Author Topic: Ayman al-Zawahri  (Read 9861 times)

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ayman al-Zawahri
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2007, 02:00:48 PM »
<<MT, if you hate America so greatly, why then live in a nation that is our closest friend? Doesn't this make you guilty by association?>>

I don't hate America, Professor, I'm just totally disgusted with them right now and I let it show.  What is America anyway but the sum of its parts?  Some of the parts I hate, some I love.  The bad parts are in control right now - - you could say that I hate Bush, but it's more the guys around him, he's basically an empty suit - - but the war in Iraq wasn't an accident - - it was engineered, and I hate the people who engineered it.  I hate the people who carry it on.  I hate the torturers and the murderers.

Thre used to be a good side to America, but I see that the good is more and more submerged every year by the bad.  It isn't getting better, it's getting worse.  Interests have taken over the political process and they've infiltrated both sides of the political spectrum.  That's why it didn't really matter whether Kerry or Bush won the last election.  That's why it doesn't matter that the Democrats won control over the Senate and the House - - they grandstand and play to the anti-war votes but they won't defund (as BT delights in pointing out) and they won't change a God-damn thing.

I feel bad that I came across as hating America -- you know I have more aunts, uncles and first cousins in the U.S.A. than I do in Canada.  One of my daughters lives and works in Manhattan and my two grandchildren are U.S. citizens.  Both of my daughters went to grad school in the U.S. with my blessing, one at Columbia, one at NYU.  (I insisted that all three of my kids get their undergrad degrees here in Toronto.)  America was a great country with the brightest future of any country on earth.  More than that, it really was, for a time, the "hope and beacon" of the human race.  But it's going down.  A military-industrial complex has figured out how to get things done their way under the facade of a "democracy" and they aren't letting go of the levers.

Ever since the fall of the Soviet Union, America has had a free hand in the world.  It was able to act without restraint and it gave in to its worst impulses.  There's only one thing that can stop America in its evil tracks, and that's the rise of a new world super-power, China maybe, or if we're lucky, India.  But it won't be in my lifetime.  All I can look forward to is more Abu Ghraibs, more Panama Cities.

Thank you for the clarification, MT.

It might surprise you, but, to a large degree, I agree with you. I see America in a decline since probably the mid sixties. I see much of it due to a moral decline that then permeates throughout the culture.

As I have stated before, I also deplore some of the actions of this Administration. I also agree with some as well. But then again, I said this during the Clinton Administration. Then I disagreed with many of their positions on social issues; this is the one "bright star" in THIS Adminsitration. This "foray" into Iraq is deplorable, simply senseless (Sorry, Sirs). Afghanistan was a different matter. As UP would agree, I believe we need to back off and mind our business a little more. And by "our business", I mean a more narrow interpretation than the neocons.

I also admire much about Canada. They do well on the international scene with the resources they have. I tend to think they are much too liberal on some issues, but, nevertheless, they are a fine nation. Sometimes I wish we were less interventionist as Canada is...sigh.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 10:21:32 PM by The_Professor »
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2007, 02:08:42 PM »
Then I disagree with many of thier positions on social issues; this is the one "bright star" in THIS Adminsitration. This "foray" into Iraq is deplorable, simply senseless (Sorry, Sirs). Afghanistan was a different matter. As UP would agree, I beleive we need to back off and mind our business al ittle more. .

No need to apologize Professor.  It's ok to be wrong from time to time.   ;)

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2007, 03:11:38 PM »
<<Must have missed the part where I specifically referenced "when democrats ran everything".  You'll note I didn't qualify it as when only Democrat Presidents were running things.  That's ok though, you're forgiven>>

Seems like what I really missed was how the Democrats "ran everything" during the eight years of the Eisenhower administration.  Maybe you could explain that to me sometime.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2007, 03:27:33 PM »
<<It might surprise you, but, to a large degeree, I agree with you. I see America in a decline since probably the mid sixties. I see much of it due to a moral decline that then permeates throughout the culture. >>

I'm not really surprised, Professor, I know you've expressed those thoughts on Iraq before.  But it's hard to agree on the moral decline because our standards of morality are very different.  When you speak of moral decline, I'm sure you're thinking Roe v. Wade, gay liberation, gay marriage, pulling the plug on Terry Schiavo, stem cell research - - all stuff that I approve of and support, to varying degrees. 

