Author Topic: The First Thanksgiving  (Read 1303 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The First Thanksgiving
« on: August 03, 2015, 06:10:48 PM »
The First Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was named after an entire tribe’s massacre—not a peaceful meal between pilgrims and Indians.

In 1621, Wampanoag Indians investigated gun and cannon fire at a Pilgrim settlement to see them celebrating a successful harvest. The Indians—all male warriors, were fed as a gesture of peace. The act was not repeated annually.

In 1636, when a murdered man was discovered in a boat in Plymouth, English Major John Mason collected his soldiers and killed and burned down the wigwams of all the neighboring Pequot Indians who were blamed for the murder.

The following day, Plymouth Governor William Bradford applauded the massacre of the 400 Indians, including the women and children. The Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, William Newell, proclaimed: “From that day forth, shall be a day of celebration and thanks giving for subduing the Pequots.” For the next 100 years, every Thanksgiving Day ordained by a governor was in honor of the bloody victory, thanking God that the battle had been won.

Read more at http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/06/29/8-big-lies-history-books-tell-about-natives-155540?page=0%2C1

See http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/11/28/6-thanksgiving-myths-share-them-someone-you-know-152475 for more details on this massacre, and some other common myths about Thanksgiving.

What have you decided, Plane - is history malleable?
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: The First Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 06:39:40 PM »
Not one of our country's finer moments    :-[
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 08:26:32 PM »
  Truth is a concept , history seems to be another concept.

I would like history to be genuine , that is a personal preference.

There seem to be plenty of people who think of history as a political tool.

By controlling the historical education of the people I suppose they think to make the people malleable.

Lies are not the only problem, it also matters what truth falls into focus and what truth gets ignored.

I haven't heard before that the Thanksgiving holiday was connected to battle, that probably isn't what President Lincoln had in mind when he instituted it as a national holiday.

I was already aware tho ,.... that a lot of whitewash is found in history.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 08:39:34 PM »
Thanksgiving, and most all of the folklore that goes along with it, was adapted after the Civil War as a national holiday to unite the country.

Most of Indians in the Plymouth area had been wiped out by a plague that had come from Europe before the Mayflower landed.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."