Author Topic: Riddle me this  (Read 13539 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Riddle me this
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2016, 08:58:28 PM »
Oops forgot

But religion itself is now in the spotlight here in the states. Before the church can say anything is not moral and never answer for it. Today eventually when someone will ask why? Strangely nobody has yet. Bothsides dont seem to want to go there

Perhaps it should not matter.

I don't agree with several tenants of Mormonism, but it should not be necessary for a Mormon to explain these to me so well that I start agreeing before he can hold the belief.

It is going to be totally impossible for homosexuality to reconcile itself to Christianity  but some churches have made homosexual pastors , deacons etc. should they have to explain this to everyone's satisfaction first? or just those who are fellow members?

There should not be a demand for a logical or scientific explanation for every religious belief, who would ever be qualified to make the determination?

Until it picks your pocket or breaks your arm , it is not your business what someone else believes.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2016, 09:05:32 PM »
The baker refusing to bake a cake is not boycotting the wedding couple with the intent of preventing the wedding.

Springsteen is refusing to play because of change in the status quo at the time of agreeing to perform and  scheduled the time of the performance. And he is clearly trying to change the state policy on bathrooms.

Right , the bakers are much less of consequence and much less coercive.
Also they disacomodate many fewer people.
How are they loosing their case?
Doesn't everyone who was planning to attend the concerts have the same case against Bruce as the wedding party had against the bakers? If not a stronger one, there are likely several bakers in town , but how many Bruce Springsteens are there?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2016, 09:11:46 PM »

Economic boycott such as this has long been used in the US.

Who should be forbidden to use this technique?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2016, 09:17:54 PM »
Question: "Did Jesus come only for the Jews and not the Gentiles?"

Answer: Jesus is the Messiah that the Jews had been anticipating for centuries (see Luke 2:25; 3:15). As such, He was born into a Jewish family and was reared according to Jewish law in a Jewish town (see Luke 2:27; Galatians 4:4). Jesus selected Jewish disciples, spoke in Jewish synagogues and the Jewish temple, and traveled mostly in Jewish areas. His mission, in fulfillment of the Jewish prophets, was to the Jewish people. However, none of this means that Jesus’ ministry was limited exclusively to the Jews.

In Matthew 15, there is an incident that, at first, seems to confirm the idea that Jesus came only for the Jews. Jesus was traveling through Tyre and Sidon, a Gentile region, and “a Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, ‘Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is demon-possessed and suffering terribly’” (Matthew 15:22). This Gentile woman recognized Jesus as the Messiah (“Son of David”), but “Jesus did not answer a word” (verse 23). As the woman kept up her appeals, Jesus finally responded, but His words seemed to hold little hope: “I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel” (verse 24). However, the woman did not give up, and Jesus eventually granted her request, based on her “great faith” (verse 28).

The fact that Jesus helped the Canaanite woman, even though His mission was to the Jews, is a significant detail in the Gospel narrative. Throughout His earthly ministry, Jesus gave other indications that His power and compassion reached to all people. He healed a Roman centurion’s servant (Luke 7:1–10). He traveled through the Gentile region of the Gerasenes (Mark 5:1). He ministered in a Samaritan city (John 4).

Jesus came to save everybody (1 John 2:2). Jesus Christ is God Himself (John 1:1). Jesus died on the cross as the payment for all our sins, and He rose from death in resurrection (1 Corinthians 15:3–4). Jesus said He was the Good Shepherd, and He predicted that His flock would be greatly expanded: “I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd” (John 10:16).

It took a while for the early church to recognize that salvation was available to the Gentiles. The Jewish Christians who fled the persecution in Jerusalem went into the Gentile regions of Phoenicia, Cyprus and Antioch, but they were “spreading the word only among Jews” (Acts 11:19). Peter was hesitant to bring the gospel to a Gentile household, but God made it plain that Cornelius was also one of the elect (Acts 10).

“Is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles too? Yes, of Gentiles too” (Romans 3:29). Jesus was the Jewish Messiah, but He had come to offer salvation to everybody. The Messiah was to be a “light for the Gentiles” (Isaiah 42:6). So call on Jesus, because “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved” (Acts 2:21).

Recommended Resources: Our Father Abraham: Jewish Roots of the Christian Faith by Marvin Wilson and Logos Bible Software.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-Jews-only.html

What did Jesus have to say about homosexuality?
BY ANN NAFFZIGER DECEMBER 9, 2011

(CNS photo courtesy Catholic Communication Campaign)
If you were to read all four gospels thoroughly in search of Jesus’ teachings on homosexuality it would be a futile endeavor. Not only would you come to the end of the gospels without finding anything attributed to Jesus on the subject, you wouldn’t even find a single reference to the issue in any context.
In fact, there are only a handful of references to homosexuality in the entire Bible, but they are found in the Old Testament and Paul’s writings. (To put it in perspective, while there are only seven references to homosexuality, there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of references to economic justice and the laws governing the accumulation and distribution of wealth.)

