Author Topic: Trump stiffs wedding caterers.  (Read 5286 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Trump stiffs wedding caterers.
« on: October 02, 2016, 06:13:55 PM »

By Christine Lavin:

Today I did something I never did before — I ‘defriended’ someone who chastised me in a letter about how offended she was by “Trumped Up Cards,” and how she wanted me to know she was voting for Trump. This was not a fb friend, but someone who subscribes to my website newsletter (christinelavin.com). So I told her a true story I’ve known about Trump since 1994.

An actor friend of mine worked for a caterer in 1993. It was a new caterer, and this caterer was thrilled to land the kind of job that can really boost a career — catering Donald Trump and Marla Maples wedding. At the time she wondered why he didn’t hire other caterers he’d used in the past, but just thanked her lucky stars he hired her.

Everything went beautifully — the food was a hit, the waiters/waitresses all were totally professional. Everything was first rate.

Donald Trump refused to pay the bill. He told the caterer, “I know you are new at this, and when you tell people you catered MY wedding, you will get more business than you could ever dream of. So I am doing you a favor. And when I do favors, I don’t pay. End of discussion.”

She couldn’t believe it — she sent numerous bills — ignored. She threatened to sue — he said “Go ahead. I don’t lose in court.” She explored suing, but came away knowing it would cost her high legal bills, and wouldn’t be worth it. After more than six months of his stonewalling she ended up paying her staff out of her own pocket, though couldn’t pay them fully or she’d be out of business. So Trump stiffed not only her, but her staff, her chefs, her busboys.

This is not a story I recently heard — it’s one I heard 22 years ago. We know many stories like this now. The woman who wrote to me today said, “I know you have a big heart and won’t hold it against me, but I wanted you to know I’m 100% for Trump.”

I wrote back, “I may have a big heart, but it’s not that big. Goodbye.”

Should she write back to chastise me more, her email will go straight to the trash where it belongs.

Trump seems to think that he is some sort of royalty. Like Her Royal Britannic Majesty, Elizabeth.
Lots of British companies attach  a label to their products stating, "Official purveyor of fine (whatever) to HRH Queen Elizabeth II" .
\
I have no idea whether her Royal Majesty pays for the stuff she buys. I suspect that she does.

But apparently Trump thought that he should get his wedding catered for free because other lesser customers would flock to a caterer who catered to him and his second wife (or was it the first?)
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Trump stiffs wedding caterers.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 07:13:40 AM »
   So will Trump treat the creditors of the USA the way Fidel Castro treated investors in Cuban industry?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 09:04:58 AM »
Trump does not run a country, dimwit. Just as Fidel's behavior should inform prospective investors not to invest in Cuba, lest their assets be seized, the American voters need to understand that Trump is a shameless conman who thinks he can bully people and get away with everything he wants with impunity.

We should not vote for Castro should he run for the presidency (not something that is remotely possible) and we should not vote for Trump.

Also, we should refuse to offer any product or service to Trump or Castro unless he pays us cash up front in full. 

Trump is a fucking deadbeat that refuses to fulfill his obligations. There was an understanding that after Trump's wedding, Trump would pay for it.

There was no understanding that Castro should pay for assets in Cuba before he took power. The agreement to pay was made with Fulgencio Batista, not Castro.

So Trump is worse than Castro, and we can and should refuse to allow this creepo to take over our country, because he does not honor his promises.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 07:44:49 PM »
Trump is a fucking deadbeat that refuses to fulfill his obligations. There was an understanding that after Trump's wedding, Trump would pay for it.

There was no understanding that Castro should pay for assets in Cuba before he took power. The agreement to pay was made with Fulgencio Batista, not Castro.

Will this principal be in play when Trump is running our executive functions nationally?

I might be worried that he would aggrandize a fortune while in office , but I should not worry Bill and Hillary Clinton became multimillionaires from a standing start while in the presidential office.

I know they rented nights in the Lincoln bedroom , but there must have been some other things going on.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 02:42:51 PM »
Hillary has nothing whatever to do with Trump stiffing the wedding party arrangers.
NOTHING in this discussion has one Goddamned thing to do with Trump being a deadbeat asshole.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 03:08:44 PM »
Hillary has nothing whatever to do with Trump stiffing the wedding party arrangers.
NOTHING in this discussion has one Goddamned thing to do with Trump being a deadbeat asshole.

Only pointing out that this is more a similarity than a difference between them.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 06:38:37 PM »
Well, Hillary is far less a selfish asshole than Hillary. I am pretty sure the caterers at Chelsea's wedding got paid for their efforts.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 07:33:41 PM »
Well, Hillary is far less a selfish asshole than Hillary. I am pretty sure the caterers at Chelsea's wedding got paid for their efforts.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/chelsea-clinton-3-million-wedding-budget-article-1.200176

Looks like you are right, that was a lot of outlay.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 12:19:37 AM »
Chelsea Clinton's first wedding was at least as big a social occasion as Trump's second wedding. Note that the Clintons apparently paid the price that was quoted, while Trump thought that his wedding was like some sort of royal event and that the publicity would be of enough benefit to cpver the costs of the rice, champagne, waiters, cake, food and booze.

Trump is NOT a "mensch": he is a gonif.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 04:37:14 PM »
this points out something about businesses in dealing with the wealthy. trump is not the only one who stiffed people and the reasoning is if you comlain you very likely lose your businesses. so truth fully most vender do charge a rich people fee to the ones who are at risk. also budget it so the lose will be minimul. basicly trump from now on has less resources to run his business and a harder time getting loans to start a business

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 08:29:22 PM »
  I would like to see Trump deny or refute this charge.

This is a real injury to credibility.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 08:39:36 PM »
No country needs to have a gonif for president.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 09:40:48 PM »
Do you happen to know the Yiddish word for a woman completely free from honesty?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 12:39:23 PM »
Come off it. I am really getting pissed at you for blathering about how Trump is somehow less of a jerk because of some right wing crap about Hillary.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 02:33:15 PM »
i think both should not be treated like the actions of one effect the other. they should view on thier own merits or lack of. the lesser of two evils means we need to propose a system  if we got crappy candidates we get like a emergency option which the country is on auto pilot till we can fix this. it also mean total embarrassment to the candidates. they all need to be punished for forcing this situation. basicly a sort of temporary default mode so the country will still fully function.