Author Topic: Gates 'respectfully' disagrees with Reid that 'war is lost'  (Read 1549 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gates 'respectfully' disagrees with Reid that 'war is lost'
« on: April 20, 2007, 03:54:31 PM »
Friday, April 20, 2007

BAGHDAD (CNN) -- Defense Secretary Robert Gates, in Iraq to meet with commanders and assess the progress of the Baghdad security crackdown, said Friday he disagrees with the Senate majority leader's declaration that the war in Iraq has been "lost."

"I have respect for Harry Reid," Gates told reporters on Friday. "But I respectfully disagree with what he said."

Reid, D-Nevada, made his remarks in the Senate on Thursday, a day after a particularly bloody day in Baghdad, when nearly 200 people were killed in six bombings. He indicated he believes that Gates held the same view about the war now.

"I believe myself that the secretary of state, secretary of defense and -- you have to make your own decisions as to what the president knows -- (know) this war is lost and the surge is not accomplishing anything as indicated by the extreme violence in Iraq yesterday," Reid said.

Article
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

domer

Re: Gates 'respectfully' disagrees with Reid that 'war is lost'
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 05:04:05 PM »
BT, to my mind, this begins to focus things (as apparently Senator Reid's comments do). Answering this question -- in a bipartisan way -- would certainly advance the discussion. Nonetheless, the answers would be tentative, elusive, speculative by the very nature of the  inquiry based on facts as they are now perceived, let alone how contingencies may spring up and develop. Either way, it will in the end analysis being a wager, either a good one or a bad one. Moreover, Secretary Gates does not address (in the quoted article) the issue of cost vs. return, and link that not only to political will but the dictates of national and world interest judged by principles objective as we can muster.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 06:24:45 PM »
I appreciate your attributing that post to me, but alas i can not take credit for things i dd not do.

Ami is the one your post should be directed toward.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 06:45:35 PM »
Ami is the one your post should be directed toward.

Yeah, but Domer does not think I'm worth speaking to, so, like a child, he speaks over my head to my parent.

;-)
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

domer

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 07:46:36 PM »
Ami, as to your comment: nonsubstantive and petulant.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 07:54:29 PM »
Ami, as to your comment: nonsubstantive and petulant.

Yeah, pretty child-like, huh?

domer

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 08:00:03 PM »
I actually don't know what you're talking about: an error in addressing one of my comments (which is petty but you perseverate about like it was an obsession upon which your life depended), or the content of my comments about Gates's recent statement? If it's the latter, I suggest that all who can't see the wisdom in it aren't thinking straight or, reprising a theme, peevish.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 08:01:40 PM by domer »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 11:48:14 PM »
If it's the latter, I suggest that all who can't see the wisdom in it aren't thinking straight or, reprising a theme, peevish.

or not.