I'm not happy about abortions, I don't think it's a golden, shining moment for Western Civilization when a mother has to still the life within her for any reason.  It's almost unbearably sad that something that began in an act of love is choked off and killed by the mother that nurtured it.  I might not personally do it if I were a woman - - but I have to say that nobody can tell that woman what purpose her body is to be put to or what God expects of her - - that is her decision and hers alone.   Similarly with gay liberation and gay marriage - - I would be devastated to learn that my son or my grandson were gay; there's no way I could turn that into something postitive.  But would I support them or any other  gay person in an effort to  live their lives as they see fit, to marry or not without the State intervening to tell them what they can or cannot do?  Absolutely.

"Moral decline" obviously is a very subjective assessment.  I would say that in the right-wing areas of concern that they consider "moral values" (from which, curiously, most of them have excluded Thou-shallt-not-kill" violations from their area of concern, at least with regard to non-Christian victims) all seem to involve areas of Constitutional concern as well, and what they consider to be a moral decline, others might see as more of an expansion of Constitutional rights over how they were previously interpreted by the Courts.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2007, 04:26:40 PM »
<<Must have missed the part where I specifically referenced "when democrats ran everything".  You'll note I didn't qualify it as when only Democrat Presidents were running things.  That's ok though, you're forgiven>>

Seems like what I really missed was how the Democrats "ran everything" during the eight years of the Eisenhower administration.  Maybe you could explain that to me sometime.

Must have missed that part where I responded "ok, 1 time.  Yea, that refutes all else"  It's ok, given the source, I'll forgive that one as well     ;)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 04:48:27 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2007, 04:36:58 PM »
Back when we had prayer in every classroom we were nicer .

coincidentally

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2007, 04:51:20 PM »
But to be honest Plane, I've simply been joking around with these lastest responses, (*snicker*, smiley faces, etc. were kinda a quailfier to those posts).  So if you or Tee are taking them too seriously, I'm not sure what else I can say

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2007, 05:14:44 PM »
But to be honest Plane, I've simply been joking around with these lastest responses, (*snicker*, smiley faces, etc. were kinda a quailfier to those posts).  So if you or Tee are taking them too seriously, I'm not sure what else I can say

I am not hurt .

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2007, 05:16:34 PM »
Cool     8)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2007, 06:31:09 PM »
<<Must have missed that part where I responded "ok, 1 time.  Yea, that refutes all else"  It's ok, given the source, I'll forgive that one as well >>

Actually, I thought I responded to that with a snide little post that pointed out my regrets that there had only BEEN one time between FDR and Nixon when the Republicans were in control of the Executive Branch.  But I looked back up the thread and didn't find it.  However, that was my response.  I gave due credit to the Republicans for a better U.S.A. back in the day.  To the extent that I was able, given the fact that they weren't in office all that much.  Sure a lot of the good things in America came from Democrats, but I didn't claim they only came from Democrats.   

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2007, 06:47:31 PM »
I gave due credit to the Republicans for a better U.S.A. back in the day.  To the extent that I was able, given the fact that they weren't in office all that much.  Sure a lot of the good things in America came from Democrats, but I didn't claim they only came from Democrats.   

LOL....yea, 1 Republican president, out of all the other Presidents & congress critters over the years.  Yep, that really refutes my little snicker of a comment        ::)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2007, 10:17:06 AM »

coincidentally

Except to the blacks...

I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2007, 10:21:52 AM »

coincidentally

Except to the blacks...

That is back when Blacks were nicer to each other than they are now.

The government has gotten better twards racial minoritys , what have the people done?

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2007, 11:32:47 AM »
That is back when Blacks were nicer to each other than they are now.

Source?

The government has gotten better twards racial minoritys , what have the people done?

Just the government? Or has society and the attitudes of whites gotten better as well?

Is prayer in school mandated by Christianity?
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2007, 02:25:15 PM »
We had the Lord's Prayer at the start of each school day.  It seemed OK to me because it never mentioned Jesus.  It didn't do any harm and it didn't do any good.  I don't know anybody who took it seriously.  It was just something you had to do.  Some just mumbled along, some didn't.  A complete and total waste of everyone's time.