Author Topic: SATW  (Read 5059 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: SATW
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2015, 08:40:47 PM »
This would be okay, except it is not going to be passed, or even proposed.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2015, 09:13:33 PM »
Why not?

Neither you nor I are very excited about it, so perhaps it is too reasonable to be useful to demagogues .

I see this proposal as a solution to a very small problem.

Is there evidence to show that there is a significant number of crimes committed with inherited guns?

Probably not ,a responsible gun owner would have a will that left the firearms in responsible hands, would a government program be able to improve on this?

Meh...

Useless mildly irritating law, the chief effect being more civil servants hired , potential union brothers, how could I oppose?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2015, 09:17:22 PM »
I don't think it is useless at all. The more guns are circulating in this country, the more likely that more will be used to shoot people here or perhaps exported to shoot people elsewhere.
Nearly all the illegal guns in Mexico have come from the US
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2015, 09:51:15 PM »
I don't think it is useless at all. The more guns are circulating in this country, the more likely that more will be used to shoot people here or perhaps exported to shoot people elsewhere.
Nearly all the illegal guns in Mexico have come from the US

Mexico has much more restrictive gun laws and a much smaller gun per capata rate.

But a pretty bad rate of violent crime .

Your central thesis here "The more guns are circulating in this country, the more likely that more will be used to shoot people.." has a problem in that it is very disconnected from practical experience.

If our gun laws were more restrictive , and our gun availability were more like Mexico, might our violence rates rise to México's level?

Probably not, there is a lot more going on than availability of guns to the public.

If it were impossible for guns to be sold south into Mexico out of the USA, but all else were the same , those narcotic smuggling gangs would still have no trouble at all getting plenty of guns. They are Millionaires , they can get guns from Belgium and China and Brazil

it is the common man in Mexico that suffers from the restriction that they have, and would suffer more if the restriction were tighter.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2015, 10:28:11 PM »
  If the person in question wants to keep the firearm, they simply go thru a background check.  They don't have to pay for the firear(s).

Oh?

Well good , as long as we are not designing a new death tax.

Or a backdoor registration scheme.

Absolutely not
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle