Author Topic: Riddle me this  (Read 13569 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Riddle me this
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2016, 10:21:55 PM »
For someone not educated and practiced in the Christian religion perhaps.   Christians however acknowledge and recognize only 1 God.  And Jesus is the son God.  Simple as that
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2016, 10:42:41 PM »
Islam is simple: there is but ONE GOD, Allah and Mohammad is his messenger. THAT is simple,

But

The Trinity is not a simple concept at all. Nor is the Holy Spirit, which is barely mentioned in the NT and not even once in the OT.  The Holy Mother Church recognizews this and hence calls is a "Mystery of the Faith", which is essentially the way that theologians say "Just BECAUSE that's why: now shut up about it."

I think I know more about Christianity than you do sirs.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2016, 10:49:00 PM »
I can't vouch for Islam, nor do I have any intention to.  In the Christian religion, there is but 1 God.....no ifs ands or buts
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2016, 10:52:12 PM »
Jesus referred to himself both as a son of man and a son of God, but then the Hebrews referred to God as their father.
What Jesus diod not say at amy moment that he was God the Father.  And no, the Messiah was not God's son at all, but a second King David.

Why did Jesus tell his disciples he had to go, making room for the comforter , the Holy Spirit?

People speak of their selves as compartmentalized all the time, does the concept of your having an Id and a superego make it impossible that you are one person?

One thing I note is that Jesus never says that God is plural , nor does he say anywhere that God has only three aspects.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2016, 10:54:17 PM »
Islam is simple: there is but ONE GOD, Allah and Mohammad is his messenger. THAT is simple,

How many Names does God have ?

Ask an Imam.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2016, 11:00:23 PM »
One thing I note is that Jesus never says that God is plural , nor does he say anywhere that God has only three aspects.

That is entirely true.  what does "making room for the Holt=y Spirit" mean, anyway? Is Heaven crowded? Is the Holy Spook obese? Does he carry a lot of baggage? Where was he before Jesus had to make room for him?

The Trinity was devised by the Holy Mother Church after Jesus died, came back and stayed gone for 100 years or so.
Christianity is a fusion of several other mystery religions: Gnosticism, Manicheanism, Mythraism. Even Pythagoranism. The triangle is sacred.

For a human religion to have TWO deities, the logical set would be a male and a female. Two dudes is not gonna be seen as holy.  But with three, they can have three males.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2016, 11:06:45 PM »
For a human religion to have TWO deities, the logical set would be a male and a female.

Why?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2016, 12:29:51 AM »

He is not required to.  It's a given, based on clear text of the Bible.  God is God....not GodS, nor male vs female.  Nor is heaven a literal concept where height, weight, or anything"human" is involved     ::)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2016, 05:08:19 AM »

That is entirely true.  what does "making room for the Holt=y Spirit" mean, anyway? Is Heaven crowded? Is the Holy Spook obese? Does he carry a lot of baggage? Where was he before Jesus had to make room for him?

I probably cannot really answer this .

But I will think about it , and give it a try later.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2016, 01:08:53 PM »
    For a human religion to have TWO deities, the logical set would be a male and a female.

Why?

DUH!

Name a couple.
Batman and Robin, Burt and Ernie, Thelma and Louise.

Humans come in two sexes. Hence one of each is logical, two of the same sex is illogical and makes up question their sexuality.
That makes two Gods worse than either one or three. Father & Son + some ethereal spirit is a better combination than just Batman and Robin, the Green Hornet and Karo, Cisco and Pancho, Laurel and Hardy,  Lucy and Ethel.

Anyone can see the sense in that.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2016, 01:21:49 PM »
And again, that based on a human concept......one that God transcends.  God is not constrained by the intelligence or even "logic" of a human

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2016, 05:09:10 PM »
OOOOOOOOOOOO!

Mysteries!

God does not obey the laws of physics!

God can make 2+2 = 45 if he so desires!

You like to believe nonsense.

Will God reward you for it?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2016, 05:55:35 PM »
OOOOOOOOOOOO!

Mysteries!

You're finally catching on

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2016, 08:32:02 PM »
OOOOOOOOOOOO!

Mysteries!

God can make 2+2 = 45 if he so desires!

You like to believe nonsense.

Will God reward you for it?

On at least one occasion 0+0= amazingly huge amount of Mass and Energy.

The big Bang is pretty much unexplained , that is why one word for the event is "singularity".

There are other singularities , like the location within the event horizon of a black hole.

Places where the passage of time and the behavior of matter and energy do not follow the rules we are accustomed to.

According to some theories singularities are pretty common, on a submicroscopic level, with matter springing into being all the time.  If this is true we gotta quit calling them singularities.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2016, 08:50:33 PM »
There may or may not be some sort of Creator. I find the idea that there is a moral spirit to be more dubious.
If there is a God, the Bible is not his word,.. It is obviously the work of some rather primitive priests and such and is far too silly  to be taken as the word of any omniscient being.

I found the concept of the Star Trek TNG Q Continuum to be interesting, and it made more sense than all that washed in the blood of the lamb stuff.