Author Topic: Coulter Said What?  (Read 54123 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Coulter Said What?
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2007, 12:05:35 PM »
If you can't respect Plane, of all folks, that's a pretty sad commentary on your objective disposition

Who asked you?

You'll no doubt figure it's sad that the reason I've lost respect for Plane is that he keeps trying to set the Republicans up as somehow better than the Democrats, or anyone else. That they get treated more poorly by the press when they screw up than the Democrats - feh! That they police themselves better when one of them gets in trouble - didn't see any evidence of that with DeLay, et al, who tried to hang in their and keep their grip on power until it became almost impossible for them to do so.

The Republicans are no better than the Democrats, or anyone else. They wallow in just as much mud, and get just as dirty. No better at all - just different. Plane used to be able to see through all the BS and see that. Now he's just as partisan as, well, you are. I guess when you have to spend all your time defending a loser administration, you lose your objectivity.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2007, 12:07:46 PM »
Thank you very much Stray Pooch , it warms the cockles of my heart to see you say this...

You might wanna check that cockle over there on the right, it seems to be smoking...

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2007, 12:42:43 PM »
I really hesitate to get into this debate, but since it seems to rely so much on semantics I think you should at least use the correct quote from Coulter:

"I was going to have a few comments on the other Democratic presidential candidate, John Edwards, but it turns out that you have to go into rehab if you use the word 'faggot,' so I'm - so, kind of at an impasse, can't really talk about Edwards, so I think I'll just conclude here and take your questions."

On Hannity and Colmes she said:

"faggot isn't offensive to gays; it has nothing to do with gays."

Interestingly she has subsequently lost advertisers from her website including Verizon, Sallie Mae, and Netbank. Link
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2007, 01:20:15 PM »
Interestingly she has subsequently lost advertisers from her website including Verizon, Sallie Mae, and Netbank. Link

So? What's that have to do with demands for denouncing?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2007, 01:50:48 PM »
Interestingly she has subsequently lost advertisers from her website including Verizon, Sallie Mae, and Netbank.

One has to wonder why those on the left that claimed that radio stations not playing the Dixie Chicks' music was an unfair limitation on their freedom of speech, yet do not denounce this action as an unfair limitation on Coulter's freedom of speech.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2007, 01:51:46 PM »
So? What's that have to do with demands for denouncing?

I don't think I said it did. I just said it was interesting.

In my opinion this is just standard Coulter fare. She lives on being controversial. It will probably help Edwards raise a few bucks and probably help Coulter get a few more speaking gigs.

In the grand scheme of things Coulter is utterly meaningless. She won't change anyone's minds. She doesn't really debate anything, even the Grey's Anatomy point she was raising. I'm doubtful that she really even understands the world around her beyond writing diatribes and making a lot of money for it.  
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2007, 02:04:00 PM »
If you can't respect Plane, of all folks, that's a pretty sad commentary on your objective disposition

Who asked you?...The Republicans are no better than the Democrats, or anyone else. They wallow in just as much mud, and get just as dirty. No better at all - just different. Plane used to be able to see through all the BS and see that. Now he's just as partisan as, well, you are. I guess when you have to spend all your time defending a loser administration, you lose your objectivity.

Yea, I guess all those times I'm spending in condeming Bush's policies on immigration, the GOP's insidious pork spending, and out-of-control bloated fed bureacracy, and even "gasp* those areas of the war in Iraq that went awry, I'm really secretly defending it all.  Good thing we have H here to be able to read my mind vs read my type     ::)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2007, 03:06:37 PM »

My reason for posting the story in the first place was to disagree with the demands for denouncing. Please try to follow the thread.

And you'll note that my comments in this thread have not, until now, addressed what you said in your initial post. I agree that we shouldn't blame all Republicans for what Ann Coulter said. Please try to follow what other people say.

And the reason for the demands was that she directly called Edwards a faggot, which she didn't.

Was it? I don't recall seeing that claim made in your initial post. And the part you put in bold was the sentence "At some point, Republicans will need to get over their issues with homosexuality." And then your comment was that Ed Morrisey is wrong because "Ann Coulter made the statement. Ann Counter is the one who needs to get over her issues with homosexuality." So I had the impression that your complaint was about "Captain Ed" broadbrushing all Republicans with Ann Coulter's issues. A complaint with which I agree.

My objection, if you'll recall, was about the lame suggestion that Coulter did not intend the word 'faggot' to reference John Edwards because she might have been talking about something else. You asked if Ann Coulter had "a record of speaking perfectly sequential English" and then offered up a run-on sentence as an example of non sequitur phrases in a single sentence. In response to my post, you suggested she made such non sequitur comments all the time and then started in on the "directly calling Edwards a faggot" bit. Prior to that, I had not said that she made such a direct statement. But I will stand by something else I said later, it's a bit of semantics to claim she didn't call him a faggot because she didn't specifically say "Edwards is a faggot."

Oh please. Pull the the other finger to use your favorite phrase.

"Pull the other one" means "pull the other leg"

Your previous post laid accusations of defending Coulter upon anyone who dared stray from your disdain for her and then called those same people no longer worthy of being considered reasonable conservatives  because they obviously thought exactly like Coulter but didn't have the courage to express those thoughts outright.

