Author Topic: Good news about income inequality.  (Read 4691 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Good news about income inequality.
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2015, 07:39:30 PM »
So in the US immigrants assimilate better, but the locals have much lower social mobility.
That is not what I would call a superior position.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2015, 11:07:51 PM »
So in the US immigrants assimilate better, but the locals have much lower social mobility.
That is not what I would call a superior position.

I think immigrants count as people in the society even if they never become citizens.

So the social mobility of the US has to be considered with the entire population we are serving, including immigrants and migrants and dependents.

Borders not withstanding.

Is Europe like this?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 02:34:23 PM »
In most of the EU, people move freely about, so there will be Portuguese in Norway and Germans in France. There are no border crossings between most EU countries. So there are two types of immigrants: EU citizens that are living in a country other than their own, and immigrants from outside the EU. I imagine that a Dutchman would blend in quite well in Belgium, or a Belgian in France, since they would speak the same languages (Dutch and French). A Syrian would have greater difficulty, especially if he did not speak the local language. Lots of Turks speak German, very few speak Finnish or Hungarian.

There is economic mobility, which is related to income, and cultural mobility which is related to  culture.

Economic mobility is higher in Europe for immigrants (the mix of EU citizens and non EU citizens) and higher in the US for cultural adaptation.
Iranians I know always take their shoes off indoors, and have at least one room where there is no furniture: people sit on cushions or on the floor.
In Hawaii the custom is to be barefoot in the house, Hawaiians have tile floors and go barefoot. Iranians wear socks or  indoor shoes (slippers).

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."