Author Topic: Faith and Science  (Read 6185 times)

domer

Re: Faith and Science
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »
The "hands off religion" orientation (or the "live and let live" approach) is both a polite and wise way to handle personal relations. The trouble is, as we're seeing now with fundamentalist Christianity in the United States, and, for example, with Roman Catholicism through a great portion of the history of Europe, religion melds with or intrudes upon the public realm in arguably noxious, imperious ways such that religion itself becomes a player in the struggles of the polity, and a target.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2007, 06:07:39 PM »
Knowing that evolution is a more plausible reason than 'creationism' is better for the same reason that knowing that the Earth revolves around the Sun and not vice-versa. Knowing true facts is always better than knowing bogus ones.

All sexuality develops around the time of adolescence, so it is not uncommon that a gay orientation would develop 'later in life'.

I don't think that gay people are per se more successful in life than hetero people, or less so. It is highly probable, however that gay people in the Castro of SF are more productive, for the same reason that people that live in Tribeca or near Central Park in Manhattan are more productive: one must have money to live there, and one must be productive to have money as a rule.

The various books of the Bible were probably NOT written by their alleged authors. Authorship was nopt seen than as it is now. If I felt that St Peter or St John had inspired me, I could easily claim that they, not me, was responsible for whatever it was that I wrote. If what I wrote was closer to what the Church heirarchy believed or found convenient, my writings could actually be chosen over those of a real disciple.

What was the probability that a simple fisherman like Peter was literate?

It is not at all clear that Jesus was literate. There is no record of him ever writing anything, to anyone.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2007, 06:20:36 PM »
well I wouldn`t say succesful in life
that`s just not gonna happen
just saying that their more inclined to do well.
hard to call a people successful if most  want them to not exist ever.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2007, 01:08:03 PM »
The "hands off religion" orientation (or the "live and let live" approach) is both a polite and wise way to handle personal relations. The trouble is, as we're seeing now with fundamentalist Christianity in the United States, and, for example, with Roman Catholicism through a great portion of the history of Europe, religion melds with or intrudes upon the public realm in arguably noxious, imperious ways such that religion itself becomes a player in the struggles of the polity, and a target.

Should a religion not advise its adherants how to live and deal with others?

Shouldn't the Government eschew this function as much as possible?