Author Topic: Riddle me this  (Read 13525 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Riddle me this
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2016, 06:55:32 PM »
  The trouble with the Omni benevolence idea is that God can do right and hurt you.

Being nice to everyone all the time is not what he promised and frankly I can't see what it would accomplish if he did.

Being divine does not mean one cannot be a dick.

Keep this in mind when you get insulting in that direction.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2016, 10:10:11 PM »
I make no claims to being divine.

We keep hearing of how "God is Love"and references to how God/Jesus loves us. But that is a direct conflict with the bit where human beings, condemned since birth because of something their 200th great grandparents ate, then get judges and tortured for all eternity.  The whole story sucks, EXCEPT as a way to scare people into supporting the priesthood.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2016, 10:57:35 PM »
I make no claims to being divine.

We keep hearing of how "God is Love"and references to how God/Jesus loves us. But that is a direct conflict with the bit where human beings, condemned since birth because of something their 200th great grandparents ate, then get judges and tortured for all eternity.  The whole story sucks, EXCEPT as a way to scare people into supporting the priesthood.

This only puts you on the wrong side of Pascal's Conjecture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_Wager

You suppose that if God is loving , he cannot be just.

So Heaven is not closed to anyone, Hell has no business?

To me this seems like a case of oversimplification.

A just God isn't packing heaven with troublemakers.

Hey I just remembered St. Brendan.

Lots of charming stories.
This one is about the difference between heaven and hell.

Saint Brendan was shown a room in hell where starving people were fastened to seats side by side, and had spoons a little longer than their arms fastened to their hands , with good food set before them they were helpless to convey it to their mouths , they screamed and beat each other with those spoons, frustrated and starving .

Saint Brendan was then lead to the corresponding room in Heaven, where the saints were fastened to the same sort of chair with the same sort of spoon fastened to their hands and they were given a table full of food in the same way. They quietly began feeding each other.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2016, 01:02:31 AM »
Torturing an inferior being for an eternity cannot be made into a  just act, no matter what the motive. It just can't.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2016, 03:14:05 AM »
I think it influence night gallery atouch

https://vimeo.com/123823735

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2016, 05:00:26 AM »
Torturing an inferior being for an eternity cannot be made into a  just act, no matter what the motive. It just can't.

Can it be avoided?

If you simply segregated all of the people so that the more pleasant portion was together , the remainder will be miserable anywhere they wind up.

Think about Charles Manson and Adolf Hitler sharing a little bungalow in Hawaii forever.

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2016, 08:14:16 AM »

God, in the Old Testament, was not always depicted as loving, forgiving, etc. That God is a later development.

BTW, God was originally referred to as plural. It was later that God was referred to as a single entity.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2016, 10:36:52 AM »
Depends on who you ask, and the religion involved.  IIRC, at no time has the Christian God ever been referred to in the plural.  That includes biblical scripture
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2016, 11:46:28 AM »
at no time has the Christian God ever been referred to in the plural.  That includes biblical scripture

FLASH!

The word Elohim is PLURAL.

What does the    commandment say?

Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Pay careful attention to the wording: it does NOT say, "worship no God but Me because I am the only God there is."

It instead suggests in the wording, that there are other, lesser gods that exist, and you must not treat them as splendidly as Me, the Great Kahuna of all Deities.

You may say prayers to the God of Household Pests to keep his minions out of the house.
You may pray to the Lightening God to not zap your kids, pets and livestock when it rains.
We know that there were household gods, as images of them are found regularly in archeological digs, even in Hebrew settlements.

Of course, Christianity does not proclaim, as does Islam that there is ONE GOD.  No. It alludes to THREE deities: the Father,  the Son and the Holy Ghost. How can three be one? How can one be three? It is a "Mystery of the Faith". At least that is what St Thomas Aquinas said.

The Christian First Commandment should be modified.
Thou shalt have no Gods before US: And we are three: the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost.
The household deities suggested by the First Commandment were sort of forgotten and ignored by Christian theologians. They had enough to worry themselves about the Trinity to mess with the Deity of dust mites, or the  Lord of Fungi.

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2016, 12:45:41 PM »
Depends on who you ask, and the religion involved.  IIRC, at no time has the Christian God ever been referred to in the plural.  That includes biblical scripture

Check òut Genesis.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2016, 02:36:08 PM »
I have.  You'll have to be more specific.   I'm referring to rhe Christians, who followed the one and only God, and that includes before Christ's birth.  Every prominent biblical person,  be ir Adam, Abraham, Moses,  Joseph, etc., all referred and followed a single God. 

Now, their could be references to ofher religious practices, by thise that didn't follow the Christian God,  but as I said initially, that'd be a different religion being practiced
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2016, 03:52:24 PM »
Genesis 1::26 - Then God said, ‘Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.

Genesis 3:22 - And the Lord God said, ‘The man has now become like one of us.'

Elohim  (Greek Adonai) is one of the primary titles of God (used over 2,500 times in the Old Testament); both Elohim and Adonai are plural forms.

This contradicts other passages in the Old Testament where God is referred to as a singular god.

The Holy Trinity of Christian belief appears to be an attempt to reconcile this disparity.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2016, 04:13:23 PM »
Genesis 1::26 - Then God said, ‘Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.

That'd be God, not Gods

Genesis 3:22 - And the Lord God said, ‘The man has now become like one of us.'

See above

The Holy Trinity of Christian belief appears to be an attempt to reconcile this disparity.

God is the trinity......yet still 1 God...as taught in the Christian faith

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2016, 06:50:37 PM »
  This an example of the royal "we"?

God definitely told Abraham and Moses that he was singular.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy+6:4&version=NIV

Deuteronomy 6:4

4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.

[][][][][][][]

The Trinity is another thing, I do not consider the Trinity to be as well supported in scripture as some other tenants.

The Trinity is offered by apologists to explain Jesus referring to the Father and the Holy Ghost as if they were different from himself, but this is not specifically what he says.

Lets not exaggerate how sure we are of a triviality, it is entirely possible that the Father, Son and Holy Ghost are as separate as my left, right and center which seems the best way to understand the Trinity.

Or what Jesus was talking about , might be something we haven't puzzled out quite yet.

What is the importance of it really?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2016, 09:43:28 PM »
Jesus referred to himself both as a son of man and a son of God, but then the Hebrews referred to God as their father.
What Jesus diod not say at amy moment that he was God the Father.  And no, the Messiah was not God's son at all, but a second King David.