:12 PM »
There is little or no chance of such a law being passed. I am sure the NRA would oppose it.  It would be one step in the right direction, but an unlikely one.

Who is going to appear to ruffle  through all the deceased's possessions?  How are we to know that he even OWNED a gun?

When my father died in 1986, we found a Colt six shooter in his desk drawer. Neither my sister not I knew anything about it, There were no bullets anywhere, other than a couple of ancient shotgun shells that belonged to my great grandfather, who died in 1952.

My sister asked me if I wanted it, I said, "no", and she took it to the city police station. I have no idea where it is now.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2015, 02:40:37 PM »
Of course there is....but that's besides the point, since its simply a question. The law abiding , would comply.....that's what makes them law abiding.  And since its not an effort to try and ban or abolish someone's 2nd amendment rights, I don't see what the problem is. 

So, let me ask it again, since you seem to find the need to rant about the notion of all these firearms living beyond their years, when their owner dies....Would you support a law that when a person passes away, any firearms he legally owns, gets automatically transferred to the trustee, or next of kin, or Power of Attorney, or designated person(s) in a will??  And if for whatever reason that person is not lawfully allowed to own a firearm, then the weapon must be sold to a dealer or another person legally able to own a firearm.  Hell, it could even be donated to the police or sheriff's dept.  And there'd be a time frame for this to occur.  That's a far more credible & passable law than trying to ban firearms.  Would you not support such an effort??
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 03:00:50 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2015, 02:48:43 PM »
......and she took it to the city police station. I have no idea where it is now.

This depends on the local rules at the time , a lot of things like this go to auction.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2015, 03:36:54 PM »
Yeah, sure, I would support it.

If you leave the next tooth that falls out of your face, I support the Tooth Fairy paying you $5 for it as well.
I doubt that the NRA would endorse such a law, as it changes the status quo, and the only status quo they have ever wanted to change involve more people carrying more guns into more places.

================================================
My sister is skittish around guns and cops and she simply left the gun in a bag with the cop on duty at the time.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2015, 10:48:06 PM »
Nice to see your inability to discuss the topic of firearms rationally remains stellar.      ::)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2015, 12:46:24 AM »
Only in your lame, twisted mind, little man.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2015, 01:37:55 AM »
Twisted is trying to claim a law about tooth fairies.  The legislation I was referencing would be credible & legitimate.  Not to mention could be supported by the NRA even, since its not about banning or abolishing access to firearms.  But since you can't argue this issue with any rationality, its no wonder you drift off to fairy land

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2015, 09:42:34 AM »
Why don't you suggest this to the NRA, then?

They oppose ANYTHING that does not actually make it easier for gun nuts to own a bazillion guns and strut about with pistols on their hips.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2015, 12:26:23 PM »
Because I'm not the one who thinks guns are going to possess someone after their master has died.  This type of legislation wouldn't impede anyone from owning "a bazillion guns" or strutting around with pistols on their hips. (not to mention that doesn't occur presently either, but that deflection is largely beside the point)  It's specfically addressing one your main issues with guns, that wouldn't actually be contrary to the 2nd amendment.  That's what makes it a serious point, vs your fairy-tale version

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2015, 07:15:11 PM »
  Why would this law be needed?

This seems like it would be more onerous to the poor than to the wealthy or middle class.

When poor people get heirloom guns , it is a bigger deal for them .

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2015, 07:25:29 PM »
  Why would this law be needed?

I'm trying to appease the professor's "biggest beef", where guns live past their original owners & move to other people, causing those folks to go into some diabolical murderous rage

But to be honest, I don't see it as onerous.  If the person in question wants to keep the firearm, they simply go thru a background check.  They don't have to pay for the firear(s).   If they dont't want the guns or can not lawfully possess them, then they sell them or donate them.  their choice

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2015, 08:39:32 PM »
  If the person in question wants to keep the firearm, they simply go thru a background check.  They don't have to pay for the firear(s).

Oh?

Well good , as long as we are not designing a new death tax.

Or a backdoor registration scheme.