Author Topic: P-53  (Read 810 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
P-53
« on: May 07, 2016, 09:24:55 AM »
  http://www.sinobiological.com/p53-TP53-Protein-a-2444.html?gclid=CPvmjZz3x8wCFQgxaQodBRcIVg

Involvement in disease:  Note=TP53 is found in increased amounts in a wide variety of transformed cells. TP53 is frequently mutated or inactivated in about 60% of cancers.

I just learned that the Barnum Elephants are retired , they will go live on a ranch, but this doesn't make them useless. They will be studied in cancer research.

Elephants catch a lot less cancer than Humans do, perhaps because they have a lot more of the growth moderating protein P-53 .

As lab animals go , you won't find many more expensive , but since Ringling Brothers , Barnum and Bailey Circus has got to retire them anyway, might as well let them be useful.

This has the potential for discovering a pill that reduces your odds of catching cancer 60% or so and perhaps also improving the effectiveness of treatment about that much. This is a big deal.

Elephants are long lived and highly intelligent , they communicate with one another a lot.

If the Human Race learns from the Elephant how to live a lot longer and have a lot less painful disease, what do we owe them?

Do we already owe something to mice?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: P-53
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 10:08:36 AM »
We can pay the elephants easily. They will work for peanuts.
Mice will eat almost anything.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 04:33:28 PM »
  I don't think this pays the debt.

These animals are doing a lot to help us stay alive , do we owe them effort twards preventing their extinction?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 09:37:41 AM »
I am all for preserving elephants and other threatened animals. By the way, African elephants are the ones being wiped out. Asian elephants are in a much better situation, as many of them are domesticated.

I think I am 100% in favor of wiping out the disease carrying mosquitoes. They were among the Creator's bad ideas. Or evolution's mistakes,as from a human perspective.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."