Jesus’ silence on the subject suggests that an issue which can be controversial and/or fraught with emotion these days was simply not a central issue in his lifetime 2,000 years ago in the land of Palestine. The fact that he didn’t address this issue leaves us all to ponder what he might say were he here today.

http://bustedhalo.com/ministry-resources/what-did-jesus-have-to-say-about-homosexuality

Jesus himself did not refuse sinners

Luke 15:1-2 ESV

Now the tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to hear him. And the Pharisees and the scribes grumbled, saying, “This man receives sinners and eats with them.”

https://www.openbible.info/topics/sinners

So, who are the hypocrites here?

The ones giving Bruce a pass while condemning the Christian baker for doing the same thing, although effecting exponentially far fewer people
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2016, 09:42:52 PM »
Question: "Did Jesus come only for the Jews and not the Gentiles?"

If Jesus didn't truly give the great commission to spread the word to everyone everywhere, then it is hard to explain the spreading and preaching the Apostles all got themselves killed with.

Jesus was loth even to condemn the Harlot caught in her crime or the Samaritan Woman of five husbands, so it is clear that Jesus did not consider sexual crimes unforgivable , but though he extended clemency he also said "Go and sin no more".

That is a little different than concluding that no sex act can be a sin.

Jesus was criticized in his time for spending time with publicans .drunks , tax collectors etc..
Didn't he reply that it is the sick that need a Physician ? 

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2016, 10:21:59 PM »
Economic boycott such as this has long been used in the US.

Yes they have!

American Family Association Sees Quarter-Million-Person
Response to Call to Boycott Target Stores

AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes, File

by Dan Riehl

23 Apr 2016 

Director of Government Affairs for the American Family Association (AFA), Sandy Rios, joined Breitbart News Saturday host Matt Boyle to discuss the problem with Target's recent decision regarding its store's public restrooms.

Rios said, "The Target department store chain has jumped into the transgender bathroom debate by declaring that men who claim to be women may use whatever bathroom or changing room they choose."

According to Rios:

The problem with Target's policy is that they are now opening their bathrooms, really welcoming and inviting people of all sexual persuasions to go into bathrooms, and I have in my hand probably a dozen articles of cases where men who were dressed as women abused or raped or molested women or children in bathrooms.

She went on to say that within 24 hours, the American Family Association heard "from close to 250,000 people already" in support of an effort to boycott Target:

The American Family Association is calling for a boycott of Target after the retail giant said it would allow men to use the women's restrooms and dressing rooms in their stores.

On its website this week, Target announced, "We welcome transgender team members and guests to use the restroom or fitting room facility that corresponds with their gender identity. Everyone deserves to feel like they belong."

This means a man can simply say he "feels like a woman today" and enter the women's restroom, even if young girls or women are already in there.

Rios continued by discussing AFA's proposed solution of adding a "gender neutral bathroom." However, she does not believe that would be enough to satisfy the Left.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/04/23/afa-sees-large-response-to-call-to-boycott-target/
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2016, 01:31:13 AM »
Actually what target is doing would embarrassed the gay community of sam francisco. They were thinking of protesting target but stopped due to economic reason . Gay by nature are fiscal conservatives so the protest never came to be and now this would definitely quash their past concern of the establishment.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2016, 06:36:12 AM »
Jesus came to save everybody (1 John 2:2). Jesus Christ is God Himself (John 1:1). Jesus died on the cross as the payment for all our sins, and He rose from death in resurrection (1 Corinthians 15:3–4). Jesus said He was the Good Shepherd, and He predicted that His flock would be greatly expanded: “I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd” (John 10:16).

===========================================================================================\
\
The Gospels were written AFTER Paul decided that the new religion he cobbled together would be composed mostly of Gentiles. Paul wrote Corinthians.

This desire to compare oneself to SHEEP is a metaphor for Paul's wanting the faithful to let the Holy Mother Church do all the thinking for the group. Sheep are not even as good at using their own minds as dogs and cats.  Why would any thinking human want to willingly be trapped in a sheep pen? Sheep are the most compliant of animals:they cannot exist without a shepherd, as all their reasoning facilities have been bred out of them.

