Author Topic: Pence says condoms are "too modern"  (Read 3904 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pence says condoms are "too modern"
« on: August 16, 2016, 09:41:47 PM »

Daily Beast Targets Gay Olympic Athletes For Harassment »
Mike Pence: Condoms Are Too Modern
August 11, 2016 by Michael Stone 170 Comments

Mike Pence claims condoms are too modern, and too liberal.

Donald Trump’s running mate is a dangerous Christian extremist who wants creationism taught in public schools and believes the government should pay for gay conversion therapy.

In addition, in 2015, as Governor of Indiana, Pence allowed an HIV outbreak to spread, choosing prayer over a clean needle exchange.

But perhaps one of the most idiotic claims made by Pence is that condoms are too “modern,” too “liberal,” and offer a poor defense against sexually transmitted infections and diseases.

Pence’s bizarre and unsubstantiated claims concerning condoms came in 2002, in response to then-Secretary of State Colin Powell saying in an MTV forum that sexually active young people should protect themselves with condoms.

At the time Powell said:

I think it’s important for young people, especially, to protect themselves from the possibility of acquiring any sexually transmitted disease, but especially to protect themselves from HIV/AIDS, which is a plague that is upon the face of the earth.

In an interview with CNN, while advocating for abstinence only sex education, Pence said Powell’s call for condom use could mislead millions of young people and put their lives at risk.

Pence told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer that it was “a sad day” because Powell had suggested condoms over abstinence:

Well, Wolf, I think it was — given the enormous stature that Colin Powell rightly has, not only in America but in the world community — it was a sad day. I don’t think any administration has had a worse day since boxers and briefs on MTV. And the truth is that Colin Powell had an opportunity here to reaffirm this president’s commitment to abstinence as the best choice for our young people, and he chose not to do that in the first instance, but — and so I think it’s very sad.

The other part is that, frankly, condoms are a very, very poor protection against sexually transmitted diseases, and in that sense, Wolf, this was — the secretary of state may be inadvertently misleading millions of young people and endangering lives.

Pence then went on to suggest that condoms are “too modern,” and too “liberal,” for him:

The problem is it was too modern of an answer, Wolf. It was — it truly was a modern, liberal answer to a problem that parents like me are facing all over America, and frankly, all over the world.

Of course Pence is wrong. His claim that condoms are a “very poor protection against sexually transmitted diseases” is easy to debunk. The CDC reports:

when used consistently and correctly, condoms are highly effective in preventing the sexual transmission of HIV infection and reduce the risk of other STDs.

As for condoms being “too modern,” reports indicate many ancient cultures used some form of condoms, and a famous cave painting in Dordogne, France, shows a man practicing safe sex circa 11,000 B.C.

In more contemporary times, rubber replaced animal intestines in condoms around the mid 1800s, and latex replaced rubber in the 1920s.

Needless to say, there is nothing modern about condoms.

Bottom line: Pence is an ignorant and dangerous religious extremist. By disseminating false and misleading information about condoms, Pence demonstrates that he is willing to endanger the health and welfare of young people in order to promote his demented, right-wing, conservative Christian, puritanical agenda.
- See more at: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2016/08/mike-pence-condoms-are-too-modern/?ref_widget=popular&ref_blog=laughingindisbelief&ref_post=the-atheist-pig-nate-brunswick-pt-1#sthash.rVWDrV1T.dpuf
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Pence says condoms are "too modern"
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 12:13:42 AM »
  So scientifically , what is the failure rate for condoms for prevention of STDs particularly Aids?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 01:28:12 PM »
Whats the failure rate of abstinence. Meaning a person who previously decide to be abstinence but failed to adhere to it. I understand many if not all supporters only believe it's only a do or do not situation with no exceptions. But the exception is they had sex despite they decided not to. Which opens to people who has no other alternatives like condoms.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 01:40:37 PM »
Condoms are quite effective at preventing pregnancy. I would imagine the same is true for STD's.

http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/answered-questions/explanation-condom-failure-rates

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 03:22:26 PM »
if you think about it condoms should be supported by the abstinence crowd since it`s the least fun form of safe sex. it`s super crazy easy to convince a man to not use it. it even insulting for some people to use. it`s hardly acceptable.

a man can brag about not using a condom and have kids he can`t afford. but using a condom is shameful. notice abstinence is not even mentioned

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 05:02:53 PM »
Condoms are the least fun form?
Putting them on can at times be problematical, but they do not seem like a great hindrance to me.

Pills, loops subcutaneous shots are all things men do not need to bother with
Female uterine dams are certainly a bigger mess than condoms.

My parents used only condoms and douches and never had any unwanted pregnancies. There is some Catholic website that has a whole bunch of false statistics.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 06:37:44 PM »
It takes very little to get a guy to not use a condom.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 11:16:05 PM »
Whats the failure rate of abstinence. Meaning a person who previously decide to be abstinence but failed to adhere to it. I understand many if not all supporters only believe it's only a do or do not situation with no exceptions. But the exception is they had sex despite they decided not to. Which opens to people who has no other alternatives like condoms.

This form of failure is alike for abstinence and condoms, it fails to be used.

This should not be part of the answer I am looking for , when they are used properly, how much does disease  transfer happen anyway?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 11:21:20 PM »
Condoms are quite effective at preventing pregnancy. I would imagine the same is true for STD's.

http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/answered-questions/explanation-condom-failure-rates

That is more like a real answer.

Thanks.

"typical" use is a separate category  , I suppose, because there is more "typical" use than "proper " use?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 08:53:30 AM »
"typical" use is a separate category  , I suppose, because there is more "typical" use than "proper " use?

I doubt that there is any way of getting a valid study of the percentages of typical and proper use.
You would need to have observers in an atypical setting. The fact that people are observed would surely skew the results.

A combination of douches and condoms would reduce the failure rate to near zero.
My parents  and their brothers and sisters had no accidental births. No one had over three children, spaced in the way that Dr Spock advised.  This seemed to be the case in most of the Protestant families where I grew up.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 12:35:45 AM »
  So is it fair to say that the failure rate for condoms overall is ....   a little over 10% for preventing the spread of STDs?

With a rate of five percent or less for people who use it entirely correctly?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 05:09:28 AM »
Yes

But those data include the same situation as abstinence. It include people who intend to use condoms but did not.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 09:25:11 AM »
The fact is that young people are not very likely to refrain entirely from sex based on what a president says or what Colin Powell or any such figure says.

If people, mostly men, are equipped with condoms, they are more likely to use them. If they take some "pledge" to refrain entirely from sex, then they will not use condoms and a greater number of unwanted pregnancies will result.

Pence simply showing that he is some form of extremist fundamentalist here.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 02:33:08 PM »
No , he is just honest with the math.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked: