Author Topic: Did you know?  (Read 919 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Did you know?
« on: March 25, 2007, 11:23:18 PM »
Iraqi Kurdistan is technically occupied by a foreign power, but this occupation surely ranks among one of the most absurd in human history. Dr. Ali Sindi, advisor to Prime Minister Nechervan Barzani, told me that South Korea is the official occupier of “Northern Iraq.” Korean soldiers are stationed just outside Erbil in a base near the airport. He laughed when he told me the Kurdish military, the Peshmerga (“those who face death”), surround the South Koreans to make sure they’re safe.

Every couple of weeks another government somewhere in the world drops their travel advisory for Iraqi Kuridstan. The regional government sends me an email every time it happens. It is always seen as yet another milestone passed on the road to independence from Baghdad. Not only is Kurdistan recognized as separate from Iraq, it is also recognized as different from Iraq. Iraq is dangerous, but the north really isn’t.

REad the whole post at:

http://www.michaeltotten.com/archives/001407.html

The_Professor

Re: Did you know?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 11:43:24 PM »
"...What I do know for sure is that Baghdad is burning and Kurdish power is rising. The question up north isn’t whether Iraq will come apart, but only when, how, and into how many pieces."

Good point made here in the article. And the article is very insightful. The Kurds are laughing right now at the rest of the anarchy in Iraq and building a nice little nation of their own, which must aggravate the Turks to no end.