Author Topic: Bill Gates on immigration reform  (Read 1286 times)

The_Professor

Bill Gates on immigration reform
« on: March 21, 2007, 03:41:32 PM »
I have freinds in the IT industry who are livid over this.

Bill Gates backs immigration reform on Mexico trip
Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:58 AM ET

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates, the world's richest man, said on Tuesday the United States should reform its immigration laws and give more flexibility to higher-skilled foreign workers.

Speaking at a conference in Mexico, the birthplace of millions of immigrants to the United States, Gates said reforms "would be helpful so we are predictable, so we are clear."

"I'm a big believer that as much as possible, and there's obviously political limitations, freedom of migration is a good thing," Gates told reporters.

Visiting Mexico last week, President Bush reiterated his support for an overhaul of immigration laws that would include a temporary guest worker program.

Mexicans make up more than half of the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in the United States. Mexico is upset at U.S. plans to build a security fence along parts of the border to curb illegal crossings.

Tens of thousands of Mexicans sneak into the United States every year in search of work, mainly manual jobs in fields, factories and restaurants.

Gates, who runs a foundation with his wife that is the world's largest charity, said flexibility of movement for higher-skilled workers was especially important for his global company.

"I think every country in the world should make it easier for people with high skills to come in," he said.

In a recent address to a U.S. Senate committee, Gates said scientists and engineers from India and China working at his giant software firm routinely waited more than five years to get a U.S. green card.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bill Gates on immigration reform
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 05:21:57 PM »
Well, I'm in IT, and this is one of the few things I agree with Gates about.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 05:40:17 PM »
Never fear competition.

The_Professor

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 11:59:40 PM »
Well, I'm in IT, and this is one of the few things I agree with Gates about.

I happen to agree, but I would be interested in hearing YOUR view on this issue, being in IT as you are, Ami.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 01:04:06 AM »
I happen to agree, but I would be interested in hearing YOUR view on this issue, being in IT as you are, Ami.

I'm not afraid of competition. There will be very few people coming into this country from Mexico that will be able to take my job. Even if there are hoards of them, and they work cheap, I command a higher salary because of my skills; there will always be companies that will be willing to pay for talent.

And if there are not, then I can always move to India or where ever.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 02:05:04 AM »
I'm not afraid of competition either.

Adaptation is the key for survival of the species. The job is not what it was 25 years ago. Come to think of it the job didn't exist 25 years ago. RIght now i deal with folks in India and the Ukraine, don't see where halting high tech immigration would protect anything.