Author Topic: Romney Raises Funds in Tennessee  (Read 863 times)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Romney Raises Funds in Tennessee
« on: June 04, 2007, 01:52:57 PM »
I've been told by a few Republican friends of mine (yes, I do have some ;) ) that they really like Romney and see him as having fewer negatives than the two big names of McCain and Giuliani. Of course, they want Thompson to run.

As for Romney's humor...ugh.

From the Tennessean

Romney's quips, message score points at fundraiser

By BRAD SCHRADE
Staff Writer

Published: Sunday, 06/03/07

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney used comic timing, steady criticism of Democrats and broad Republican themes to ingratiate himself with a crowd of Tennessee party fundraisers Saturday night.

The former Massachusetts governor won points with the 800-person crowd, heavy with Fred Thompson supporters, by making light of a situation that could have been uncomfortable. Tennessee Republicans have been buzzing for days about the comments Thompson made last week that he plans to run for president.

"I know there's been some speculation among Republicans about a certain former senator from Tennessee getting into the presidential race," Romney said during the state Republican party's annual Statemen's Dinner fundraiser at the Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center.

"Everyone is waiting and wondering, all the hype is building," he said. "I feel great comfort in the fact that no one in this room, not a single person, will be voting for Al Gore."

The crowd burst into laughter.

Romney went on to talk about the importance of electing a Republican, touching on security, immigration, family and health care.

"I was impressed," said Jerry Kemp, a Republican from Brentwood, who attended the $280-a-plate fundraiser.

"I thought he kind of lightened the situation. I liked what he talked about."
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.