Wow. Coulter gets "she didn't directly say that" but suddenly I'm accused of meaning all sorts of things I know I did not say. And you're accusing me of being inconsistent? I'll apply another of my favorite phrases here. Physician, heal thyself.

or is that not what you meant to say

No, that isn't what I meant to say and is not what I did say. I am guessing that perhaps you intended to have me defending myself and trying to explain that I didn't mean what I said the way you took it, and then you could step in and say that I was being unreasonable to criticize Coulter when she didn't directly say blah blah blah. Let's not be silly. Coulter clearly intended to say exactly what she said, and intended the word 'faggot' to refer to John Edwards. To try to explain it away as some sort of bizarre non sequitur where "but it turns out that you have to go into rehab if you use the word 'faggot,'" somehow does not refer back to the first part of the sentence, "I was going to have a few comments on the other Democratic presidential candidate, John Edwards," is completely ridiculous. No one is forcing her statement to mean anything other than exactly what she said.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 03:10:51 PM by Universe Prince »
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2007, 03:21:21 PM »
So you are saying she called him a faggot and anyone who disagrees with you is engaging in semantics.

So be it.

I don't believe she did.

And that really has nothing to do with Morrisey's lumping in CPAc members with Coulter simply because they were there when she spoke. Pooch btw was the one who inroduced the demands for denouncing. Don't buy that either.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2007, 03:37:00 PM »
Interestingly she has subsequently lost advertisers from her website including Verizon, Sallie Mae, and Netbank.

One has to wonder why those on the left that claimed that radio stations not playing the Dixie Chicks' music was an unfair limitation on their freedom of speech, yet do not denounce this action as an unfair limitation on Coulter's freedom of speech.

Boy ain't that the truth.  Perhaps chalk this one up to another version of the "fairness doctrine", where it's only specific speech that should not be tolerated....with that usually being 1 side.  The other side is always simply excercising their 1st amendment right to free speech and to dissent       :-\
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 05:26:54 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2007, 03:49:21 PM »

So you are saying she called him a faggot and anyone who disagrees with you is engaging in semantics.

She clearly used the word 'faggot' in reference to Edwards and anyone who claims she did not is making excuses for her. It's one thing to disagree over whether or not people give tacit approval by not denouncing her, and another to excuse what she said because she didn't phrase it in a direct manner.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2007, 04:10:20 PM »

Who asked you?

You'll no doubt figure it's sad that the reason I've lost respect for Plane is that he keeps trying to set the Republicans up as somehow better than the Democrats, or anyone else. That they get treated more poorly by the press when they screw up than the Democrats - feh! That they police themselves better when one of them gets in trouble - didn't see any evidence of that with DeLay, et al, who tried to hang in their and keep their grip on power until it became almost impossible for them to do so.

The Republicans are no better than the Democrats, or anyone else. They wallow in just as much mud, and get just as dirty. No better at all - just different. Plane used to be able to see through all the BS and see that. Now he's just as partisan as, well, you are. I guess when you have to spend all your time defending a loser administration, you lose your objectivity.

H, I consider your respect valuable and I am sorry that I have diminished it.

I would like to have it again someday but I intend to earn it without harming my self respect.

I am telling you what I actualy think , you may think it incorrect in fact , but it is still what I really think, and so ,telling you something elese would be less honest.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2007, 04:24:25 PM »
[ That they get treated more poorly by the press when they screw up than the Democrats - feh! That they police themselves better when one of them gets in trouble - didn't see any evidence of that with DeLay, et al, who tried to hang in their and keep their grip on power until it became almost impossible for them to do so.

The Republicans are no better than the Democrats, or anyone else. They wallow in just as much mud, and get just as dirty. No better at all - just different.

I don't think that being Republican makes one saintly , I was deeply saddened by the conviction of Rep. Cunningham who had given the nation many years of good service with courage , phisical and moral , before he succumbed to the corrosion of power.

I do think though that Rep Jackson is probly guilty of simular crimes and will not quite as likely be taken to court because he is a Democrat.

I think Tom Delay left power for  the good of his party and the Congress because he was indighted and that is the rule , however the accusation he was under at that time has collapsed and his persecutors had to come up with another one to keep him under indightment. I am not at all sure that Tom Delay will ever be convicted of anything , but not because the prosicutors are not busy trying hard to dig something up.

Ann Colter makes her liveing being snide, I often find her funny , even when she crosses the line enough to make me cringe .

If one were to make a comparison of her gags , one for one , insult for insult , reference to homosexuality for reference to homosexuality , with Robin  Williams , Chevvy  Chase, Michael Richards or Whoopi Goldburg ,  why should we suppose that Ann Colter would lead the pack in unacceptable insults?

Who really is the Leftist counterpart of Ann Colter?

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2007, 04:40:44 PM »

I don't know, I never made the above argument. I thought that the country radio stations not playing the Dixie Chicks was dumb and a bit hypocritical, but I don't recall ever saying it was a First Amendment issue.

For my money Coulter has said far worse anyway.

BT

Of the people on this board you've always been one of the ones I have respected the most. You have always had that southern common sense viewpoint (even if you are a Republican ;) ).

"I was going to have a few comments on the other Democratic presidential candidate, John Edwards, but it turns out that you have to go into rehab if you use the word 'faggot,' so I'm - so, kind of at an impasse, can't really talk about Edwards, so I think I'll just conclude here and take your questions."

Now I'm not saying anyone has to apologise for anything. But isn't it a little disengenuous to claim that she wasn't going to insult Edwards? I suppose you could argue that she wasn't going to call him a "faggot" and claim that she was saying any insult might get her in trouble - but she specifically chose Edwards and the term "faggot." It seems a little blatant to me.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2007, 04:58:30 PM »
Now I'm not saying anyone has to apologise for anything. But isn't it a little disengenuous to claim that she wasn't going to insult Edwards? I suppose you could argue that she wasn't going to call him a "faggot" and claim that she was saying any insult might get her in trouble - but she specifically chose Edwards and the term "faggot." It seems a little blatant to me.

But ya gotta hear it with just your right ear to be able to tell there was no connection. None at all.