Author Topic: I cant really condemn colin k  (Read 6643 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I cant really condemn colin k
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2016, 03:53:29 PM »
Again, I have to disagree....citing my friend, who was MORE than qualified, not to mention the proper skin color, but that should be irrelevent, he simply didn't have enough physical "talent" (if you want to call it that) to get thru the Police Academy
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2016, 03:59:50 PM »
Im just pointing out these are very different disaplines and not be thought of as levels of difficulty

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2016, 04:14:59 PM »
And I'm just pointing out its Colin trying to blurr the 2 as if they are largely the same thing, sith similar "challenges" & difficulties
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2016, 04:36:54 PM »
Are you saying that anyone exercising their 1st amendment right, that happens to be hurting profits, can be fired?  Really?

Well, Hell yes!

Of course they can. Remember Jimmy the Greek? He was fired for stuff he said. Earl Butz was a Secretary of Agriculture that cracked some mean joke about Blacks and he was outta there like a flash.

The First Amendment protects people from being punished by the government for expressing themselves. It does not protect them from being fired. There is no constitutional right to a job.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2016, 04:39:35 PM »
Are you saying that anyone exercising their 1st amendment right, that happens to be hurting profits, can be fired?  Really?

Well, Hell yes!

Well, good to know.  Thanks for the honesty

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2016, 04:43:06 PM »
I have never fired anyone for anything. But it is true that a person can be fired at any time for any reason or for no reason at all.

Capitalism allows this and always has.

It is not a matter of my honesty. I did not make the policy.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2016, 05:24:34 PM »
Capitalism has squat to do with this.  This is simply highlighting that you apparently have no problem with someone being fired for exercising their 1st amendment rights.  And my response to that was good to know....thanks for your honesty.  Nice, albeit weak, attempt to try and deflect that position onto some supposed capitalism boogeyman

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 09:36:45 PM »
Colin K. is more specifically protesting cops needlessly shooting Black people, There is an article in The Nation magazine that sums up his protest eloquently.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2016, 10:02:44 PM »

Well, Hell yes!

Well, good to know.  Thanks for the honesty

I think he is mostly right.

When a firing is for obviously prejudicial reasons there may be a court case to make of it, but this isn't often easy to prove as real reasons are often offered along with red herrings.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2016, 01:53:22 AM »
I don't doubt folks are fired for spouting off.  The issue is can one be fired simply by exercising their 1st amendment right to protest.  Xo believes that's an acceptable action.  That's really all that's going on here.  I don't believe I claimed he was wrong.  I was just amazed he supported the action

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2016, 09:19:56 AM »
I did not at any moment say ti was acceptable, I said it was LEGAL, In fact, I think it should be illegal. You cannot fire people because they are women, because they are old, or because if their race if the person can prove it. The reality is that when a person is fired he STAYS fired. If he wins a case, as a rule, the company pays some sort of compensation, which is almost always confidential.

They can certainly fire this football player for his refusal to stand. But I don't think they will. It would make the owners look like dicks (which they would be) and many fans would stay home.

As I said, there is an article in the Nation about his position, which clarifies it a lot.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2016, 10:17:19 AM »
Sure you did.  Because this was a football player, you were almost giddy that it might happen

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2016, 11:35:21 AM »
i'd find a way to get rid of his sorry ass!

NFL executives blast 49ers' Colin Kaepernick, don't believe he'll play in league again
http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/09/colin_kaepernick_nfl_executives.html
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2016, 12:08:11 PM »
As i said before he was never a likeable player so its doubtful he had a strong contract to protect him from this . We had actual felonies in the nfl and they get protections because their much more popular.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2016, 01:27:31 PM »
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987