They spend their lives waiting patiently to be shorn to clothe someone outside the flock or to be his dinner. I find the metaphor both accurate and disgusting.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2016, 12:04:16 PM »
I meant an explanation of the action like loss of business and such . Ex. Dietary laws has valid reason to back it up. But interestingly people of faith tend to not like that thiers a practical reason behind it.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2016, 01:32:12 PM »
I meant an explanation of the action like loss of business and such . Ex. Dietary laws has valid reason to back it up. But interestingly people of faith tend to not like that thiers a practical reason behind it.

I read a good explanation for this in the writing of J. Gould.

He said he told a Rabbi that the dietary law must have spared the people a lot of cases of trichinosis and other ills.

The Rabbi replied that this is missing the point. Obedience is the point and obedience doesn't depend on a known benefit.

God probably did know about the trichinosis, but didn't explain .

There might still be good reasons to do some of these things that we haven't found the explanation for yet, but however many good reasons other than obedience there are the real point would still be the obedience .

Obedience is the virtue it is, even, or especially when it costs some time, money or harm to be obedient.
The discovery of germ theory and other stuff that makes these look like good hygiene habits might be a distraction from the real point.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2016, 03:09:29 PM »
Like the parental do as I say not what I do.

Only recently I learned from being with kids how important that expression is . It does seem wrong until you find some kids have not have the ability to make safe judgements and can mistakenly make unsafe actions. Example you walking across the street and jaywalking looks the same to young child.

But obedience among adults is another matter .

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2016, 04:39:38 PM »

I like the way you say God PROBABLY knew...

Much of China is subtropical and pigs are a favorite food.  Red tides in the Mediterranean can make shrimp dangerous. Of course, the Hebrews were herdsmen and preferred  easily herded animals, like goats, camels, cattle and sheep.

Every boss would like his workers to be unquestioning sheep. Shut up and do what I say, it is good for you!
Paul had a thing about women women, They were only good for reproduction, but Jesus was a-coming before any could give birth, so they were practically useless. Paul told them thdey7 were banned from talking in church. Imagine that: a church in which the church ladies were silenced by the rules.

The impossibly long list of commandments about food, dress and customs  caused the Jews to become experts at disobeying the  intent of the law without actually breaking it. The annotated Torah has dozens of words of explanation for  each word of text.  The Jews noticed that God does not give any feedback, so they became experts in what can be described as "tricky ways of getting away with shit".

A house can be defined as a wire around entire cities. An elevator can be set to go up and down automatically and no one is "lighting a fire on Shabbos". Women can cover   their heads with wigs that look exactly like their hair and not violate the commandments.

Their is a reason Freud had so many Jewish women patients in his practice. Neurosis is a rather Jewish ailment. Following silly rules in practice while violating the spirit of the law is a Jewish knack.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2016, 08:49:35 PM »

I like the way you say God PROBABLY knew...

Sometimes it is cumbersome to be entirely correct , but you caught me in a shortcut I should have avoided.

God definitely knew the truth, it is my supposition that deserves the weasel words.

It might be the disease that the Jews were avoiding by being obedient , but since this is not scriptural ,it is a "probably" and an "I suppose". If it turns out the real reason was something even worse I shouldn't be surprised.

God has an entire right to give orders without explanation, and supposing that the obedience was serving to prevent injury, the shirker that found a technicality for an obedience in word but not deed would find himself with a case of trichinosis without an explanation as well.

The hypocrisy of the  Pharisee seems like one of the complaints Jesus made often, he didn't like that they made the embellishments and explanations of the law so that the law kept getting harder and harder to obey. The Pharisees were making the law a bigger load for the people to carry , but not themselves.

So Jesus asked ..Was the law made for man , or was man made for the law?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2016, 03:20:05 AM »
Muslim financial practice is quite conservative and shown extremely safe. But people who practice it prefer to believe allah rewarded them then think it's just goid common sense for money.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2016, 06:14:59 AM »
God (assuming he is omnipotent) presumably has the right to do as he chooses.  Or so we presume. That is what the Holy Fathers call the Doctrine of  Omnibenevolence: whatever God does is the proper thing and may not be questioned by the faithful. The shepherd cannot be judged by the sheep.

Hence the disgusting metaphor that we humans are sheep. How can a sheep have free will? Please!

An all-knowing being who knows the future was unjust to torture poor Job on a bet with Satan, because he knew the outcome.

That was unjust, no matter what the rights were. Jehovah was quite frequently a dick in the Old Testament.

When Jesus killed a fig tree for not producing figs out of season, that is an example of  Jesus being a dick as well.

Anyone who did these things would be a dick.

Being divine does not mean one cannot be a dick.